• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
Azz, you're a very naughty boy :spank:

The difference you will hear in the engine from standard fuel to 98 is huge.

Treat your bike like a girlfriend - spoil her ;)

Will it get rid of that dreaded phantom rattle?
I can't find it, it's not oil, and it's only there after she warms up?!

Can always give it a shot I guess :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Can always give it a shot I guess :D
Give it a go - not Shell though....

It's not that more expensive, considering you're only putting in about 16 litres.

Make sure you tell us what you think :thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

:D

I'll bet you any money the rattle your talking about is the Cam Chain Tensioner :thumbup: Its Yamaha's trademark sound , you cant get rid of it :D Unless you buy a set of SCORPIONS :rockon:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
MOBIL Premium Unleaded
A 98 RON octane rating premium fuel manufactured to meet Australian Fuel Quality Standards.

Yeah mate thats what I tried lastnight , so far im happy with it :thumbup: there was no pinging at low RPM in the traffic this morning , throttle response is crisp & idle is definately smoother :thumbup: Still cant explain where the decel popping has gone though :don'tknow:.. If i can get 300ish K's to the tank I think i'll be coverted ;)

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted a similar thread to this a while back, and if i remember correctly, somene told us that Caltex premium & Mobil premium are the same fuel???
FRom Wolfman

Mobil is owned by Esso (Exxon) and their oil comes from Bass Strait. Depending on when it was processed, I can tell you what well it came out of because I have a keen interest in Exxon shares and oil exploration in Bass Strait. Most fuel is processed at Long Island Point plant.

Higher octane fuel burns easier and cleaner.
When I had my WRX a couple of years ago, I leant it to a Barrister from Canberra for a couple of months while I was overseas. I told her to put premium in it as it went further and was actually cheaper in the long run than 91 octane. Being a cheap ass, she put 91 in it an ran between Canberra and my house at Lorne a couple of times and complained of the poor economy of the Subaru. About 400kms per tank.

When I drove it to Canberra on 98 Octane I was back getting 500km a tank and she didn't believe me, mind you, I drive a lot harder than her.
The Yamaha is the same in my opinion. I really think some petrol stations have 91 octane in their 95 octane tanks and pass it off as premium.

Rumps.

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
Ok, so I just tried out BP Ultimate, while filling up, I was complemented on my bike :D (not that that has anything to do with it :BLAA:).

I'm fairly sure there was more power throughout the rev range, I'm scared to go hard in first now haha.

Pretty sure you's have me converted :D.

Now, what's better than BP? Haha

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I just tried out BP Ultimate, while filling up, I was complemented on my bike :D (not that that has anything to do with it :BLAA:).

I'm fairly sure there was more power throughout the rev range, I'm scared to go hard in first now haha.

Pretty sure you's have me converted :D.

Now, what's better than BP? Haha

Nitrous Oxide

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
More news on the Ultimate.

The engine feels a lot smoother at high revs now, I've been revving the tits off her all arvo :D.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never seen that one here

They'll probably have some avgas at Willowbank, or Warwick. Anywhere there is a drag strip:D.

As for the FZ6 going harder on different fuels......I did 50,000km in 15 months on my FZ6, and can't really say there was any difference. You'll get much more difference from riding on a crisp cool evening. They just love the cool air.:rockon:

I use the 98's 'cause they burn cleaner, but if I can't get them, I don't worry too much. A mix of 91 in with the last of my 98 won't mean my plugs will instantly foul up:rolleyes:.

And treat your bike much better than you would your girlfriend:D. When has a chick ever performed as well as an FZ?:eek::BLAA::rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They'll probably have some avgas at Willowbank, or Warwick. Anywhere there is a drag strip:D.

As for the FZ6 going harder on different fuels......I did 50,000km in 15 months on my FZ6, and can't really say there was any difference. You'll get much more difference from riding on a crisp cool evening. They just love the cool air.:rockon:

I use the 98's 'cause they burn cleaner, but if I can't get them, I don't worry too much. A mix of 91 in with the last of my 98 won't mean my plugs will instantly foul up:rolleyes:.

And treat your bike much better than you would your girlfriend:D. When has a chick ever performed as well as an FZ?:eek::BLAA::rockon:

I'm with Mikey....Our fuel is pretty good quality overall...no matter what the octane rating...

Re the Girlfriend thing....never once has my bike complained when i have ridden her hard all day...as for....

:D

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
As for using 91, I'm not for the 'treat her mean, keep her keen' argument.
Back to the fuel :D
I've always fuelled up with Caltex 98. Never had any problems. Yes, some pops, but having a set of Two Bros on its all fun and games.
However after reading roughly 4 pages of posts regarding BP 98, (better fuel economy, smoother response) I'll have to give it a go.
(Cheers for the thread Rumpy)

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
some useful information here, and here is some more.
Say you are travelling and don't want to worry about fuel money for the trip. If you consume alcoholic beverages in large amounts and are concerned you may consume fuel money well try this.
Bp have prepaid fuel cards, $25, $50 and I think $100.

I bought one not long ago and it works well.
Say there are 2 of you travelling together, hey buddy, my shout for fuel, your shout for grog, aye what (and I am a tea totaller)!!

Yeah BP does have some good things going for it aside from thee deep well drilling techniques in the Gulf.

Rumps.:thumbup:

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You just have to offer the right amount of money.......

I've ridden the carp out of an FZ6 for over 500km in the twisties in the space of a day, with nothing under 8k rpms. Then gone out again that night for some more. If I tried going that hard for that long with a chick they'd be locking me up for murder:BLAA:...lol.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No point trying Mobil Synergy here in Adelaide now, BP are buying out 29 of the Mobil stations here.. Handover within a month.

I'm gunna try the Caltex 98 next week when I fill up though.

:rockon:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
I only seem to use the Caltex 98 stuff. Although I get about 200km's per tank (Thats not running it until completely empty, prob about 3.5ltrs left)

Only go there because it is the closest, BP is a bit of trek and also alot more expensive. Only use 98 though as it is pretty cheap to fill up :)