"There's your problem!"

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys talking about Evos and WRXs - psh - go with a poorly engineered Volvo 300hp 6speed AWD sports sedan like me and join in the pain of replacing a slave cylinder located inside the bell housing. I'd normally take a crack at it myself, but the job of dropping the engine, swapping out the clutch, flywheel and slave/master cylinders seemed like a lot - especially when it's been 20*F here and I'd have to ride the fazer 35 miles a day for work. 10+ hours of shop labor and parts hurts - bad.

I still love the car but maintaining this guy is going to kill me. Let's just say an electronically controlled suspension is awesome until the shocks go bad.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys talking about Evos and WRXs - psh - go with a poorly engineered Volvo 300hp 6speed AWD sports sedan like me and join in the pain of replacing a slave cylinder located inside the bell housing. I'd normally take a crack at it myself, but the job of dropping the engine, swapping out the clutch, flywheel and slave/master cylinders seemed like a lot - especially when it's been 20*F here and I'd have to ride the fazer 35 miles a day for work. 10+ hours of shop labor and parts hurts - bad.

I still love the car but maintaining this guy is going to kill me. Let's just say an electronically controlled suspension is awesome until the shocks go bad.

See.. this is another thing I love about my protege5.. it couldn't be simpler!! Doesn't even have ABS! Simple manual trans + FWD. Gonna miss that part of it. They don't make anything this simple anymore.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the initial leaning out problem (running crappy), somewhat related an issue I had about a month ago.

My OLD Ryobi 725r weedeater, would not idle down, half throttle or better only. Adjusted the carb, cleaned the carb, no help...

Finally found that the TWO bolts(the newer versions have 4 bolts), that secure the cylinder to the block (two stroke) loosened up. The engine was sucking air AFTER the carb screwing up the mixture big time.

The gasket was found to be fine, ended up replacing (from a spare parts weedeater) the two bolts that have actual ridges, to dig into the aluminum block (and act as lock washers). Some RED loctite applied too. Runs great now!!!

Note: I did have the old bolts safety wired with lock washers (had the same issue many years ago) but it still wasn't enough, with the vibrations, to keep those two bolts tight..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Its just nut in bolts man.... I can say I've been there before. Used to do side jobs in the shed in the winter with temps like that. Living only by the faint glow of incandescent bulb for warmth... lol
Plenty of cars have hydraulic TOB. It illuminates a bunch of mechanical parts. But when it goes south - haha, you have no choice!