"There's your problem!"

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Car lost some power, audible pinging and eventually threw a CEL "lean condition". A bit of troubleshooting and I found THIS! (it was much harder to spot when it was mounted .. could barely see the crack).

attachment.php

I love being able to fix stuff myself! Engine is running as good as day 1! Got this car brand new, 10 years / 110k miles ago :D

attachment.php

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget to check the feather valve!
Cross drilled brake lines and piston return springs!
Since it's winter now, seasonal tire air :rolleyes:

Good job Erci! :)

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great find. Had a similar problem in my Subaru gt. Loose hose let's unmetered air in, fuel trim eventually maxes out trying to bring mixture back to stoic and then throws a system too lean code. I agree. It is super to be able to understand, troubleshoot and fix these gremlins.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Be sure to check the engine mounts. Offer the tear is the effect of worn mounts.
Stick or auto, set the E brake, apply foot brake and with hood up, watch engine move while power braking. I.e. in gear, brakes on, apply gas in both 1st and reverse. With a stick, its a bit more tricky but your talented enough to use 2 feet on 3 pedals! If it moves more than a couple inches, inspect dog-bone looking mounts as well as upper and lower radiator hoses and the mounting outlets for cracks...
What's funny is at rest, they idle fine cause theres no leak. Its when under load the engine moves exposing the tear. Good job!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be sure to check the engine mounts. Offer the tear is the effect of worn mounts.
Stick or auto, set the E brake, apply foot brake and with hood up, watch engine move while power braking. I.e. in gear, brakes on, apply gas in both 1st and reverse. With a stick, its a bit more tricky but your talented enough to use 2 feet on 3 pedals! If it moves more than a couple inches, inspect dog-bone looking mounts as well as upper and lower radiator hoses and the mounting outlets for cracks...
What's funny is at rest, they idle fine cause theres no leak. Its when under load the engine moves exposing the tear. Good job!

Yup, I've no doubt mounts are torn. I've repaired the easy-to-get-to one by filling it with silicone. Rear mount is a nightmare to get to on this car. I don't think I'll be keeping it much longer. I love the thing more than I should, but it's getting to that point where it needs loads of work here and there (all suspension needs to be replaced, for instance).

My biggest issue right now.. trying to find something I actually want to drive! My current car: it's like driving a go-kart! Noisy, light and I can feel every pebble I ride over transmitted through the steering wheel. Most people would hate it, but I love it :don'tknow:

I took 2014 Mazda3 for a test ride (new version of my car). Great car .. but it's so damn refined, it lost all of the go-kart characteristics I so enjoy.

Need to take WRX for a spin and see what that's like.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually use electrical tape on stuff like that until the proper part comes in :D

lol my customers ironically appreciate my honesty since they get their car back while I wait for parts like that.

I helped this old guy with a Vette by zip tying the coil pack connector onto the coil while we waited for his stuff to come in.

glad you found the issue :D

P0171? bank 1 too lean.
is it sad that I know some codes by heart?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Mazda protégés are awful about that. I have had several customers come in. The first one made me pull my hair out lol. Good thing you don't have to go to the factory to buy one.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
i usually use electrical tape on stuff like that until the proper part comes in :d

lol my customers ironically appreciate my honesty since they get their car back while i wait for parts like that.

I helped this old guy with a vette by zip tying the coil pack connector onto the coil while we waited for his stuff to come in.

Glad you found the issue :d

p0171? Bank 1 too lean.
Is it sad that i know some codes by heart?

Which will cause a
p-030X!!!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
touche

BUT if you use enough tape the random misfire code wont show up, lol I usually go thru most of a roll wrapping them..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a Protege??

I've got an 06, Mazda 6, V6. 6 spd ATX, Grand Sport Hatch. Its damn fun to drive! Even with cheap tires that came on it, it sticks well in the corners!:rolleyes: Who knew a Hatch would be so fun to drive! It's coming up on 100K fast. A year ago 70K when I bought it! I like it!

If I didn't end up stuck in 10hrs of traffic a week, an MTX would be sweet. I do miss my rear drive V8s tho! Nothing better the stepping the back out around a corner! :thumbup:

As stated, anything NEW has so much BS its crazy. Only thing missing from the 6 is navigation. Since this pic the windows are tinted and im prepping some Acura TSX HID projectors for OEM HID replacement as they scatter light everywhere. The TSX projectors have a real nice cut-off.
DSC_5393800.jpg~original

The older 07 - 09 3's are pretty nice driving! Fun little cars. Just get an Audi R8 an call it done! lol
Edit: I recently spent a day driving the Scion FRZ / (Yot BRZ) That RIDES LIKE A GO KART! Go spin one out!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Edit: I recently spent a day driving the Scion FRZ / (Yot BRZ) That RIDES LIKE A GO KART! Go spin one out!

My p5 has mtx.. traffic or not I much prefer it over atx .. though of course there are times when I wish for auto.
I considered brz.. no go. Must be able to tow moto and have cargo space.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk