Thoughts from a new rider about the FZ6

garmie

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my 2006 FZ6 a little over a week ago and last Thursday was my first opportunity to ride, so I literally have 3 days of experience, but I thought I'd share my thoughts about it thus far.

I freaking love this bike. It's my first bike, so I would probably love any bike that I bought first. With that said, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and since I got it for a great price, she's perfect.

I really like the sitting position. I went for a ride with a friend who owns an R6. After comparing his sitting position to mine, I quickly recognized how that might bother me after 30 minutes of riding. I love the idea of a fast sport bike, but the seating position just sucks for anything other than spirited riding.

The transmission is really clunky during shifting. After reading in the forum here I felt better than my bike isn't having problems - it's just the way it is. In fact, it's not always annoying to me. In one sense, I like how loud it is because I can hear the bike working and making positive gear changes. It almost gives me a sense of being more connected with the bike. Two keys points that I've learned to keep the tranny happy: the higher the RPMs you shift at, the quieter it is, and when rolling to a stop with the clutch in, give the bike time to slow before shifting down.

Power, then some more power, then a cherry on top, then some more power. I'll never take full advantage of the power that this bike has to offer. I completely understand some of you not being satisfied. But for me, this bike is plenty. I love the fact that it's completely drivable in low RPMs and the high RPMs are like a reserve of power when you want it. Yamaha did a fantastic job keeping the power band smooth. I'm not really curious how an R6 drives in lower RPMs.

I would prefer somewhat louder exhaust. I don't want anything crazy, just some more growl to keep me entertained and maybe let the folks around me know I'm there.

Thanks for reading. Anyone have feedback for me?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
OK you have a really good bike but as a new rider how's your riding gear?

Jacket, pants and good gloves ever ride is a must. Have fun, Washington has some really good MC roads.

I rode an R1 once for 20 miles as that's all I could take in that position.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the FZ6 family. It truly is a wonderful machine. I have a 2008 and I will not get rid of it until it or me is no longer road worthy. The gear you wear is so very important. I left the house on a hot day once without my riding gear and wouldn't you know it, I went down. My left shoulder, forearm, and knee all got scrubbed pretty bad. My gloves and helmet saved the day, not a scratch on those areas at all.

New fairing, headlights, stem (holds the fairing on), and minor scratches that I have filled in restored my baby back to normal.

Now, I NEVER ride without my gear.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a new rider have you taken the msf brc? Its not all about learning how to physically ride, but to mentally learn how to ride applying street riding strategies teaching you how, where and what to look for. Although the rules of the road are the same forr carss and bikes, you can't ride your bike the same way as you do a car.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these Xelement Men's Advanced Level-3 Black and Yellow Green Tri-Tex Fabric Motorcycle Pants - LeatherUp.com
93522_H_SH355_MW400.jpg
. I have never had a spill at speed so cannot attest to resiliency but they feel pretty sturdy and are waterproof if you have the vents zipped closed. They might be a tad hot on an 80 summer day if you had to sit for any time I live in SC and never had a real problem.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great family! As VEGASRIDER points out it's not just the physical ability to ride and if you haven't, take the MSF/BRC course. :)

Reactions: agf

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome,

If you want to improve your shifting down have a read on throttle blipping, it is a life changer and comes a lot faster than one might think.

The best advice given to my by my instructor was:

" When you ride, assume that everybody on the road is deaf, blind and stupid! Always assume that people around you are about to do the stupidest thing they could possibly do..."

garmie

Reaction score
Visit site
As a new rider have you taken the msf brc? Its not all about learning how to physically ride, but to mentally learn how to ride applying street riding strategies teaching you how, where and what to look for. Although the rules of the road are the same forr carss and bikes, you can't ride your bike the same way as you do a car.

No, but I'm scheduled to take the class this month.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
No, but I'm scheduled to take the class this month.

Welcome to the forum and grats on the purchase! I'm in the same boat - about 120 miles under the belt on my 09 FZ6. I ditto your thoughts on the bike to a T - I think maybe my clutch is a little more forgiving, or else I've already grown accustomed to it's notchiness on the 1-2 shift (more throttle, and shift at higher RPM's seems to be the ticket!).

The MSF course is good to take - alot of good habits to pick up, and a good way to acknowledge bad ones and change them before they get embedded in ya. Do they provide bikes for you in your area or will you take yours for the class? (The 125/250's used for msf courses sure do make it easier on 'the box') ;)

garmie

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and grats on the purchase! I'm in the same boat - about 120 miles under the belt on my 09 FZ6. I ditto your thoughts on the bike to a T - I think maybe my clutch is a little more forgiving, or else I've already grown accustomed to it's notchiness on the 1-2 shift (more throttle, and shift at higher RPM's seems to be the ticket!).

The MSF course is good to take - alot of good habits to pick up, and a good way to acknowledge bad ones and change them before they get embedded in ya. Do they provide bikes for you in your area or will you take yours for the class? (The 125/250's used for msf courses sure do make it easier on 'the box') ;)

They provide 125s or 250s for us. I'm excited to try them out. I'll take all the experience I can get even if it's with a small bike! And I did hear that the turn around box is difficult with a larger bike...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you asking for a pic, here she is!

2006 with 7,600 miles. :cheer:

nice bike, be careful with that moss on the drive. Even at low speed it can be slippery as get out, even in the dry. enjoy the riding course( and you bike) and a welcome from downunder if i didnt already

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
To add to the safety gear don't forget a good set of boots with proper ankle support. SIDI is probably the best you can buy for the money.

To bad you bike is not the blue color as that's the faster color. :cheer:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look like the same BT021 tires that came stock on the 2006 models. If they are that old you will want to replace them now before you really start logging some miles! tires over 4 years old are not wise to use on a motorcycle where tires can mean the difference between life and death!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How does a 2006 bike only have 7600 miles? I agree, if they are the original tires, ditch them, they are way beyond it's shelf life. Right now, you can't say rubber meets the roads.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my 2006 last March it had 1600 on the clock :) Now that I'm abroad though it will only progress when the coworker stewarding it rides it to keep the tires from getting flat spots and keep the battery from totally turning to slag.