Throttle Shy

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
For those who dont know I have had quite an experience with the FZ6. Since friday, when I got the bike back, I have been afraid to go over 4000-5000 RPM. I have a fear that something will happen to the bike or like I'm abusing it if I rev any higher. I guess I need to gain my confidence back. Please share any stories of what you have done on your bike...(like not shifting out of first till 10000 RPM was reached) or something like that. Thanks in advance for the help and continued support. This site is just AWESOME!!!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
For those who dont know I have had quite an experience with the FZ6. Since friday, when I got the bike back, I have been afraid to go over 4000-5000 RPM. I have a fear that something will happen to the bike or like I'm abusing it if I rev any higher. I guess I need to gain my confidence back. Please share any stories of what you have done on your bike...(like not shifting out of first till 10000 RPM was reached) or something like that. Thanks in advance for the help and continued support. This site is just AWESOME!!!

LOL oh man, put your skirt on Jenny.... Seriously, 10000 rpm? How about well into redline... I have bounced every bike I have ever owned off the rev limiter on a regular basis and nothing every broke. YOUR FZ6 WON'T BREAK, REV IT!!!! Remember and R6 has a higher rev limit and since the FZ6 has basically a de-tuned version of the R6's mill, you can run it all week at redline and nothing will happen... The Yamaha engineers designed it that way.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL oh man, put your skirt on Jenny.... Seriously, 10000 rpm? How about well into redline... I have bounced every bike I have ever owned off the rev limiter on a regular basis and nothing every broke. YOUR FZ6 WON'T BREAK, REV IT!!!! Remember and R6 has a higher rev limit and since the FZ6 has basically a de-tuned version of the R6's mill, you can run it all week at redline and nothing will happen... The Yamaha engineers designed it that way.

Absolutly, and just think of it like this, you have a warranty for months and months from now so if you are going to break it you might as well try it now while it is covered, You may even have more of a warranty seeing as this is now a "known problem" with your specific bike.

Also Yamaha engineers manufacture all their engines to be beat to hell, i was not nice to my previous bike for 34,000 miles and it was still running like a champ when i traded it in and i will do the same to this one. You bought it to ride and have fun on so just do what you bought it for. it will be alright

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
... Ah, I get it now.... I just searched you postings. You're the guy who had his engine seize. You didn't mention what issue you had in this post. An engine seizure is extremely rare.... I mean, you are the first I have ever heard of. Understand.... the likelihood of it happening twice would be pretty small. Slowly work your way up the rev band until your fear is no longer an issue. Also, think of it this way... it can seize (if it is prone to do so) at any rpm just as easy. Don't sweat it, just drive it. You still have a warranty to boot...

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Break it in, Change the oil sooner rather than later. REALLY 200 miles after a rebuild or a on a new engine the oil filter is full of junk. Dont worry about the motor. You didnt hurt it before, you cant hurt itnow.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
if the motor is broke in right by the owners manual. (please god dont tell me you used the motoman method, which is kinda obvious you didnt). itll be fine.

Last edited:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You do more harm by lugging it than reving it.

This engine was designed for the R6, what is the red line on that?

Have fun.:thumbup:

J

jsteinb95

once she is broke in .... just get her warmed up and then..... you can ride her hard.... and long .....and she will love you for it...

as for your bike..... the same applies;)

Mike (sigh)......another one of your "head in the gutter" posts. jeez. :D

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Break it in by the book (Yamaha book that is)...including oil change interval. I think Yamaha recommends it for a reason. I don't think changing the oil early is required - you want the rings to seat through a controlled amount of wear. And you don't want any RPM specific vibrations some people talk about. The rings need to seat properly to avoid RPM specific vibrations. And this is done by ensuring you are varying the RPM (controlled throttle transitions, not whacking it)... Once broken in, rev it all you want.

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
if the motor is broke in right by the owners manual. (please god dont tell me you used the motoman method, which is kinda obvious you didnt). itll be fine.
It will be fine no matter which way he breaks it in. There is no conclusive evidence that your method and Motoman's method are any better or worse than one another.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I followed the break-in in the owners manual, got the oil changed when it was time and then went for it, what a rush!!!

...and I never have followed manuals.... I rev my bikes freely right from the dealer. I change my oil at 100kms to get most of the break-in metal out of the engine. Never had an engine issue, ever. With modern manufacturing it seems that it doesn't matter how one breaks in an engine.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...and I never have followed manuals.... I rev my bikes freely right from the dealer. I change my oil at 100kms to get most of the break-in metal out of the engine. Never had an engine issue, ever. With modern manufacturing it seems that it doesn't matter how one breaks in an engine.

I agree to a point, I just feel better taking it easy just in case their is some sort of defect from the factory. I would hate for a defect to show itself at 13,000 rpm.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a list of (main) parts that the dealership replaced when they rebuilt the motor?
The motor didn't "seize", it blew up a cylinder when a valve or valves dropped by the looks of it. The likelihood of that reoccuring are zero.
You're more likely to damage a new engine by either using Wide Open Throttle too early in its life, or lugging the motor at TOO LOW an RPM. Let the motor run freely, without load...use your gears. Don't use large throttle openings until you've got between 800 and 1000 kilometers on the new motor. Once you've got about 500km's on the 'new' motor, you can start to open it up in stages until by the time you've got 1000 km's on it, you will be just fine to let it fly.
Enjoy!

H

HavBlue

Break it in, Change the oil sooner rather than later. REALLY 200 miles after a rebuild or a on a new engine the oil filter is full of junk. Dont worry about the motor. You didnt hurt it before, you cant hurt itnow.

Years ago I would have agreed with this no problem at all but today is another story. The manufacturing technology we use today is so far superior the issues we once had in terms of casting slag and foreign material simply aren't there. I will however say I went 290 miles on the FZ6 before I switched to full synthetic oil and that bike will never look back because it operates that damn good.....

Ride the bike as you would and break it in to your liking.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Break it in just dont baby it. As far as going up to 13k on the rpm i dont agree, because that is were the flat spot is. The bike loves and i mean love the rpms from 6-12 k's. So try it and you will see how it just keeps going and going and going like that little energizer bunny.