Throttle Shy

jimcisme

Reaction score
Visit site
You can baby it some if you want, but you really should work your way up the RPM ladder.
From the owner’s manual:
For the first 1600 km (1000 mi) prolonged full-throttle operation or any condition that might result in engine overheating must be avoided.

0–1000 km (0–600 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 7000 r/min.
1000–1600 km (600–1000 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 8400 r/min.

It does not say not to rev it, it says to not go past stated RPM for extended times.
At 250 miles I was hitting 10,000 RPM on a fairly regular basis, by 500 I was at 12,000.

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank You..Everyone...this is exacly the main reason this forum is is A+. I have been gaining confidence and had her up to around 7K momentarily on my commute to work this morning. On the way home...I may work her a little more. Everyone is right, the machine was built to run not to be babied around like a fragile ole Grandma!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when you got it up to 7k that was just the starting point of the fun, becarefull but just give it a little UMFPT, you know a little twist of the wrist anf then you will see just a taste of what the bike can do, just hold on brace yourself and wear your gear and have fun

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that was.............:rockon::rockon::rockon:...........where is that track, and what did you have to do to the bike to go on the track. I would love to go, but i need to learn about the whole cornering, knee dragggggggg and whateverelse it takes. That would be a weekend thing i would love to put together for us....hhhhhmmmmmmmmm maybe a FZ-6 FORUM 1st annual TRACK DAY. Maybe i will do a poll to see if and how many people would be interested.

S

sportrider

ride it like its stolen, thats what I would do(which I do) I've always broken anything new I have in the same way. If somethings going to break(as in a defect) I'll find out in the first 1000 miles. run it HARD and put it away wet!!!:D

S

sportrider

but if you are a new rider take it easy until your skills develop. my other post I was just referring to the bike.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, well after watching your video, you made me want to go out and..... go balls to wall. Over here in florida i dont know of any here but i will find a track someplace. Or just put some more hours in and the wait for the meet in May.

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Oil is Yamalube 10w-30 and a yamaha filter. Also. on the that topic, my brother-in-law works for the AMA so I asked him to ask some of the mechanics what oil they use for general purpose. He said they told him "High end Japenese oils". Not exactly sure what that means specifically nor do I want to turn this into an oil thread!!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Oil is Yamalube 10w-30 and a yamaha filter. Also. on the that topic, my brother-in-law works for the AMA so I asked him to ask some of the mechanics what oil they use for general purpose. He said they told him "High end Japenese oils". Not exactly sure what that means specifically nor do I want to turn this into an oil thread!!

Mobil 1, Rotella, Motul are my choices... They're all superior than Yamalube.