Tiny cracks on tire...acceptable?...or not?

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FZ6 with ~8000 miles. I inspected my tires tonight for cracking and potential signs of failure. The tires are original and I live in MN, so the tires have seen temperature changes.

I have attached photos of the front tire. There seem to be very tiny cracks near the rim which is consistent around the tire. The rear tire did not show anything similar to this.

I thought I would ask the experts what they thought. Is this something to be concerned with? Normal? Is this where tires fail, if they do? Am I being paranoid? The tread itself is just fine as they just have 8k miles on them.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say your tires are hard as a rock. Your bike is 8 years old, your tires could be 8-13 years old. Personally I would change both ASAP. I would say they will get very slippery with a slight bit of rain. Some people on here get crazy miles out of tires but I personally only get about 4000-4500 miles out of a rear tire and 8500-9000 out of a front tire. Just because there is still tread doesn't mean they are safe or legal. Here in NY 2/32 tread is the legal limit.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Word has it that 5 to 6 years is the max age for bike tires, it is said that the glue that bonds the layers together can start to break down around this time. I'd say it's time to change them. Mine where 5 years old with a good amount of tread left and I changed them out to Bridgestone's Battlax BT-023.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FZ6 with ~8000 miles. I inspected my tires tonight for cracking and potential signs of failure. The tires are original and I live in MN, so the tires have seen temperature changes.

I have attached photos of the front tire. There seem to be very tiny cracks near the rim which is consistent around the tire. The rear tire did not show anything similar to this.

I thought I would ask the experts what they thought. Is this something to be concerned with? Normal? Is this where tires fail, if they do? Am I being paranoid? The tread itself is just fine as they just have 8k miles on them.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
the cracks show age of tyre as it is constantly changing shape under cornering,
maybe replace front and back looks ok, normally back wears quicker than front and most people change both at same time, but yours was maybe a new back and old front

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
you're fine, don't be paranoid
you can get another 8k more miles out of that
unless you got the $$$, then change for peace of mind
but I wouldn't if I were you

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I like this forum. Good common sense answers (accept for the last one) to an important question. Part of my business is selling tire and all of the above are very good answers (again, accept for the last one). :thumbup:

Last edited:

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the quick replies. Looks like the concensus is new tires.

In the mean time, are these safe to ride on? On a scale of 1-10, where do these fall and would the failure mode be a flat or something more dramatic?

I rarely get caught in the rain but good observation that this would be more slippery...I can actually tell they are a bit harder than they used to be.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you're fine, don't be paranoid
you can get another 8k more miles out of that
unless you got the $$$, then change for peace of mind
but I wouldn't if I were you

I would agree with you that he could use those tires for maybe town driving if it were a car but not a bike. Different use of technology and characteristics. If a tire fails on a car it's different than on a bike. :D

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have a 2004 and remember those tires well. Over three and a half years ago when I bought my bike they had 2,800 miles on them. Could get the real loose with a little bit of lean and hard on the gas when it was cold (cold in Alabama is like 45). In the wet could break them loose at 5,000 RPM just rolling on the gas. Scary, best thin that happened to b=me was the nail in the rear - told the wife "got a nail in the rear so have to get a new one". Bought Michelin PR2's - what a difference!!!!!!

I would ride slowly and carefully to the nearest tire store. Have ridden the PR2 and PR3 from 28 degrees to 103 with no problems.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a used wheel that came with an original BT020 on it in good shape when I crashed my bike. The grip difference the newish PR2 in the rear and that old tire was staggering.

The front felt like it was going to wash out every time I took a fairly hard turn.

I still haven't changed it, but the bike is in mothballs right now, and I'll probably replace both once I get to ride it again in a few years.

I'd highly suggest you replace those regardless of how much tread they have left, if you ride in the rain, ride it hard or not.

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
Normal tyre life is 7 years. I would suggest to change it. However, if money is concerned, it can be used without major problem. I have seen tyre running normal with this type of crack with a crack length over 10mm. Remember, there is internal rubber protection layer and intermediate layer of fabric, you just lost 1/3 of them. BTW, I would suggest to store your bike in a place without sunshine. Ultraviolet will eat the tyre and induce crack. And deflate your tyre maybe 10 psi below norminal and lift it up with centerstand to let it "rest" if your bike will not be used for a long period of time.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If I had to take a guess I'd say that not only are those cracks there because of the age of the tires but there is also a very good possibility that the tire was run really low on air. IF, and I say IF, it was run low on air then there could be all sorts of damage to the inside of the tire that you will never know about until it blows out. I know I'm only reiterating what most others have said but yes replace them.

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
Time to start shopping...after doing some searching looks like the PR2 or BT-023's.

Where is the concensus shop to purchase tires?

The motorcyle version of Tirerack?

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Time to start shopping...after doing some searching looks like the PR2 or BT-023's.

Where is the concensus shop to purchase tires?

The motorcyle version of Tirerack?

Motorcycle Supersore is pretty good. The big thing on tires is to get the freshest tires possible. the last four digits of the DOT indicate when the tire was made. The first two digits are the week and the last two are the year. So 1112 would be the 11th week of 2012.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I got tires from jakewilson.com and installed them myself. Free shipping.
you might also try compacc.com, chaparral-racing.com, even Amazon.com has deals on tires. Most motorcycle service dealers will mount them for you for about 35-50 per tire if you carry them in.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree to change the tire.

I know age can cause those cracks, but could/would underpressure cause them also? Just asking for my own knowledge.