Tipped going zero

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Stopped today on my first ride of the year. As I pulled up to the driveway of a historic site to serve as the backdrop of my bike picture, I slowed and was completely stopped. I flipped the kickstand (or so I thought) and leaned over to get off the bike. The kickstand flipped back up and before I could get shifted to the other side, down she went!

My left boot was caught under the engine and I couldn't get free. So I calmly started taking off my gear so I could think and get some more leverage--having a helmet on and earplugs in was pizzing me off.

A nice lady drove past and came back to help. She was able to help me leverage my leg out and I lifted the bike up easily. The lens popped off the turn signal and the frame slider was scuffed. So the major damage was to my pride.

I'm still not exactly sure what happened. I think the incline of the driveway (small parking lot) played a part, as did my not double-checking for the kickstand. Regardless, it is lack of experience and probably lack of focus that caused this mishap.

Please accept this as my application to the club

:spank:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
that sucks. 0mph drops are common with new riders. I had 2 drops in my garage with my first bike. I'm sure it was embarrassing having your foot caught though...

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
It happens. No big deal, you dust yourself off, have a laugh at your expense and get back on the proverbial horse. No worse for the wear. The main thing is that you were able to get out and ride today. I'm jealous, this winter is really starting to p**s me off!

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
So you were pinned underneath the bike and couldn't get free until someone helped you?

Yeah. Because my riding boots have that toe bit to protect in a skid. It got wedged and I couldn't quite twist to get it out. I did manage to shut the engine off on the way down so i count that a victory :(

The lady showed up before I had really taken a good look at the situation. I was just removing my helmet and gloves and such to take a minute to calm down and think clearly. I knew the engine was off and nothing was painful so I assumed I had time. Then she showed up and I used the help. Ugh.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never think that it will not happen to me just because I'm an experienced rider. Gravity always has new lessons for us! Lol! Don't feel bad! :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just glad you didn't get burned in the event the engine was hot. Rider's don't think of this scenario playing out.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
First ride with a buddy and he dropped his mint bike right in front of me- forgot kickstand. It happens.

Often I'll step off the bike with my left foot behind the extended kickstand while holding the handlebar, particularly if I'm unsure of the surface.