Tire change shop in OC/LA

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning on buying the tires from motorcycle superstore and taking the bike and tires to have them replaced (as oposed to just taking the wheels)

Called a place today and was told their price to change the tires was $95 if I also bought the tires from them. Otherwise it would cost me $175 for the tire job if I brong my own tires (which is pretty crazy).

I am looking for a shop/mechanic recommendation for changing tires in fullerton/anaheim/placentia area along with a rough estimate on the cost.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't answer those questions but it'd be a bit cheaper pulling the wheels yourself and carying them in.

The FZ has a very loose set chain. MANY shops tends to OVERTIGHTEN the chain. ***If you have them change on the bike, bring your owners manual and MAKE SURE THEY SEE the amount of FREE PLAY (approx 2") in the chain at the taughtest point on the lower run..

BTW, I buy my tires from my local, private owned shop down here (he's pretty competitive). With the wheels off the bike, he charges maybe $15.00 a wheel to R&R and static balance, new tire valve too. He'll do it while you wait as well..

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i have no idea about your area, sorry. but people come from miles around to have service done and buy tires from this guy in Arcadia. he charges $80 to change a set. around $100 in savings from your quote, and should be competitive with any standard powersports store. $175 is outrageous

apparently he also has tires in stock or will order them for you, and his customers say he gets especially good deals on tires. some say its the only place they will buy tires. he is by appt only. its a 34 mile trip from Anaheim but could be worth it. some come from further to have their bike serviced here

Arcadia Motorcycle Company

Arcadia Motorcycle Company - Arcadia, CA | Yelp

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $153 to mount the tires on my old Ninja on the bike...such a rip, I should have taken them in myself!

Lucky Eric has a tire machine so when i finally need tires I'm going to give him the business haha

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
That is pretty far. But I will give them a call and see if they will let me ship the tires direcrly to the store. Don't want to make two trips first for the tires than for the motorcycle.

Unless there is a safe way to teansport the tires on the motorcycle. Guess like a saddle bag, though one side will end up being a little heavier.

i have no idea about your area, sorry. but people come from miles around to have service done and buy tires from this guy in Arcadia. he charges $80 to change a set. around $100 in savings from your quote, and should be competitive with any standard powersports store. $175 is outrageous

apparently he also has tires in stock or will order them for you, and his customers say he gets especially good deals on tires. some say its the only place they will buy tires. he is by appt only. its a 34 mile trip from Anaheim but could be worth it. some come from further to have their bike serviced here

Arcadia Motorcycle Company

Arcadia Motorcycle Company - Arcadia, CA | Yelp

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
$80 is what I am used to in Toronto from a good mechanic. If anyone is ever in Toronto and needs work done in their bike look up Rosey Toes.

$75 in suburban Atlanta brining the bike in with the tires from Motorcycle Superstore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is pretty far. But I will give them a call and see if they will let me ship the tires direcrly to the store. Don't want to make two trips first for the tires than for the motorcycle.

Unless there is a safe way to teansport the tires on the motorcycle. Guess like a saddle bag, though one side will end up being a little heavier.
I think I'd just "Michelin Man" them and have them around my waist as I ride :cheer:

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I live in an apt complex and they won't let you work on your vehicles. So I can't pull the tires. Well atleast not during the day. Lol

Otherwise I would do the whole job myself and add a new skill.

If any one is interested.

Motorcycle Wheel Balancer w/ Stand

Motorcycle Bead Breaker

Tire Iron - 24" General Purpose Tire Iron

Will pay for itself in one use. But makes sense if you change tires twice a year or do track days. And have a place to do it without getting into trouble with building management.

Can't answer those questions but it'd be a bit cheaper pulling the wheels yourself and carying them in.

The FZ has a very loose set chain. MANY shops tends to OVERTIGHTEN the chain. ***If you have them change on the bike, bring your owners manual and MAKE SURE THEY SEE the amount of FREE PLAY (approx 2") in the chain at the taughtest point on the lower run..

BTW, I buy my tires from my local, private owned shop down here (he's pretty competitive). With the wheels off the bike, he charges maybe $15.00 a wheel to R&R and static balance, new tire valve too. He'll do it while you wait as well..

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I live in an apt complex and they won't let you work on your vehicles. So I can't pull the tires. Well atleast not during the day. Lol

Otherwise I would do the whole job myself and add a new skill.

If any one is interested.

Motorcycle Wheel Balancer w/ Stand

Motorcycle Bead Breaker

Tire Iron - 24" General Purpose Tire Iron

Will pay for itself in one use. But makes sense if you change tires twice a year or do track days. And have a place to do it without getting into trouble with building management.
I've been thinking about doing the job myself but I'd be afraid I'd break something... I guess I'll see how I feel when it comes closer to changing them myself.

That balancer works by I guess automatically stopping where the tire has too much weight and then you adding some to the opposite side until it can come to rest at any spot without favoritism towards any one spot?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That balancer works by I guess automatically stopping where the tire has too much weight and then you adding some to the opposite side until it can come to rest at any spot without favoritism towards any one spot?

Yepper, very easy, takes some time until your used to it.

Use duct tape or masking tape initially (not the tape on the weights) UNTIL you know EXACTLY where their going. Then use the tape on the back of the weights.

Its not unusual to cut off a partial piece of the square weights to get it dead on...

I actually balanced the TRAILER wheels (12") for my motorcycle trailer. Just loosened up the bearing nut, already had most of the grease wiped off the bearings (trying to get rid of as much drag as possible). Balanced right on the hub. You'd be surprised how much weight those little guys took..

Last edited:

phud

Reaction score
Visit site
i go to cycle depot up in eagle rock. never had a problem with them- always honest with me and they do good work.

http://www.cycledepot.com/

first time having them change my tires, i called and asked if it was ok to have the tires shipped to the shop- they said no problem. they even asked what tires i was getting to see if they could match the price. they couldnt but they said- always check with them (on any product) and they'll try to match thus helping to avoid shipping costs. anyhow, once the tires came in, i rode in with my bike and waited while they put the tires on. just call ahead and see when's best to come in. and if you have to wait, there are some bars and restaurants around the corner.

bottom line- call them and talk to them, they're always helpful.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, very easy, takes some time until your used to it.

Use duct tape or masking tape initially (not the tape on the weights) UNTIL you know EXACTLY where their going. Then use the tape on the back of the weights.

Its not unusual to cut off a partial piece of the square weights to get it dead on...

I actually balanced the TRAILER wheels (12") for my motorcycle trailer. Just loosened up the bearing nut, already had most of the grease wiped off the bearings (trying to get rid of as much drag as possible). Balanced right on the hub. You'd be surprised how much weight those little guys took..
Good deal! So you have that kit and it works good?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good deal! So you have that kit and it works good?

I made my own tire / wheel mount support:

Welded up some bed frame angle steel with a rectangular base.

Then, welded two arms sticking up (in the middle for stability) with a "V" cut in the upper ends to hold the axle (or slightly smaller, VERY STRAIGHT ROD) and wheel.

Put the axle or rod (a little less drag with a slightly small STRAIGHT ROD) wheel /tire in the "V" give her a little spin and mark off the light spot, (I use a small piece of masking tape(easier to clean up and move). Do that several times before applying weight so you know where it needs to be.

Then start applying weight to the light side (with tape should you have to adjust/move the weight some), spin again.

Once you get to the point there is no heavy or light spot anywhere stick them on permanently and re-check. You can but the square lead sticky weights on-line. (My tire guy gives me some on the side when I get new tires mounted)...

You can also use say the front axle on the forks, remove the calibers, any/all drag possible. The less drag, the better and more accurate a balance you'll get.

With mine (or any kit), you can put it on the work bench, take your time and your not humped over, working on the floor...Just a little easier.

My tire guy/private shop, likes to put a piece of duct tape (as insurance) over the sticky weight, I ask him not to and I've never lost a weight..

***BTW, use BRAKE CLEANER to clean the wheel BEFORE permanently applying the weight. You don't want it coming off due to wax, crap, chain lube, etc under the sticky weight..

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
I change my tires with three tire irons and rim protectors. Did away with the lead weights and now use the balancing beads so I don't even need a balancer. Seems to work well with no problems. Learned the tire mounting skill a number of years ago working on my other bikes. Must say that I found the FZ6 very easy to change out the tires compared to my other bikes. Takes about two hours to remove both from the bike, change out the tires, and do an inspection. Saves me the hassle of time and money at the local dealer who charges $45 per tire mount with the rim off the bike.

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
A bit old, and i don't know any shops either (I'm a little more inland, may move towards oc in the next few months) but most places charge that much because they do it at the "service rate" which is pretty silly. Shops here charge about 80-95 a tire, or like 140 for the pair. BUT if you take off the tires and bring them in it can cost between 15-25 a tire. So it's not as bad. I changed my rear with tire irons and rim savers..... it was not easy. I'm ok spending the 25 bucks now. *shrugs*

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't have a local contact for tires and tire changer, Cycle Gear will do a fair economical price if you buy your tires from them. You do have to bring your wheel to them....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^^^.

I buy my tires from a local, private owned shop that I've known the owner /mechainic (the main tire changer guy) for literally decades. His business has expanded 10x's over in the 30 years I've known him. Just have to find someone like that..

With the wheels off, it was $15 to dismount / mount, new valve stem and balance each wheel. And "Scott"(the tire guy) knows how anal I am about NOT scratching the rims and will get tipped well knowing that. (the rims are still scratch free 7 years later)

I believe it somewhat evens out vs buying on-line and my guy is VERY competitive price wise, (even with OEM parts)

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a rip-off. There is Bellflower Motorsport shop right on 605s/exist Alondra, they can do like front tire change for $27, back tire change $47,,,like brake oil change $47, brake pad change $47..you can bundle bunch of changes together to get a discount.

However ask them before you leave the store (which I didn't) as my case that the mechanic changed my front tire without re-seating the brake pads properly so I got squealing sound (or it could be me who opened the brake to check on the pad's remaining)...

The price is reasonable and they do the works just fine...just make sure you ask someone up here what to/how-to check things after they are replaced...

good luck fellow riders!