to mp3 or to not mp3

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
how many of you listen to anything....mp3...radio...xm...while riding the bike?
i personally think this is squidding....
opinions?

depends on the ride for me... if im riding during busy times then no... if im riding when i know im one of the only ones out then yes.... jsut kinda depends but to be honest for the most part no

Couldn't if I wanted to. You guys must have much better helmets. Above about 50 or so, I can't hear anything over the wind noise, with or without earplugs.

Couldn't if I wanted to. You guys must have much better helmets. Above about 50 or so, I can't hear anything over the wind noise, with or without earplugs.

HJC CL-SP helmet, not bad but not the greatest either. I really have to crank up the volume :thumbup:

+1. I've tried I can only here it at stop lights

i have the rf-1000 by Shoei... i also have the noise cancelling headphones that go in the ear canal... amazing sound the entire time :rockon:

wind noise above 35mph is loud enough no matter your helmet type to begin permanently damaging your hearing

this is why california allows foam earplugs. they did the studies.

noise-cancelling in-ear foam earplugs like the shure e4c's are also good as they cancel wind noise but you can still hear emergency vehicles. and because of the noise-cancelling you dont need to have your music up very loud at all

having the combination of wind noise AND in-helmet speakers blasting is doing you some serious long-term hearing dmg.

I don't wear earphones (regardless of the sound levels) because I know how music gets my adrenalin going. I know that if I get a good song playing I am bound to turn the throttle a little harder and corner a little deeper than I normally would! Sounds like complete perfection I am sure, but it scares me a little! I'd get focusing on the tune, crank the throttle, and drive off the edge of the cliff. Might be a great way to go though if your time is up!
But that's just me.:Flash:

Usually I wear them only on longer highway rides. For City riding I feel like they would distract me.

+1

I only do it on longer rides now. Only because I can't be bothered to fight with the ear buds for short trips. Especially around town when I'll be taking my helmet off and on a lot.

I am a DJ, so when i am not playing in Clubs, music is the last thing on my mind...plus i like to hear my bike...plays a nice tune all by itself!

Listen to MP3/FM radio during my commute with Shure e3 noise cancelling earbuds. I can still hear horns & emergency vehicles and I don't really have to have the volume up that loud.

I love it! :thumbup:

I don't wear earplugs, and I'm in the stone-age of music with no mp3 player!

Reading the comments I thought, "haha, this sounds like the old guys saying 'ohhhh it damages your ears cuz I can't hear now'" and then the young guys saying "nah it doesn't, stand in front of the concert speakers bro!!"

I dunno, but when I get an mp3 in October, you bet I might invest in the noise cancelling earbuds custom molded with earphones inside. Long rides and no twisties is boring...twisties for the afternoon is a symphony of engine roar to me!

just my 2c

i listen, and don't consider myself a squid for it either, I listen to music when i drive my car, why not on the bike?

I use Eytmonic ER6i IEMs under my Shoei RF-1000.

These are both on my wishlist! Right now I just use the headphones that came with my iPOD, for being "stock" they are pretty decent, but the lack of noise-cancellation has my eyeing the ER6i's specifically for riding.

Last edited:
why are the Eytmonic ER6i IEM SOOOOO expensive? are they that much better?

My brother has teh $40 Sony headphones, but I used them running, and didn't like the lack of bass tunage and they didn't seem to get very high volume.

I hope i am not getting too far off topic with this, but Nolan have just released a whole new range of helmets in Australia with what they call n-com, with Bluetooth, MP3, phone, gps, intercom accesories that plug straight into the helmet.

which i am guessing everyone else has available in other parts of the world...we are nearly always last to get stuff in Australia, being such a small market.

Does anyone know more about these helmets, am sorta interested as i live on my phone, and currently use a bluetooth headset with bud earplugs, that works through my gps, that just plain "Cane" my ears..painful. Do these helmets come with noise cancelling, more forgiving earpieces?

Back