Trip to UK in June - advice wanted!

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is back in its home yard now. The ignition lock was the only thing causing some problems in the rain, as it was jamming. Wd40 fixed that. Now it is time for the steering head bearing replacement, an oil change and a good wash. After 18 days of riding, it feels a bit strange that I don't have to ride anywhere tomorrow....

Last edited:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FSqxxMF1lM"]A helmet cam video from the Applecross road.[/ame]

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyWwnUW0cc"]Another one from Nürburg area, very nice roads in there.[/ame]

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2whUPvW4UF8]Scottish country roads - YouTube[/ame]

Another video from Scotland....

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
Great choice,

I ride in Scotland twice a year and im due again in September. I am no expert but in my opinion i would stay away from the east coast and travel more through the middle, around Pitlochry up towards Fort William and then to John O Groats.

If your a fan of James Bond and have seen Skyfall they filmed the part when Bond and M looked down the road before going to Skyfall on the A82....fantastic road and views to die for.

I do guarantee you will have a fantastic time there and the people are friendly....even to the English

Ohh and try to get to Eilean Donan castle, fab place and great place for tea and a snack

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Great choice,

I ride in Scotland twice a year and im due again in September. I am no expert but in my opinion i would stay away from the east coast and travel more through the middle, around Pitlochry up towards Fort William and then to John O Groats.

If your a fan of James Bond and have seen Skyfall they filmed the part when Bond and M looked down the road before going to Skyfall on the A82....fantastic road and views to die for.

I do guarantee you will have a fantastic time there and the people are friendly....even to the English

Ohh and try to get to Eilean Donan castle, fab place and great place for tea and a snack

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I already did the trip :) If I remember correctly I came southwards via A82. Lots of amazing sceneries on the trip, and I agree with your comment on people being friendly and helpful both in England and Scotland (and in the other countries along the trip as well :) )

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Looks an amazing trip. Scotland is absolutely stunning. I hope to ride through sometime on the bike. I see you made stops at the distillery. What do you get for your 1 square foot plot of land at Laphroaig? A bottle of whiskey per year? ;)

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks an amazing trip. Scotland is absolutely stunning. I hope to ride through sometime on the bike. I see you made stops at the distillery. What do you get for your 1 square foot plot of land at Laphroaig? A bottle of whiskey per year? ;)

As much as I'd like it the way you describe it, it is only a one time payment :) Anyway it was quite special, the 10yr old cask strength that was given was very nice. Hard to imagine but the tasting experience for that was even stronger than your usual Ardbeg, keeping a nice balance and the character of Laphroaig though.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I was wondering if this would give him the right to vote for (or against) scottish independence ;)

As much as I'd like it the way you describe it, it is only a one time payment :) Anyway it was quite special, the 10yr old cask strength that was given was very nice. Hard to imagine but the tasting experience for that was even stronger than your usual Ardbeg, keeping a nice balance and the character of Laphroaig though.

Sounds great, cask strength Laphroaig I've got a bottle myself :drool:

Still Ardbeg remains one of my favourite whiskys, especially the corryvreckan :thumbup:

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Although the other Islay ones are all great as well (though Bunnahabhain can be taken off from my list), Caol Ila remains my favorite, and they had the best scenery from the distillery :) The best one I have tasted was one special Chieftain's choice bottling of Caol Ila (year 1983, it was unbelievably great) I tasted when on a work trip to Copenhagen. I like the way Caol Ila has all the elements of Islay whisky without being overpowering in any sense.

Last edited: