Trouble shooting heated grips?

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
My grips stopped working and we are about to be in the low 20's and mid 30's next week any ideas how to trouble shoot this? Am I looking for a fuze or something? Thanks in advance :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look for an inline fuse on a wire coming from the positive terminal of the battery. The fuse could be blown. Also check that that system has a good ground. Then if the fuse is blown you have to figure out why. Next would be the controller. Check to see if the controller is providing current to the grips. If that controller is providing voltage then the grip filaments may be defective. You can disconnect the grip heaters and see if they have continuity. :)

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Look for an inline fuse on a wire coming from the positive terminal of the battery. The fuse could be blown. Also check that that system has a good ground. Then if the fuse is blown you have to figure out why. Next would be the controller. Check to see if the controller is providing current to the grips. If that controller is providing voltage then the grip filaments may be defective. You can disconnect the grip heaters and see if they have continuity. :)

Your the man!

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Question: where did you tap it into? Straight to battery or into the ignition? If so, can you share where and how, spares me some time searching :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Question: where did you tap it into? Straight to battery or into the ignition? If so, can you share where and how, spares me some time searching :)

The heated grip system can use anyplace for a ground return, like engine/frame or the actual negative battery terminal.
The positive line may use a relay that is controlled off the ignition key signal. Generally there is an inline fuse that is on a connector attached to the positive battery terminal. Some people devise a power tap assembly that powers additional ancillary devices. :) That power tap would go to the positive battery terminal and then any additional device like the heated grips. :)

Don't power higher current devices directly from the ignition. Use a slave relay.

I've attached a wiring diagram of a typical slave set-up that will power up with the key on and power down with the key off. This also will help eliminate leaving a device on that draws current from your battery if you should forget to turn it off.

Note: The ground return for what ever device your powering is not shown on the diagram. The running light circuit is just an example and there are a few sources you can pick that come on with the ignition key on position. :)

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.
So you can connect the positive either to the inline fuse or to the running light?
How significant is having the relay?

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks.
So you can connect the positive either to the inline fuse or to the running light?
How significant is having the relay?

Do NOT power the heated grips from the running light positive. You need to have the proper gauge wires going from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the grips. Without a relay, every part in the system needs to be able to handle the current/amps. Usually your switch is the weak link without a relay.

I hope this helps.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the grips, and the instruction are simple if to go directly to the battery. However if to run it thru the relay it getting kind of confusing. What do you connect to the relay connectors numbering as 85, 86, 87 and 30? :confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the grips, and the instruction are simple if to go directly to the battery. However if to run it thru the relay it getting kind of confusing. What do you connect to the relay connectors numbering as 85, 86, 87 and 30? :confused:

#30 goes to the inline fuse and connector attached to the battery positive terminal.
#86 goes to the red with white tracer wire on the plug at the top of the starter relay on top of the battery.
#85 goes to ground or the negative battery terminal.
#87 goes to the heater grip circuit.
:)

Last edited: