Two brother exhaust mod help (pipes doesn't fit)

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, i need your urgent help.

I was installing the two borthers exhaust today and everything was fine till step #8 which says "Slip the canister/slip tube(V.A.L.E.™) assembly into place and loosely tighten the supplied barrel band clamp."

Either i can't get it right, or there is something wrong.

How am i supposed to get them together??? the two pipers are equal in diameter.
The supplied exhaust Y-shape pipe and the bike pipe out of the Cat conv.
May be the previous owner changed something in the bike thats why it doesn't fit or i am stupid???

Please see the photo and help me.

Should pipe#1 go into pipe #2? or Should pipe #2 goes inside #1?
if yes for any of the above then i have to change pipe #2 or #1??????

OR nothing is wrong, Pipe #1 and pipe #2 goes head to head and the Barrel band clamp (#3) should hold them together.
2bros

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee helpppppppppppppppppp

Last edited by a moderator:

chihuahuastud

Reaction score
Visit site
We had the same problem with my Leo's. 1 should slide over 2. It takes some work, we took the handle of a screwdriver and slightly tweaked the tabs of pipe 1, and I mean slightly! The biggest thing I learned about exhaust installation is to get everything assembled and lined up before you tighten anything down. Takes a lot of small adjustments to get everything lined up properly.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
For those of you that hate Harbor Freight, read no further.

Go to Harbor Freight, you can buy a tail pipe expander (slips into the pipe and then expands with a screw drive mechanism), very inexpensive.

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
chihuhustud, thanks, but it seems i need to do more than that.

Jtarkany, i'm in Dubai, UAE, i don't know what is Harbor Freight and if i order online it will take no less than few weeks :s

Bump.....

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my two brothers slid right in the stock pipe... wasnt the easiest thing in the world, but i wouldnt say it was a problem... you sir, appear to have a problem.. why... i dunno...

guess i am of no help, other than to say, when you do get it on... vroom vroom. you will love it...

sorry, i guess that hurts worse... :spank:

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be able to find a pipe expander locally in Dubai. Check out the link so you can see what type of tool it is, then visit any local auto muffler repair shop. They should have the tool and probably can expand it for you. Good luck!

Desi_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You could try to pry the muffler end with Nose pliers etc (just put in & open the handles etc)

Or you could could try to find a piece of pipe that slides over both the ends & use 2 clamps on either end. Use High temp RTV etc & dont think it'll leak.

My $0.02

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
chihuhustud, thanks, but it seems i need to do more than that.

Jtarkany, i'm in Dubai, UAE, i don't know what is Harbor Freight and if i order online it will take no less than few weeks :s

Bump.....

Yoka,

The pipe that is supposed to fit 'over' the other one.... you should be able to take a wooden handle from a broom, and insert that into the pipe 5 or 6 inches, with a foot or more sticking out. Tap the handle against the inside edges of the pipe you want to expand, tapping frequently around as much of the pipe's edge as you can. This is the same idea as the guy who suggested using a screw driver handle to to the expanding... you just need it wide enough to 'start' the pipe onto the other piece... it should not be easy to slide them together. Once you can insert the pipe from the other piece, that will continue the expansion you have started, and keep the whole junction very snug. More than likely, you will need drive the two pipes together and then tighten the clamp to make sure it does not work loose.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, i need your urgent help.

I was installing the two borthers exhaust today and everything was fine till step #8 which says "Slip the canister/slip tube(V.A.L.E.™) assembly into place and loosely tighten the supplied barrel band clamp."

Either i can't get it right, or there is something wrong.

How am i supposed to get them together??? the two pipers are equal in diameter.
The supplied exhaust Y-shape pipe and the bike pipe out of the Cat conv.
May be the previous owner changed something in the bike thats why it doesn't fit or i am stupid???

Please see the photo and help me.

Should pipe#1 go into pipe #2? or Should pipe #2 goes inside #1?
if yes for any of the above then i have to change pipe #2 or #1??????

OR nothing is wrong, Pipe #1 and pipe #2 goes head to head and the Barrel band clamp (#3) should hold them together.
2bros%

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee helpppppppppppppppppp
Dude, I know how you feel. I too thought it was screwed up by the previous owner or TB sent the wrong pipe. I even had it Ceramic Powder Coated Black and I thought I was going to have to buy a new pipe.

It fits. I promise. Put it right up against the cat pipe and just work it with a twist. you will see little movements. No pipe expander.....you want that thing tight so i doesn't leak.

Stay with it and it will be fine

Last edited:

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I put the Y pipe on first when I installed my TB's, IRRC. I don't recall having a problem. If you slide it on w/out the pipes connected, or connected very loosely, will it work then? I don't even recall 100% my steps in reconnecting everything when I swapped sides w/my cans. I'll look thru my installation pics quicklike and see if I can see something.

Alright, nothing in my pics helped me...and, I was wrong about my procedure. I loosely assembled everything, then slid the Y pipe in...then I put the clamps on. I hope that helps?

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
::cheer:THANKS ALL :cheer:

yeah baby yeah :rockon: i was dancing like a cheer leader with big belly when i heard this sound growwwllllinngggg and roaarrinnggg.

damn, what a feeling.

Ok. After reading your inputs, i called an exhaust shop, but when i went down to disassemble the bike again, i thought...hmmm, lets try to expand it myself in the same manner you guys suggested using a broom stick or using a screw driver. I just used a crimber, i stuck it inside and opened it, in all direction and voi a la
:wav:

It fit with alot of squeezing and rotating.

Thanks alot to YamahaMAXdRPMs for giving me the ummff to keep trying :Flip:

Went through the rest of the modificaiton, wiring is not clear in the instructions and i just got a license plate without a holder so i just stuck it behind the license plate light, i will get a steel nuts rather the plastic ones supplied.

Then i put everything back together, ended up with alot of bolts, nuts and bike pieces :D

Turned on the keys and :sinister:

i was like :cheer: all around the bike.

Thanks guys, next time i'll not wait that long till i install new pipes.

thanks to all of you guys, and thanks to RJ2112 and Desi_FZ6 for their "come on and do it yourself" tip :D

here how it looks like.

2bros%20installed.jpg

Next weekend, it is the TB juice box and Garmin zumo wiring.

cheers all

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

fcukyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
hi buddy , all hope is not lost , them pipes do fit together , i thought the same as you when i was fitting my bos gt pipes , it's mean't to be a really snug fit just take a deep breath and try again it will fit , good luck .:rockon::thumbup:

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Next job is change the rear tire, lube the chain, and overall check up then clean the bike.

Its the start of the season in our part of the world.

this photo i took last month, when i thought it is a good day to ride, turned out it is not. :confused: and the temp you can see, note. this is in Celsius.

05082009.jpg

Power commander, got infinite settings as far as i know, so you do program whatever you feel

Juice box got 6 settings, so unless you are a pro just get a juicebox :D

cheers