UK trip from continental Europe, September 9th, 10th & 11th, 2011

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: UK trip from continental Europe, September 9th,10th & 11th, 2011

I hope no one thinks this is a stupid question but can I just ask, is the date 9/10/2011 European style dating as in 9th of October and not American style as in September the 10th???

its the weekend of 9, 10 and 11 september ;)
at least i hope so, thats the weekend i booked LOL :don'tknow:

Yep that's the weekend I booked as well :thumbup:

The ride in the UK will be on Saturday 10th september.

I changed the title, hopefully this will make things a bit clearer.

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope we get some better weather than it is here right now. It has been raining since 2130, I'm looking for a nice rain proof suit, gonna check out the rev it defender when I get back from spain (32 degrees celcius right now :) )

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope we get some better weather than it is here right now. It has been raining since 2130, I'm looking for a nice rain proof suit, gonna check out the rev it defender when I get back from spain (32 degrees celcius right now :) )

Have you got yourself any waterproofs yet Tim? you never know :rolleyes:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you got yourself any waterproofs yet Tim? you never know :rolleyes:

budget is kinda low since I bought the bike lol, just received the adventure cases though, I can take pretty much every piece of clothing I own with me now :thumbup:

I was wondering, dont you need to reserve a spot on the train if we'd take the tunnel??? Or even the boat??

Payday is next wednesday so maybe I'll go shopping then, considering the Revit defender suit, I have an IXS textile combo now, but it requires regular jeans underneath to be comfortable, I'd like some riding pants that have a slim fit and work like regular pants as well..

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
*bump* Martin, like I said in my earlier post, dont you need to reserve a spot on the train if we'd take the tunnel??? Or even the boat?? Boat maybe not, but for the train??

and I got one of these to wear in the UK :)

REVIT_Defender_GTX_Jacket_detail.jpg

with
rev-it_trousers_defender-gtx_silver.jpg

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking suit Tim :thumbup:,that should keep the british weather out. Most ferry fares are cheaper if you book them before hand but what I've seen you can book them on line without any problems. I'm on holiday at the moment (soaking up the Portugeese sun :thumbup:), but I will be back to the Dutch weather tomorrow :(. Anyway I'll check it out when I'm home (the WIFI in the appartment is pretty slow and only available in the foyer,anyway I'm going to make good use of the few sun hours we have left :thumbup:)
I'll get in touch when I'm back :thumbup:.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remembered, I still owe you lunch since the last ride into germany, where we had a pretty nice lunch. Hope to find some english cooking along the ride, and my sister is demanding I bring back some flavours of chutney and whatver else I can find, the UK is more unknown to me than france or spain so I'm not sure what to expect lol. Do they still live in caves???

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
here's some stuff that i regularly have to import from the uk

- decent cheese (some nice vintage cheddar (not the cheap stuff), or some crumbly lancashire)
- mint chocolate (i have no idea why this doesn't exist in holland)
- mint choc chip ice cream (as above)
- steak/prawn flavour crisps (ok i don't actually eat these)

other typically british stuff to try:
roast dinner with yorkshire puddings
welsh lamb (why is lamb so expensive in nl!)
fish and chips with vinegar
curry
proper beer (real ale)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remembered, I still owe you lunch since the last ride into germany, where we had a pretty nice lunch. Hope to find some english cooking along the ride, and my sister is demanding I bring back some flavours of chutney and whatver else I can find, the UK is more unknown to me than france or spain so I'm not sure what to expect lol. Do they still live in caves???

Thanks Tim, I forgot about that :thumbup: Well the british have evolved beyond being troglodytes, you wouldn't think so on a friday night but it's true ;)

here's some stuff that i regularly have to import from the uk

- decent cheese (some nice vintage cheddar (not the cheap stuff), or some crumbly lancashire)
- mint chocolate (i have no idea why this doesn't exist in holland)
- mint choc chip ice cream (as above)
- steak/prawn flavour crisps (ok i don't actually eat these)

other typically british stuff to try:
roast dinner with yorkshire puddings
welsh lamb (why is lamb so expensive in nl!)
fish and chips with vinegar
curry
proper beer (real ale)

I love the way curry is labeled as a british food these days Greg:thumbup:

I totally agree with you about the other stuff.

We always take cheshire cheese back with us from the UK (my wife is crazy about the stuff).
I know what you mean about the lamb, its really expensive across here (in Holland), not all places sell it and it's generally not as nice (tender).
I love a full English breakfast (even though most Dutch people don't).
We always take Bisto gravy granules with us as well.
Nothing beats Thorntons toffee (preferably with brazil nut) mmmmm.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny, even though its a modern western european country, its pretty different from any country I ever visited.
Sometimes at a party I tend to drink a little too much, but never as much as some of the UK crowd I met at bars in spain/greece.
The full english breakfast is almost unique, I've never seen a breakfast as "heavy" as that.
I do plan on going back to the UK for a longer trip, as I always wanted to go see the scottish highlands, one of the most beautifull places in the UK, if not the world.

I'll leave 1 of my cases on the GS empty to stack up on stuff you can only find in the uk ;)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tim the English are unique in Europe, but they grow on ya ;). An English breakfast is great for a days ride I've heard that Solo cafe is great for an English breakfast :thumbup:

I was recently given a great route for Sunday on the Kent & sussex bikers forum by our own Spin Doctor.

Here it is We'll be stopping at a pub in Rye for lunch which is a popular bikers haunt. The Eurotunnel terminal is the end of the route but it's only a short distance down the M20 to Dover (for the ferry). I'm really looking forward to it :rockon:

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't really eat a full english breakfast very often, but i do eat 5-6 eggs and bacon for breakfast every day...

i think everybody has their own thigns they like in a full english, for me i like:
- high quality sausages (linconshire, cumberland, pork and apple) (also another thing to import from the uk)
- scrambled eggs
- tomatoes
- bacon
- mushrooms
- baked beans (not any more though)
- toast or french bread (if i'm not being paleo)
- black pudding
- steak :D

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't really eat a full english breakfast very often, but i do eat 5-6 eggs and bacon for breakfast every day...

:eek:

i think everybody has their own thigns they like in a full english, for me i like:
- high quality sausages (linconshire, cumberland, pork and apple) (also another thing to import from the uk)
- scrambled eggs
- tomatoes
- bacon
- mushrooms
- black pudding

Love Lincolnshire sausages,
Personally I think French Toast is not truly British, it's more American :spank:
Never had steak for breakfast.

I used to dislike tomatoes for breakfast, but I was recently in Portugal and they did a beautiful sweet tomato in the oven with a very light herb dressing, mmmmmm

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
to be fair a dutch person introduced me to eggy bread a few years ago...

...eggy bread is bread dipped in a mixture of eggs and sugar, and then fried in butter

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

- scrambled eggs
- tomatoes
- bacon
- mushrooms
- black pudding

Bloody hell, how's your heart! :eek: :)

Special K or a muesli bar for my brekky and ALWAYS with a coffee :rockon:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: