UK trip from continental Europe, September 9th, 10th & 11th, 2011

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's just an idea at the moment, but I was thinking about making a long weekend trip across to the UK in the summer of 2011 (but not during the holidays).

I will only be doing it if I get enough interest from people on this side of the channel.

Well here's the idea:

ride down through Belgium to Calais on the Friday, it's about a 4 hour ride for me but I would want to take a break somewhere along the way. Maybe meet up with a couple of other riders along the way.

Take the ferry from Calais to Dover (aprox €60), travelling time 1hr30mins or channel tunnel (aprox €70), travelling time 35mins.

If we have a bit of time on the Friday we could possibly take the scenic route to Canterbury, and after viewing Dover castle we could take in places like Deal, Sandwich, Broadstairs and Manston history museum (if it's still open).

Stay at a hostel, for example this one
in Canterbury

Go for a long ride on the Saturday, maybe to be joined by a couple of people from the UK group.

Go for a short ride on the Sunday before heading off towards the port.

Journey home.

This is just an idea and there are many variables, but if you might be interested please post here, with your own idea's of course :thumbup:

BTW Frank (Astennu) suggested it last weekend, and it got me thinking.

It's a long way away but I first wanted to hear if anyone might be interested.

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Trip to UK from continental Europe, summer 2011

I kinda missed this post as I sort off moved to the fz1-forum :p
didn't forget you guys but as winter is moving in, riding the bike to work is almost over for me, having a car for the cold rainy days is a nice luxury.
But this sounds pretty cool Martin, if you don't mind having a fz1 in the group I'd love to tag along. I always wanted to go to the UK by bike, but never had anyone to go with.
(still need to convince my friends to get their motorcycle drivers license lol..)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I kinda missed this post as I sort off moved to the fz1-forum :p
didn't forget you guys but as winter is moving in, riding the bike to work is almost over for me, having a car for the cold rainy days is a nice luxury.
But this sounds pretty cool Martin, if you don't mind having a fz1 in the group I'd love to tag along. I always wanted to go to the UK by bike, but never had anyone to go with.
(still need to convince my friends to get their motorcycle drivers license lol..)

Well up till now you seem to be the only one who noticed it.
Of course you'll be welcome Tim :thumbup: at the moment it's more seeing if there's a genuine interest from enough people to make the trip worth while.

I was wondering if anyone from the UK could show me where I could find motorbike routes for the south east.

If anyone else is in any way interested please post here :thumbup:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

well its only october :) theres still plenty of time to figure things out, find more interested people.
I've seen some movie clips online of nice routes there, seemed to me its a huge improvement compared to the dutch scenery ;) Dikes are fun, but not for the 100th time

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site

Ooh! I might well be up for it - depending on work and money. I'd meet you guys in Calais as would be traveling from Paris. I'm always up for a road trip adventure!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

well its only october :) theres still plenty of time to figure things out, find more interested people.
I've seen some movie clips online of nice routes there, seemed to me its a huge improvement compared to the dutch scenery ;) Dikes are fun, but not for the 100th time

I know what you mean about the Dijks they are great fun but the're a bit lacking in scenary.

Cloggy this website has routes for all over: BestBikingRoads Motorcycle Touring Motorcycle Routes Motorcycle

There may be some nice ones down that way.

Broadstairs is really nice - I'll be on holiday there in April.

Thanks Youngy, I could probably make a nice route out of a few of those stretches. I also saw a couple on this website The nicest routes on RouteYou | RouteYou which I might be able to use.

I lived in Ramsgate for about a year (it is definately a nice area), before moving across here, but I was traveling a lot and never really took the time to explore, at that time I didn't have my bike license either.

Ooh! I might well be up for it - depending on work and money. I'd meet you guys in Calais as would be traveling from Paris. I'm always up for a road trip adventure!

That would be great Davey, it would be nice if we could meet up in calais with more people traveling from the continent :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I told a mate of mine about the possibility of a trip to the UK and he got all enthusiastic about it. If you guys don't mind he would love to come along.

He doesn't ride a yamaha now :spank: but he did have a FJR for many years ;).

As I'm now planning on going for a weekend to the TT in Assen next year, the beginning of September (after the school summer hols) is now looking like the best time for me.

I'm still looking for a nice route if anyone in the UK knows a good ride around kent :thumbup:. I even joined a local motorbike forum in Kent to find out about the better riding roads.

Of course it would be great if any UK riders would like to join :thumbup:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I found this route on the Promotor site. I'm sure I can make a couple of routes from them :thumbup:.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

A mate of mine from the UK would like to join us in Canterbury if that's OK with you guys. Mike also took part in the UK meet a couple of years ago :thumbup:.

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I hate winters, theres about 20 cm of snow infront of my door right now,
the city of Nijmegen ran out of salt yesterday, so all the roads are covered in snow right now. It'll be great fun getting to work...NOT.

As for people tagging along, the more the merrier, right?
I like meeting new people, especially from different countries.

I'm looking forward to the trip, the map from promotor looks interesting.
I have NO idea how the roads are over there, so I'm completely trusting you Martin ;)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I hate winters, theres about 20 cm of snow infront of my door right now,
the city of Nijmegen ran out of salt yesterday, so all the roads are covered in snow right now. It'll be great fun getting to work...NOT.

Well there's hardly any snow in Den Helder (where I work) but loads in Alkmaar (where I live), but we still have plenty of salt :thumbup: hope your commute was uneventful this morning Tim.

As for people tagging along, the more the merrier, right?
I like meeting new people, especially from different countries.

I'm looking forward to the trip, the map from promotor looks interesting.
I have NO idea how the roads are over there, so I'm completely trusting you Martin ;)

Well the promotor route includes routes recommended on the kent and Sussex riders forum so they can't be that bad. I'll just have to use this to plan 3 rides one for Friday late afternoon, the main one on Saturday and a shorter one for sunday.
Well it's great to talk about summer trips when it's so cold outside :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hi Martin,

I would love to do Assen next year. Let me know what dates your looking at.
I could convince the wife that its for my 40th:cheer: (I was going to go to Aus before the recession). Assen would defo be within reach.

Nelly:thumbup:

Last edited:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com

Hey, I'm up for it. I live in Kent at the moment and Canterbury isn't that far for me. I'll do a bit of exploring and see what I can find out about good routes.

Any idea about dates yet? My schedule is filling up pretty quickly.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hi Martin,

I would love to do Assen next year. Let me know what dates your looking at.
I could convince the wife that its for my 40th:cheer: (I was going to go to Aus before the recession). Assen would defo be within reach.

Nelly:thumbup:

That would be great Neil, I've started a new thread for anyone going to Assen.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey, I'm up for it. I live in Kent at the moment and Canterbury isn't that far for me. I'll do a bit of exploring and see what I can find out about good routes.

Any idea about dates yet? My schedule is filling up pretty quickly.

That would be great David :thumbup:

I haven't set a date yet but I would like to do it sometime after the 4th of September as that's when the kids regional summer holidays end (in North Holland), (generally my wife and I have to juggle dates around the kids summer holidays as we both work). It's also handy as the hostels will have more room after the holidays.

Does anyone else have any preferences as I'm the same as David in that my calender is filling up rapidly, so it would be handy to set a date :thumbup:.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

no date preferences, only weather preferences ;) if its raining im not going,
aside from having to clean the bike all over again after a rainy day, my leather suit isnt water proof.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site

I did not reply yet but i'm in for a nice ride! Cant wait until the weather gets better again.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

no date preferences, only weather preferences ;) if its raining im not going,
aside from having to clean the bike all over again after a rainy day, my leather suit isnt water proof.

The weather gods are unfortunately not in my circle of friends :rolleyes:
tip, get a water proof suit :thumbup:

I did not reply yet but i'm in for a nice ride! Cant wait until the weather gets better again.

Of course being the person who suggested this trip I'm pleased to have you along :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I've decided to set the date as 9th,10th & 11th September, hopefully this will be early enough to avoid the bad weather :thumbup:.

at the moment the people who are taking part are

From NL:
Myself
Ronald & wife (mate from my work)
Frank (Astennu)
Tim (Drinky) (if the weathers OK)

From France:
Davey (depending on work schedule)

From UK:
Mike (mate from Swindon, UK)
David (Doorag)

Of course if anyone else wants to join let me know :thumbup: