Viviifz6's dual headlight mod

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, first off please bare with me, as this is my first new, large post from my HTC evo. This may have been done, but I haven't seen anything about it. I did a very non invasive dual headlight mod. Pretty simple simple, it required about a1 ft or 30cm section of wire, I used 12 gauge and 2 typical connectors. You can follow the pics, but I modified one of the connectors a little bit then you just insert them into the top slot on your left headlight then insert the other side into the empty alot on the right headlight. It isreal straight forward and works great.I'll label pics tonight when I get to my computer. And apparently add them too, my phone is being temperamental

edit: Here are the pics, labeled. I have only had a chance to run the bike for about 20 minutes had no problems yet, but please let me know if you guys think there is a major malfunction somewhere, and remember, this is just a prototype, so im going to perfect it!

Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Apparrently everyone is trying to get their names on a mod (bd43's, tcmalker's,etc). We shall see if yours is worthy. If not be ready for a ridicule. J/k.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you switch to high beam does the low beam filament shut off?

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this sounds like just running both headlights off of the powered side... i remember reading somewhere that this was not a good idea.. cant remember why, but do recall reading it..

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
this sounds like just running both headlights off of the powered side... i remember reading somewhere that this was not a good idea.. cant remember why, but do recall reading it..

Yes, that's what I thought too. I think you're drawing too much power down the wire.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I think this is just a variation of the Gand's dual headlights mod:
Gand's simple FZ6 Dual Headlight mod

But instead of splicing or tapping the left headlight wire, you plug the new wire in the same slot of existing left side. Right? This mod is a NO-NO since when you use the high beams, the low beam is still on. Not good.

BTW, the link to WTVa's mod (which is actually Sportbikes.net - View Single Post - Light Mod.. Done) is a prerequisit for bd43's dual headlights mod. bd43 just refined it. History lesson, free of charge.

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
So I understand its not a good idea, but where does it go wrong, is it too much heat with both the high and low beam on, on the left side, or is it that it will pull to much electricity through the wire going to the left headlight from the harness? Has anyone actually had trouble with this, or is it just rumored to happen?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I understand its not a good idea, but where does it go wrong, is it too much heat with both the high and low beam on, on the left side, or is it that it will pull to much electricity through the wire going to the left headlight from the harness? Has anyone actually had trouble with this, or is it just rumored to happen?

The wire will safely carry the current of 2 lamps. I think it's because you don't want to run this set up and turn on the high beam. When the high beam turns on the low beam filament in the h4 lamp (right side) is supposed to turn off. If you haven't facilitated a way for that to happen then you are drawing extra current on the total headlight circuit as well as overheating the h4 lamp and associated socket and reflector.

I sent you a PM on this. :mikebike:

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
The wire will safely carry the current of 2 lamps. I think it's because you don't want to run this set up and turn on the high beam. When the high beam turns on the low beam filament in the h4 lamp (right side) is supposed to turn off. If you haven't facilitated a way for that to happen then you are drawing extra current on the total headlight circuit as well as overheating the h4 lamp and associated socket and reflector.

I sent you a PM on this. :mikebike:

I got your PM, sorry, I was reading it on my phone, and i got busy at work! LOL
So I understand it may increase temp in the housing, so is that the main concern? Because in theory, the wires in any piece of electronic , especially cars, are over designed, so they could carry more load if something were to happen, also, it should blow the breaker first. Now I know that stuff doesnt always happen the way its supposed to, just trying to get all the information for an informed decision on whether or not to take it off. Also, does the Low beam and high beam run off the same wire and then splice close to the headlight assembly, or it a seperate wire from the harness?
Thanks

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read some of the sportbikes.net posts about it. Doesnt it have to do with drawing too much power and killing the battery as the charging system is over-taxed?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got your PM, sorry, I was reading it on my phone, and i got busy at work! LOL
So I understand it may increase temp in the housing, so is that the main concern? Because in theory, the wires in any piece of electronic , especially cars, are over designed, so they could carry more load if something were to happen, also, it should blow the breaker first. Now I know that stuff doesnt always happen the way its supposed to, just trying to get all the information for an informed decision on whether or not to take it off. Also, does the Low beam and high beam run off the same wire and then splice close to the headlight assembly, or it a seperate wire from the harness?
Thanks

Yes the circuit is fully capable of carrying a 65watt and a 55 watt filament but if you're running 55w + 55w + 65w, you are running 55 to 65 watts over the intended design if you are not unloading the low beam filament that you plan to use in the H4 lamp assembly during high beam operation. So your insurance on light at a critical moment at night will be tested. I guess you can carry a flashlight and swap the fuse when this happens but you'll want to kill that low beam on the right side. I wouldn't consider that acceptable design constraint. A single wire in that assembly will carry the two filament at one time. The extra wattage plus the eminent premature failure of the H4 lamp running two filaments at once will cause problems. The H4 socket may also fail and I would imagine heat could transfer to the reflector.
Regardless of how much current the circuit can carry there is the problem of heat in the H4 when running those two filaments together.

I read some of the sportbikes.net posts about it. Doesnt it have to do with drawing too much power and killing the battery as the charging system is over-taxed?

A healthy charging system would be able to handle the extra wattage but if you have other extras you could over run the FZ6 charging system. You'll have no problem running just the two filaments (left and right) but running all 3 filaments?
Put it this way, I bet the H4 running both filaments will last about an hour if your lucky and once that fails you'll be back to one low beam in the left eye.
It's interesting that the FZ6 only has a high beam on the right and only a low beam(no high beam) on the left.:rolleyes:

Last edited: