weird "clunking" sound

sjowol

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
This has been bugging me for a while, have not been able to find anything through google and am unfortunately very non-technical so I hope you guys can help me out.

I had an accident om my '09 FZ6 about 3 months ago now (went down on the freeway but that's a whole different story).
The round cover with yamaha on it on the left of the engine got pretty badly damaged, I had to have it replace plus the inside of it too as parts of the metal of the case were wedged inside according to my mechanic.
since i had this work done it seems that whenever i slow down there is some clunking going on in the engine area, I can't really be more specific as it stops whenever I come to a complete stop so I can't get off the bike and have a good look/listen where exactly it's coming from.

Basically i hear faint clunking sound when i slow down, and feel it too, it's not like when you clunk into gear (nothing like it) but really faint, i don't notice it when i am driving, only when coming to a halt, even when i am in neutral but it stops when i stop.

Any of you guys have an idea what this might be and if it is anything to worry about, I have been riding like this for 2 months now and it does not seem to affect performance whatsoever, I commute 40 miles a day and usually go on rides on the weekend so can safely say the bikes (otherways) runs great.
The other thing i found is that I can now shift without using the clutch, previously I was not able to do that, I guess the FZ'6 have something preventing the shift peddle from moving when the clutch is not pulled in? I just noticed I can shift without clutching last week so not sure if it is related but it does make me think the "clunking" has something to do with the gears. but then I am far, far from being a mechanic or having any mechanical skills whatsoever... i can change my oil and oilfilter.. that's about it.
So hopefully someone here knows what it might be/how to fix it or even had the same thing happen too?

wuld be great if anyone can help me out with this!
Thanks,

Joel

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The FZ6 can be shifted without clutch use. That's 'normal'.

A faint clunking sound only on slowing may be caused by chain slack, or the rear wheel cush drive being buggered up. There's a rubber insert between the rear sprocket assembly and the hub of the rear wheel to damp out the sort of sound you are concerned with. If someone had to take the rear wheel off to repair the damage from the previous accident, that MIGHT cause such a noise.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might try putting it on the center stand (kick stand up) and cranking up the bike. Accelerate to 1st or second gear, (the slowest that'll duplicate the noise) and try to pin point the area of the noise. The part that he replaced is the stator cover (electric's and probably the stator). The rotor may have been damaged however, unless the end of the crankshaft is bent, shouldn't be making any noises...

Besides the above mentioned cush drive, a drive chain with a kink in it/not serviced can make some noises. You may want to look closely at that and lube it as well. Put a screwdriver to your ear and the engine case will help pinpoint the noise (or a stethescope) DO NOT lube the chain with the bike running in gear..... You may be able to duplicate the noise on the centerstand just rotating the rear wheel by hand. As the chain goes around the front sprocket it has to tighten its radius considerably and again, if not lubed can make some noise.

NOTE; RUNNING THE BIKE ON THE CENTER STAND CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS.
HAVING A FRIEND SIT ON THE BIKE, WITH THE FRONT BRAKE ON,
MANAGING THE THROTTLE WOULD HELP AND BE
CONSIDERABLY SAFER.

**I would also strongly consider bringing it back to the servicing dealer and have him listen to it. If it started making the noise after he fixed it, he missed something....

BTW, how many miles on the bike and the service history of the drive chain? (how often cleaned/lubed)

Good luck.

Last edited:

sjowol

Reaction score
Visit site
can it be?!
so right before I wrote this post I actually cleaned the bike and also the chain (first time since the accident) got the chain all nice and shiny again, went crzy with the grunge brush and lubed it up real good... to my astonishment I did not notice the clunking this morning. it's like going to the doctor and your symptoms disappear :p
well i really hope it was just a matter of chain lube i'll see what happens on the way home today but i have got good hopes!
tanks for all the tips though, i hope not to have to try them all but still great help!