~~~ What did you do to your Bike Today Thread??? ~~~

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally replaced the faulty kill switch, I had bypassed the old one but it kept bugging me the bike is not 100% kosher.

You need to remove the airbox+battery, the connector is located on the right side (sitting on the bike) under the frame. Tie a strong nylon string to the old cable, pull it out and then tie the string to the new cable to make sure it follows the exact same route going back in :)

01.jpg

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pro tip; make sure to remember where at least half of the screws go, that way when you reassemble you first put in the screws you "know" and then pray you figure out the rest!

/s :p
03.jpg

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to this forum and the search/history, received and installed a new set of Barkbusters (S1 Storm) on my '05... looking forward to seeing if this (in addition to my heated handgrips) allows me to ride comfortably below 40 deg. F. The thumb was always the problem, you see...

sidenote - a guy on a Honda Interceptor had a set of these installed... intriguing!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I put my bikes away for a long winter nap. Oil was changed, batteries put on a tender and the bikes with carbs got 100LL to survive the winter. Despite the late start to the riding season, me and the FZ did a lot of riding in 2020. My goal for 2021 is to find people to ride with. Riding alone for the most part of the last 30 years kind of sucks. EEE88A32-7A60-46C1-9B52-3FFB3B861F2F.jpeg

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I put my bikes away for a long winter nap. Oil was changed, batteries put on a tender and the bikes with carbs got 100LL to survive the winter. Despite the late start to the riding season, me and the FZ did a lot of riding in 2020. My goal for 2021 is to find people to ride with. Riding alone for the most part of the last 30 years kind of sucks. View attachment 73848

You can count me in buddy.....

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish I had put my bikes up by now. I sold my house and moved in August following divorce almost a year prior. I didn't want to move, but I needed to get on with my life and it wasn't happening where I was. The move was followed by a few more months of deep depression that is only now starting to lift. I haven't ridden the whole time. My bike has been sitting on paddock stands in a somewhat temperature controlled garage since then. In this part of Kentucky we can ride well into November and even get a few days in the dead of winter if we're lucky, so it isn't the end of the world. I have a list of maintenance and upgrades I want to do now that I am starting to feel functional again. Hopefully the bikes survived the bit of neglect I put them through.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I installed the STS indicator unit that has been sitting around for about a month. I bought the brake flash unit at the same time and installed that almost as soon as it had arrived as its a doddle to put on. The indicator unit takes a little more time and in another post you can read about fitting the unit with couple of plugs that means no cutting into the loom and it can be removed with out a trace if needs be. Bit of a juggle getting everything hidden away but a very clean install and now the indicators cancel as soon as I turn a corner or change lanes.

for those interested:

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about installing the smart turn and brake modules myself, as well as getting my running lights and hi/low functionality back. All of that in conjunction with tidying up the extra length of wire from ditching the fairing and rear fender. Knowing my wiring is mess really bothers me.

I'm also thinking about having my bike re-painted. If so, I will take off the tank, fender, and tail section and deliver it to the painter. While all of that is off and out of the way, it will be a good time to dig into the wiring and tackling some other jobs.

We'll see if I have the guts to dig into it.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did buy the plugs and crimps and crimping tool from Eastern Beaver in Japan so I could put the indicator module in cleanly. But the brake unoit is so easy to install with the connectors supplied. The biggest consideration is where to mount the units. Plan everything and research what you are going to tackle. Most jobs are pretty do-able by riders, but there are some things I am happy to pay someone else to do. The other thing is my bike is my only transport so I have to be sure I don't do anything that I stuff up.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have any photos, or advice on connectors to use, please share. I am going to put together a plan and buy all of the supplies before I tear into anything.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a look at the post :

Chris put in some excellent pics. and his advice about the length of wires interconnecting the the two plugs is really helpful. His were about 2 inches, I doubled it to about 4 inches but going to six or even eight inches would make life even easier when putting the plugs back into the area behind the head stem.
You should open up the plug and check the wiring colour coding, I think there are some slight differences in the pins that are allocated to each function depending on the model S1/S2 and faired or naked. . I'll find the order details and send em through via pm

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode it for the first time in too long last night. I was feeling guilty for not putting it up properly since the weather has been cold. It was up on stands in a heated garage, but I still hadn't "officially" put it up for the winter. Luckily I started running Yamaha Ring Free Plus in every tank last summer, so though it sat for several weeks it fired right up and ran like a top as usual. It was nearly freezing last night, but I made sure to punch it through the gears and boil off any condensation before rolling back into the garage and topping up the tank with fresh treated fuel. Now I don't feel like a bad owner anymore. I'm only half to my next oil change, but I'll probably change it before spring. Coolant was changed at the beginning of summer.

I'll still get a day or three in January and February if the roads are dry and not covered in salt.