~~~ What did you do to your Bike Today Thread??? ~~~

DeepBarney

Reaction score
Visit site
Put it back together and started riding it. Never got the throttle bodies to balance, but it idles right (and the adjustment screw actually has an effect now) and any hanging throttle/vacuum leak issues seem to be resolved. It runs fine. Accelerates smoothly. I'm not noticing much in the way of vibrations suggesting it's way out of tune (though this is my first 4cyl bike and I'm used to thumpers so I may not be the best judge). I'll call that good enough.

Had to fab up a bracket to mount a tag light from a Suzuki DR650 I had laying around (original was lost when someone decided to pull off the rear fender/tag mount and put a generic tail tidy/tag mount. While I was at it I set about fixing the PO's craptastic turn signal wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_204957207_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210502_204957207_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210502_205028186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210502_205028186_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

fazerkid78

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a 2008 fz6 w 1800 miles. So far I've changed the oil and filter, coolant, footpegs, levers and am hoping to find an exhuast soon. I also am going to try a dynatek fusion fuel controller since they are so cheap on ebay.

fazerkid78

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, a 13 year old bike with only 1,800 miles - what a time capsule. Why do you think you need a fuel controller? From what I’ve seen on the forums, tack-on fuel controllers usually just cause problems. A few members have suffered lean fuel engine failure.
I've had good luck with ECU reflashing with more modern bikes like the Mt-07 and Mt-09 and figured if I added an exhaust couldn't hurt to add a little more fuel but right now I'm running stock exhaust and just enjoying the bike. I had a 2006 Fz6 I put 50000 miles on with leo vince slip ons, cat delete pipe with no fuel controller and it never seemed to hurt the bike so honestly I'm just wasting my money on stuff I don't need probably but at least it's not dope! That's the first I've heard of the lean fuel engine failure issue so I will do some investigating and leave my bike alone until I know it won't hurt it.

fazerkid78

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I added some bar risers! I think it makes the bike much easier to live with since I have short arms!

Attachments

• 0607211953_HDR.jpg
    0607211953_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 0607211953a_HDR.jpg
    0607211953a_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had good luck with ECU reflashing with more modern bikes like the Mt-07 and Mt-09 and figured if I added an exhaust couldn't hurt to add a little more fuel but right now I'm running stock exhaust and just enjoying the bike. I had a 2006 Fz6 I put 50000 miles on with leo vince slip ons, cat delete pipe with no fuel controller and it never seemed to hurt the bike so honestly I'm just wasting my money on stuff I don't need probably but at least it's not dope! That's the first I've heard of the lean fuel engine failure issue so I will do some investigating and leave my bike alone until I know it won't hurt it.

Do a search on the forum - you can adjust the fuel trims via the controls on the instrument panel. But just adding a slip on doesn't require any adjustment. It's there if you want to play with it.

fazerkid78

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a search on the forum - you can adjust the fuel trims via the controls on the instrument panel. But just adding a slip on doesn't require any adjustment. It's there if you want to play with it.
I'm going to leave the cats in so I think I will just leave the bike as is and just enjoy it. I'm getting ready to order some slip ons from the link you guys dropped

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested in risers. Where did you get yours?
Thanks
I'm selling a set of risers via this post:

they are 15mm up and back 30mm roughly - easy to fit and make a world of difference to riding comfort- got all the bolts you'll need -you use the original top plate or brackets over the bar so it looks pretty much the way it does now.
I can post anywhere, if it interests you let me know the city/country I'd be sending to and I'll get the postage price

cheers Adrian

DeepBarney

Reaction score
Visit site
Opened up the forks to see what might be lurking in there. Fluid actually looked and smelled alright, though I'm pretty sure it's ATF. Also discovered a set of progressive springs. Made sure the fluid level was even at 135mm from the top and then buttoned it all back up.

DeepBarney

Reaction score
Visit site
So today in my garage I replaced the brake pads on my FZ6. I could tell they weren't quite down to the minimum thickness listed in the manual (1.0mm) but getting close. That and rear was a squeaky and seemed like the pads were hanging a bit on the pin. The digital calipers say the pads had 2.0-2.7mm. The rotors were all around 4.9mm barely worn from the original 5.0mm, so they'll be staying.
IMG_20210718_145300883_HDR.jpgIMG_20210718_145250981_HDR.jpg

Not sure if it was really necessary to scuff/plane the new pads, but the milling marks were pretty noticeable so I went ahead and did it since only takes a few minutes. Before on the left.
IMG_20210718_150653795_HDR.jpg
They're semi-metallic, so they probably would've bedded in just fine on their own, but it gives peace of mind any crap on the surface was removed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_150404631_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210718_150404631_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So today in my garage I replaced the brake pads on my FZ6. I could tell they weren't quite down to the minimum thickness listed in the manual (1.0mm) but getting close. That and rear was a squeaky and seemed like the pads were hanging a bit on the pin. The digital calipers say the pads had 2.0-2.7mm. The rotors were all around 4.9mm barely worn from the original 5.0mm, so they'll be staying.
View attachment 74349View attachment 74350

Not sure if it was really necessary to scuff/plane the new pads, but the milling marks were pretty noticeable so I went ahead and did it since only takes a few minutes. Before on the left.
View attachment 74353
They're semi-metallic, so they probably would've bedded in just fine on their own, but it gives peace of mind any crap on the surface was removed.

In the 1st picture it looks like the pad support is missing from the caliper. I assume you removed it?

Attachments

• Rear pad support.jpg
    Rear pad support.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 5

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sitting at just over 47,000 miles. Just put new Michelin Road 5 tires (they dropped "pilot" from the name) on front and rear. Will change oil/filter tomorrow. I _might_ be gearing up for a trip. Taking kid to UVM, and am considering either 1) renting a bike there and going into Canada or 2) trailering my FZ6 up and then using it instead. So - prepping to cover my bases for either scenario.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
well not on my FZ6 but on the XSR900

I had taken off the smart turn system brake module when I traded the "wasp". I waited until I had the right plugs to make a small loom and then added it to the new bike.
Eastern Beaver in Japan have an amazing number of original plugs for wiring looms and it makes complete sense to add electrical mods with an additinal loom. Means it's all reversible, and if something doesn't work then getting back to point zero is much easier.

So I also saved my hyper-lites (additional flashing brake lights) so I used the same "new" loom to include that as well.

Safety is key folks.
Now my regular brake will flash when I decelerate (and Lord knows we all use engine braking) and when I do use my brakes the original light will light as per usual and the hyper-lites flash adding an extra point of "attention attraction" for errant drivers.

DeepBarney

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a check engine light that would could come on then go away for a bit before returning the other evening while riding around with a pillion. Checked it and the dash shows Fault code 46 = Power Supply to the FI system relay is not normal. Battery was showing 11 volts when I checked it (not running). Started the bike and the multimeter showed the voltage slowly dropping as it continued to run.

Resistance checking the stator didn't reveal any failures there (odd considering no power seems to be getting sent to the battery). Then I looked at the regulator rectifier and found this:
IMG_20210822_195657883_HDR.jpgIMG_20210822_195609294_HDR.jpgIMG_20210822_195509067_HDR.jpg

Certainly looks suspect. Need to figure out if I can bench test it and confirm if it's failed or not. I don't believe it's the original unit because, other than the electrical goo leak stains, it's pretty clean. That and the casting isn't as nice as I'd expect from an oe part (there's still some flashing around the bolt holes). Also I remember the guy I bought it from said he replaced the stator (with an aftermarket part I assume) not that long ago so maybe he replaced the RR at the same time. So maybe he didn't want it was the originals time to go, or it was a cheap aftermarket unit that failed prematurely.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That R/R is likely toast. I would carefully scrutinize the stator lead to lead as well as lead to chassis ground to insure the winding is not going to ground. obviously the plug and connectors from the stator are damaged and need replacing.