What happens when the rear tire loses traction...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
THIS VIDEO SHOWS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcZyDSM6GI]Close Calls Compilation - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the slow motion at the end of the video. Shows how the rear tires slips, then regains traction which shoots the bike upright instantly...this is what causes high sides.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
For you guys with more skill and track experience than the rest of us...

What is the proper reaction as a rider if you feel the rear tire slip?

Keep steady throttle? Clutch in? More countersteer? Just relax and ride it out? I've only had my rear tire break traction once and it was because of a small amount of sand mid-corner. I didn't even have time to think what to do and fortunately I didn't lift throttle or hit brakes.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've only had it happen twice:

once on track, where I didn't really have time to think about it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OgGYXO81sM]the moment i shat myself at oulton park - YouTube[/ame]

The other time I accelerated a bit hard (on my trusty fz6) as I was going over ridge in the road, and the back broke loose and started fishtailing around. Throttled off and clutched in and it settled down.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wisdom says steer out of it w/out lifting. Depends how far out its stepped and if its an option to go wide. In the mist on some chip seal I had the back step out a couple times and the best action was steering in the direction of slide while very gently easing off the throttle. Of course it was my own fault as I didn't see just how slippery it was. I was educated!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
iIOvpaOZrzBMM.gif
iIOvpaOZrzBMM.gif

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
ive had mine slide out quite a few times, but usually at low speed from oil/junk on the road at an intersection. the only thing i can say is DONT PANIC. if youre smooth, the bike will usually settle itself out. if anything slowly ease off the throttle, that way if it does snap on you it wont be as harsh. **insert usual go ride in the dirt comment here** (but seriously, it makes a world of difference)

and in the video, you can hear where they are being to jerky with the throttle as the see the exit of the corner. the revs jump slightly before the wheel steps out.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's causing this to happen for these guys? Too much throttle on exit?

Yes ^^ Ref 1st vid posted. Then they all chop the throttle which nearly ejects them. A patch or sand or gravel often takes out both ends and once clear, both ends are OK. Too much torque applied and/or abrupt application leads to the rear out.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
did anybody else notice that a lot of these guys are riding "crossed up" ie. butt's hangin off but the torso is still over the tank. those guys on the supermotos should be able to clear that corner at least 10mph faster than the sportbikes as well. they were barely even leaned over, and SuMos are supposed to slide...

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Only once I had a close-call slide in a turn. Last year I started riding one morning too soon (freezing temps during night). Was going quite slow (maybe 40km/h in 3rd gear). Probably it was a thin layer of ice that caught me comming out of a turn and I felt the rear starting to slide from underneath me.
I cut off the throttle and held the steering straight and after a 4-5 smaller and smaller rearwheel slides from side to side the bike went straight... what I didn't do was pull the clutch? Was I extra lucky?

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
First time it happened, that is when I crashed my Fz6. It stepped out about a foot and when it grabbed I almost high sided like that first rider, but used my legs to grip the tank. I totally screwed the throttle control and was not able to recover thus crashing.

A week ago I almost did it again. I was uhh taking a right turn at a brisk pace from one major 5 lane road to another. I was going about 30-35. I had already started in on the turn and then saw that there was a manhole cover right in my line. I did not have enough time to change so I just shot right over the inside of it, trying to get off it as much as possible. The whole bike slid about the width of a manhole cover. Luckily I had my body position set up, hanging cheek off the seat and leaned in but when I saw what was going to happen I came up a little (like you said they were crossed up). I just let the bike do it's thing while I maintained throttle, was light on the pegs and bars. The bike got traction again, wobbled a little bit, standing up pushing into my outside leg. I felt like it pushing me for a high side, but I just stayed loose, trying to visualize myself floating. As soon as the bike settled I finished the corner and I had to slow my heart down.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
why did the dude on the motard put his leg down? it wasn't a reaction to the rear slipping because he put it down before it slipped? just because it looks like a dirt bike, doesn't mean he's in the dirt :confused:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
why did the dude on the motard put his leg down? it wasn't a reaction to the rear slipping because he put it down before it slipped? just because it looks like a dirt bike, doesn't mean he's in the dirt :confused:

its supermoto style. they use they're feet instead of the knee to slide. its not supposed to be used on the street (track only technique) but a lot of guys still do it. supermoto boots are built for that purpose though (didn't look to see if he was wearing them). since motards lean farther than sportbikes without losing grip, sticking your leg out and forward allows for greater lean angle than dragging a knee. max lean angle achieved without crashing on a supermoto is far enough that the dude scraped his handlebars:rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For you guys with more skill and track experience than the rest of us...

What is the proper reaction as a rider if you feel the rear tire slip?

Keep steady throttle? Clutch in? More countersteer? Just relax and ride it out? I've only had my rear tire break traction once and it was because of a small amount of sand mid-corner. I didn't even have time to think what to do and fortunately I didn't lift throttle or hit brakes.

Push down with your knee if you have pucks on. You can steer with your knee if you need to. That move has saved my butt many times on the track.