What have you added to your electrical system?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the name implies, I am taking a poll to see what is typical and what is rare. Please let me know if you have added heated gear (details like gloves, vests, etc) dual low beam mods, power outlets, accent lighting, horns, radios, etc. I am trying to see how much additional load we are able to put on the charging system.

Please provide details if possible.

Thanks

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You've seen my bike, Tom. I have the cig outlet for the GPS, dual low beams, and plug for heated gloves. I've ran all at the same time with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Dual low headlight plus heated grips = draining battery at idle and slow recharging while riding.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BD43 mod, Steble horn, Hyper-lights(rear), GPS (590), BMW style electrical outlet where I'll plug in my Widder heated vest and gauntlet gloves(when cold enough).

NO problems keeping the battery charged but I do shut off the vest while idling at say a traffic light.

Tom, you may have already seen it, but here's a video of my charging voltage from a cold start (dual LB headlights on). There is a fair amount of volts: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127092600@N08/........... NOTE:This video was taken when the battery was on its last days,

BMW style outlet direct wired to the battery(fused):

Stebel horn under fairing:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also you might have folks list the exact PN or Total Watts or Amps of said equipment. Otherwise it's best guess!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also you might have folks list the exact PN or Total Watts or Amps of said equipment. Otherwise it's best guess!

Good point.

If you don't already have heated gear Tom, make that a top priority. Vests just fit over your t-shirt, then your gear. They won't pull as much current as a heated jacket.

The vest I use (no collar), Widder has been out of business for years, I have no idea what it pulls however the tighter it fits, the better it works. I can run it in the low 40's(F) at about 3/4 (variable adjuster). Again, no issues, never had to charge the battery afterwards, just turn it down/off when stopped..

I personally wouldn't bother with heated grips if you have the gauntlet gloves. Just extra draw and the outside of your hands are still cold...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I added a gear indicator, 2 X 35w bi-xenons and additional stop lamp on topcase.

Hella sharp tone horns are on the way.

I know it says Added 70watts, is this in addition to the oem lighting or replacing the oem lighting?
FWIW: gear indicators, speedo healers, likely draw less than 25mA (0.025A) so roughly 0.35watts.

Power (watts) = Voltage * Current (Amps)
And although it is a 12v system it operates at 13.8 - 14.2 volts on average.

And Horns being momentary devices don't really count... Well unless you ride for miles and miles blasting it! :)

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced oem headlights with bi-xenons. So there is no extra load on electrical system. Also I'm not used same wire to supply for both xenon ballasts. Also I never turn up them at the same time because of their power drawn when they warming up(35w ballasts starts at ~6amps).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW - in this thread I measured the current draw of two Moriomoto 3five HID balasts and yes, at startup they draw 6.0A each but run at much less... I could not match the manufacturers claims of 35watts but got close at 40watts which is still net gain if you need to run other accessories.

35-watt-hid-ballast-current-4-0-amps

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have barracuda viper turn signals, each with 21w bulb. On traffic lights, when waiting and indicating to turn left or right i can clearly hear the whizz of fuel pump getting quieter when I indicate :)

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
BD43 headlight mod. Pod lights wired to turn signals. 12V outlet hardwired to the battery (hard wired so a battery can easily be plugged in). Heated grips, and stebel horn wired to a power distribution block.