Votes: 12 19.0%
  • 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mobil 1 10-40W synthetic motor oil OK?

Mobil 1 Has Motorcycle Oil. Its A Blue Label Reading Racing 4T. Ive Been Using It Since My 600 Mile Service. Oil Changes On The FZ6 Are Very Easy. Hardest Part Is Getting The Drain Bolt / Oil Filter Off. I Remember The 1st One Was A Pain In The Ass. Now I Can Knock Em Out In Like 20 Mins. Most Of That Time Is Waiting For The Oil To Drain.

Ohh BTW I Get Mine From AutoZone For $10 A Quart. With A $13 K&N Oil Filter (Product Code 303 Or 303C Chrome)

Good Luck. F Stealerships!

Rotella T is a diesel oil... wait... don't panic, gasoline engines can use it as well. Rotella T is a industrial grade oil... meant for big rigs, tractors, and million dollar earth movers. Rotella T has very high content of Boron (acid neutralizer), Zinc and phosphorous... which are exceptional lubricants. It also has much better detergent package for keeping the engines clean. Rotella T has much more of all this stuff than your typical consumer grade oils. These extra additives are very benificial to our bikes as you can imagine. If multi million dollar farm equipment trust it, then so do I....:thumbup:

That diesel doesn't have a catalytic converter to burn up though. A diesel and that farm equipment will never see 14,000rpm either.

I live in Europe, Macedonia. The summer temperatures here never exceed 38C.
I just changed the oil and now I run on Silkolene 10-40. My friend told me its an Ester oil. The bike seems to run smoother, not sure about the gear change.
Has anyone tried this oil.

From Shell's web site.. Rated for gasoline engines and has a SL API rating... no warnings on destroying cats...

- ROTELLA Products

There are two portions to an additive package that are found in most quality oils be they syn or dyno oil and they are RC6H4ONa, where R is an alkyl chain and Zn[S2P(OR)2]2, where R is a linear or branched alkyl group. These compounds form a very thin cross-linked barrier layer on metal surfaces under high pressure to protect against scuffing between those rotating parts like cams and cranks. The zinc compounds and various amines, such as diphenylamine, also serve as corrosion inhibitors and antioxidants. Many of the problems associated with things like sulphur build up and sludge were eliminated when synthetics cam out and they have only become better in terms of the protection factor with things like sheer strength, lack of viscosity breakdown and extremely high flash points. Funny thing is there is a very good chance the cheap oil found on the shelf in a grocery store when changed properly would still give an engine long life and a slim chance of oil related break down. I don't know that I would be using it on race day though....

Oil Change?

Ok, I have a 08 FZ6 with a little over 1,010 miles.

I called the dealer and they are a week out. I want to change my oil with out waiting for the dealer.

Questions is what type of oil should i use. I am a fan or royal purple, However i am told not to use it until about 3k miles.

HELP.:surrender:

Re: Oil Change?

long story short, use it if you like it. if you want search oil and youll see everything you need. pretty much every thread repeats the same info.

i use mobil 1 10w40 MC oil but might switch to 5w40 heavy duty oil if i can find it.

Search seems to be down right now. Go old school and spend 5 min and look for the various and beaten to death oil threads.

It's oil people....it's not going to make a huge difference what brand you use, as long as you use it.

It's just oil! I don't see why people stress out over what type, brand, synthetic or regular, when to change the filter, when to change the oil, blah blah blah. It's oil. Change it when the manual reccomends or don't. Adding another couple hundered km's between oil changes is not going to destroy your bikes people!

Besides, what's wrong with using the reccomeneded Yamahalube? It's made by Yamaha for Yahamas. Seems pretty damn simple to me...:thumbup:

Last edited:

Search function worked for me...

It's just oil! I don't see why people stress out over what type, brand, synthetic or regular, when to change the filter, when to change the oil, blah blah blah. It's oil. Change it when the manual reccomends or don't. Adding another couple hundered km's between oil changes is not going to destroy your bikes people!:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that you may be considering the use of synthetic oil in your bikes. But you really should Very cautious of synthetic oil! It can do terrible things both to you, and to your bike. Synthetic oil will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically and without warning, dropping your bike flat on the rocky ground! But that's not all . . . . Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. Synthetic oil will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and then she will never ride with, or sleep with, you again. Synthetic oil coats your oil sight window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak out onto the ground overnight, force your favorite dog to drink it at gunpoint, and he will then die a slow horrible writhing death.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam all your zippers shut. Synthetic oil will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. Synthetic oil will make it rain during rallies and on every weekend. It will causing your cam drive to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every sixteen miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots night before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp. Synthetic oil then voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555 overnight. It also dries out your wet clutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch cable or slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your face shield and make your gloves shrink two sizes the night before track day. Synthetic oil will then steal your neutral and sell it for $1.25.

So let's be careful out there!

Boneman said:
Besides, what's wrong with using the reccomeneded Yamahalube? It's made by Yamaha for Yahamas. Seems pretty damn simple to me...:thumbup:

Only thing wrong with it is that it's EXPENSIVE.

ROFL, OMG...awesome post Def!! Best 'oil' post EVER!!!!! ...and about damn time too.

BTW, I don't consider $12 to be expensive.

Last edited:

so I will guess defy uses ............................................synthetic?

what happened to the line about it stealing your girlfriend?

Whatever motorcycle oil that is the recommended weight and is on sale is fine. DIY, it's inexpensive and easy to do.

DI is correct. Synth is the reason gas is $4.00 a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back