What is the license procedure where you live?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's come up a couple of times in the last couple of days and I'm curious about what it takes to get a license in various places.

In California, it's pretty simple:

a) Pass a written test to get your permit. You're allowed to ride, but no passengers, night, or highway riding. Here's a sample test

b) Pass a 2-day MSF course to get your license. If you're over 21, the course is not mandatory, you can take your bike to the DMV and pass a riding test to get your license.

There are other steps required to get your permit or license depending on age (16-18 has certain rules, 18-21 has certain rules) and whether you already have an auto license, but basically that's it. What's it take where you live?

Crax

Reaction score
Visit site
Utah
1) Pass a written test and get your permit. No passengers, night, or roads above 60.
2) Pass the road course at the DMV OR take the msf class and get a waiver for the road course.

Previously, there was just a generic motorcycle license, it is now tiered based on engine size. The whole thing is kinda screwy and dumb, but it as follows
249cc and below, 250cc-649cc, and 650cc and above. What you test on will give you that size restriction and below, unless it's 650 or above and then no restrictions.

So, while many 650cc bikes are actually 649, I'm not sure how picky they are. Also, you can always just get a 652cc bike and test on that and be cleared for all sizes. The MSF course here, let you test on a 652cc bike for an additional fee. I just did the regular 250cc bike, so I have a 649cc and below restriction on my license.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
In Indiana you obtain the permit by taking a written test. Only restrictions you have with a permit include no night riding, no passengers, and helmet and eye protection are required. Permit is good for one year, and you have to hold it for 30 days before you can take the riding test for the endorsement.

For the endorsement, you can either go though the 2 day MSF course, or apply to take a skills test. Passing either one of these earns you your motorcycle endorsement.

If you don't have a drivers license the MSF course is a requirement and you get lots of restrictions. At the age of 16 and 30 days, you can get a motorcycle only license which removes all the restrictions.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In NJ, once you get a permit you must be accompanied by a New Jersey licensed motorcyclist on a separate motorcycle to practice, and must practice with a permit for at least 20 days before being eligible to take the road test.

Getting license is the same as in other states.. either take the riding test at DMV or take MSF. MSF is not required. It also cannot be used as a waiver if you're under 18. For now, riding test can be taking on a SCOOTER! If you pass, you can legally ride any motorcycle. This is about to change.. displacement-specific testing is on its way.. should be implemented in 2012.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay let's take it international.

At 16 you can ride up to a 125cc motorcycle. If you get your licence on a 125 you have to take another test (after turning 18) before being allowed to ride anything bigger.

You go for a learner's licence which involves an eye test and a multiple choice written test. The learner's licence is valid for 18 months. Holders of a learner's licence may not carry a passenger but there are no other restrictions.

Within this period you can apply for your full licence.

This test involves another eye test and written test followed by a practical test on your own bike. This includes riding a course in the testing grounds, pulling off on a slope without rolling back, emergency stops and swerves. You will also be asked to do a pre-ride check of the bike.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In QLD you do a written test , then you must pass a QRide course which cant take as long as is needed... Obviously some people get it fast others need more lessons & time :thumbup: When you pass your test your are restricted to solo riding for 12 months but there are no limits on when you can & cant ride , if you obtain your licence between the age of 16 & 18 you are also restricted to a 250cc capacity , if you are older than 18 or have held a car licence for 12 months you are entitled to what is called an Open Class Licence with no size restrictions... I think that covers all of it.....

Ohh yeah & BTW Travis , I passed the sample test 100% :D

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
In Norway, the education is divided into 4 steps plus a theoretical and a practical exam.

Step 1:
  • 17 hrs "Basic Road Traffic Knowledge", must be 15 yrs old or in the 10th grade to participate, theoretical and mandatory, including first aid and driving in the dark. When passed, you are allowed to practice driving with an assistant who have had his/hers license for at least 5 yrs.
This is the same as for car license, so if your license includes car, you can skip the BRTK course.

Step 2:
  • 3 hrs "Learning about the motorcycle, driving, accidents and accident avoidance", theoretical and mandatory
  • Instructor guided driving lessons (with the instructor as a pillion or on a close by bike with intrabike communication), the number of hours needed are individual.
  • After passing the 3 hrs course and ofter the driving lessons, you must have one mandatory guidance hour with an instructor to see if you are ready to move to step 3.

Step 3:
  • 4 hrs "Safety Course, Precise Riding Technique" (1 hr theory, 3 hrs riding). Learning the physical and mental limitations, knowing that practise is important to avoid errouneous behaviour, learning the connection between good skills and the joy of driving.
  • Instructor guided driving lessons (with the instructor as a pillion or on a close by bike with intrabike communication), the number of hours needed are individual.

Step 4:
  • 8 hrs "Safety Course on the road" (4 hrs theory, 4 hrs riding (one long trip)), driving securely and efficiently in varied road and traffic envoronment.
  • Learning how to be aware how you can improve as a driver after passing your tests.

Theoretical exam:
  • 40 questions in 90 mins, must have 85% correct answers.

Practical exam:
  • Safety check before driving (brakes, lights, dampers)
  • Test of skills: Slow speed maneuvering between cones, 180 degree turn in 30 km/h, evasive maneuver in 40 km/h.
  • 35 mins driving test on road in mixed environment, with censor as pillion.
  • Must explain one area in depth (how does i work, how to check, why check, what can go wrong, what to look for), selected by picking a card: Front brake, rear brake, chain, steering, lights, swing arm, etc...

ManxMann

Reaction score
Visit site
On the Isle of Man

Compulsory basic training 'test' (which I think is very hard to fail) before you can get your leg over. Certificate lasts 2-3 years.

Learners license
Nothing over 125cc and I think there is a bhp restriction as well. My last bike was a Aprillia RS and had to be restricted by disconnecting the power valve.
Can't ride over 50mph and no passengers, night riding is fine though.

Full licence
Written test before you can take a practical test, once you've passed both you can have whatever cc you want but have to ride on R plates for 1 year. Which means you can't ride over 50mph and I think you can't take passengers either but anything else is fine.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Florida:
You take the MSF course at your own expense.

Then you take proof of completion of the MSF course, a birth certificate, two forms of ID, and two forms of proof of residency to the tax collector with the license fee. And then you have your full license.

Under 21 is required to have a helmet and they get a special license plate. It's yellow and says "UNDER 21" on the bottom. Basically it just means that if you're over 21 the cops just shake their fist at you when you blow by at 100mph+, and if you're running a yellow plate, they'll chase you down. The numbers on that plate are enormous, so it's much easier for them to get a plate number and meet you at your house. My over 21 plate has about 1.5" tall numbers. I can't read them from the end of my driveway.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maine:

There are two options:

One: Take the two-day MSF course and, if you pass, come out at the end of the day with your license.

Two:
-Step 1: Acquire a permit by taking a day long course and written test.

-Step 2: After passing the permit test you can apply for the DMV riding test. Which IMHO is the most asinine and rediculous test ever conceived. Unlike most states where you simply ride in the cone course to prove that you can handle and are competent on your motorcycle, in Maine, you are taken on an arbitrary road course though the city/town where the DMV is located. I stress arbitrary because it up to the discretion of the DMV worker following you in their car to which route you take. They honk once for left turns, twice for right turns, and a long, steady honk if they want you to stop. So, not only do you have to try to keep an eye out for other cars/bikes/pedestrians in an unfamiliar surrounding, but you also have to keep track of the car behind you for which direction you have to go. Thew most ridiculous thing I have ever done!

:)

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
some of y'all's states are crazy. i think it's pretty simple here in north carolina.

1 and 2a/2b in no particular order

1 - written test at DMV. if done first this gives you your learners permit. restrictions are no passengers and you can't leave the state. to the best of my knowledge you don't have a waiting period before taking your road test.

2a - take the road test through DMV. i've heard this can be taken on a scooter. if doing 2a i believe you have to do 1 first but they can be done back to back.

2b - take the three day basic rider course through MSF. this waves the road test from DMV. most take their completion card to DMV, take the written (learners) test at DMV and walk out with their endorsement. i got my learners, then took the BRC and went to DMV and handed them the two cards to get my license.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something funny about California (and other states it sounds like). There is no requirement to get your license after you get a permit. As long as you're okay with the permit restrictions you can ride any bike you want, legally, indefinitely, without formal instruction.

I rode off and on from '95 till I got the FZ in 2008 without ever getting my license. The permits expire after a year, so every year I would go down and renew my permit, and go on my way. Sometimes I'd forget for a couple of years, but kept riding anyway. It wasn't until I got the FZ that I got serious and took the time to take a MSF course and get my license. In fact I even rode the FZ to the MSF course, just to learn how to ride on their Nighthawk 250!

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
In Florida, a Motorcycle Safety Training course is now MANDATORY, there is no test to do at the DMV, you do the course, either a 3day or 2day loaded class, wait a day, go to the DMV and turn in you MSF completion card and get your license.

250USD for the course and 30 for the license

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Western Australia

Written test
Practical test
Limited to 250cc capacity motorbike for 12 months, without a "shadow".
You can ride bigger than 250cc capacity, if you get a permit, have a "shadow" ride with you always and have an L plate on your bike. I took this option - sold my CBF250 as soon as I passed my test and bought my FZ6 :rockon:
If you're caught on a larger bike without your shadow, L plate and permit, you can lose your licence and have the bike impounded (extreme case)
After 12 months on your 250cc licence, you sit another practical test.

Voila!

You are a licenced rider with plenty of experience on the road :D

Last edited:

Mike100

Reaction score
Visit site
In Ontario Canada, it is a three part process.

Step 1 (M1)Written Safety test- similar to auto, but with a motorcycle section. Allows you to ride during daylight hours, zero alcohol and not on 100kph highways(with some more remote area exceptions). Must be an M1 for 3 months(two with MST). Move to M2 with practical test.

Step 2 M2, Allowed to ride any time, no highway restrictions but still zero alcohol. Must have M2 for 22 mos(18mos with MST course) but not more than 5 years. Them take road course exam to move to full M

Step three- Full M, no restrictions other than basic traffic laws.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here is a real gem. I was working out in Alabama last year and that is where I got my FZ6, but I bought it from a dealer and needed to get my endorsement first.... I have been riding the previous 8 years w/o it, I know I know!!!!! :spank:

In the great state of Alabama, all you need to do is go and take the written test and you get your endorsement...... No lie and the thought of that scares me, but I can say that I had a few miles under my belt so I am not some newbie with a bike and no understanding. :shakehead:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the Isle of Man

Compulsory basic training 'test' (which I think is very hard to fail) before you can get your leg over. Certificate lasts 2-3 years.

Learners license
Nothing over 125cc and I think there is a bhp restriction as well. My last bike was a Aprillia RS and had to be restricted by disconnecting the power valve.
Can't ride over 50mph and no passengers, night riding is fine though.

Full licence
Written test before you can take a practical test, once you've passed both you can have whatever cc you want but have to ride on R plates for 1 year. Which means you can't ride over 50mph and I think you can't take passengers either but anything else is fine.

Don't you have to lap the island within a certain time as well? :spank:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In Victoria, Australia:aus:, At 17 you can sit for a M/bike "L" permit but you have to have a car "L" permit first. The car permit lasts years, the bike permit 15 months then you would have to sit it again.
The test consists of a two day riding program on a closed track, turning leaning, slow riding , emergency stops, pass that and a written test, put on your "L's" and away you go.
before the L time elapses sit another practical riding exam and then you are on a Probationary permit for three years , first on a red p plate then two years on a green p plate. Learners and P plate licences are all on Lams approved bikes, could be up to a 600 but restricted. Full licence at the three year point is automatic and you can ride what you can afford.
the only difference is someone like me that has been driving for 30 years had to do all the learner tests and display the L plate, but once I got the licence, I could ride with out any P plate but had restrictions like 0 BAC and no pillions and still on a 250 or Lams approved bike. At 12 months moved onto full licence, so 0.5 BAC :beer:is the standard limit, can take the good lady out for a spin and now I am the happy proud owner of my FZ6n:D

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Changed a lot hasn't it .When I got my licence back in Tassie all I had to do was apply for a learners permit,pay the fee and ride away......no test.
To get my licence I just went to the police station and say I wanted the bike test,the officer would watch me ride up the road,do a U turn and park at the police station. Pay the fee and done,just restricted to a 250 for 12 months..................mind you,that was nearly 30 years ago ,lol

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
there's quite a few different ways in the uk, this is how I got mine:

I'm over 21 (27 when I did this), and have held a a full car licence for several years

1) Ensure you have provisional motorcycle entitlement on your driving licence (this entitles you to proceed to step 2)

2) Pay about £100-120 for a CBT (compulsory basic training), this consists of a day of mixed practical and theoretical lessons. Teaching you the very basics of the highway code, motorcycle control, and how not to die basically. It finishes with 2 horus of on-road riding, usually on urban roads. Most people sit this on a 125cc bike, but some schools let you sit it on a larger machine if you are over 21, and are going to do DAS. I pulled a wheelie by accident on my 125, so wouldn't have liked to do that on a 500!

Since I have a car licence I could also ride a 50cc moped with no L-plates. The cbt allows you to ride any 125cc bike restricted to about 13bhp provided you are 17 or over, and display L-plates.

3) DAS training, there's no minimum, but most people need about 4 days of training. Lessons cost about £150/day. I did about 2 days training on a 125 until the instructor was happy to put me on a CB500. Normally 1 or 2 pupils per instructor, and it's all on the public road, apart from the mod 1 training.

4) Theory test, (£31?), this consists of 50 questions about the highway code, and a hazard perception test, were you click the screen if you see a hazard.

5) Mod 1 test, £15 (+ bike rental fee from your school adds another £75), this is an off-road practical test. You have to walk your bike backwards from one spot to another. Perform 2 figure of 8's, a U-turn (7.5m wide i think), emergency stop, swerve test, slow ride (walking pace). You're allowed 5 minor mistakes, putting yoru foot down etc is a major and an instant fail. Forgetting observations is a minor.

6) mod 2 test, £75 + bike rental fee again, this is an on road ride with an examiner following you in a car or on a bike, it lasts about 25mins. When I did it they had a number of prescribed test routes that each centre would use. My examiner only knew 3, and 2 of them had heavy traffic, so we all ended up using the same one that day (and had also practiced it in the morning luckily!)

7) Assuming you pass all that you are free to ride. There's various time restrictions on each test, a pass only lasts for 2 years, so you have 2 years from passing your theory to pass your mod 1 and mod 2, or you have to sit them again.

Note mod 1 and mod 2 must be sat on a bike capable of 46.6bhp or more in order to get an unrestricted licence. Any lower up to a minimum of 125cc and you will get a restricted licence, which only allows you a bike of up to 33bhp for 2 years, after which you are unrestricted. You need to be over 21 to sit the unrestricted licence, and to train on anything larger than a 125cc bike. You need to be over 17 to get a bike licence, but at 16 you can get a 50cc moped.

The new european guidlines are even more complicated, with more types of licence, power to weight restrictions, more age restrictions, and a longer wait to getting a full licence

Last edited: