What is the license procedure where you live?

Metallicblue

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems really easy in USA to drive motorcycle.

Here in Sweden you have to take a lot of driving lessons, plus two practical tests and one theoretical test before you are allowed to drive on public roads.
All in all it is extremely expensive and time consuming, and that scares a lot of people away from motorcycles.
This is because we have free healthcare that is free for everyone, and taxpayers don't want to pay for idiots driving motorcycles getting hurt or handicapped.
It's kind of a project to get a license, but when you got it you are extremely happy.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
New York:
1) DMV take Motorcycle permit test. 20 questions multiple choice. Thing is 15 are off of the car test and 5 are motorcycle specific. You pay for motorcycle permit and that includes the fee for your road test. You have 2 chances to pass the permit test and is good for 2 years. 2 chances to pass the road test, but have to be on different days.

2) Road Test at DMV
or
3) Basic Rider MSF Course (pass waives DMV road test)

90% of NY, I'm sure NYC and LI are different.

I am 25 and have had my motorcycle license since I was 16 so not sure if things have changed.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
In California, it's pretty simple:

a) Pass a written test to get your permit. You're allowed to ride, but no passengers, night, or highway riding. Here's a sample test

b) Pass a 2-day MSF course to get your license. If you're over 21, the course is not mandatory, you can take your bike to the DMV and pass a riding test to get your license.

Right done the test and i passed first time!! Does this mean i can have a californian licence now ?? (Boy it's a bit easy though) :BLAA:

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Passed my test in the UK a long time ago. It was nowhere as complicated as it is now.
At 17 I passed my car test that allowed me to ride upto 125cc or was 250cc :confused:indefinitely with L plates.I then took my bike test about 3 months later, all I had to do was ride around the block a few times and the examiner would pop up at different points to watch you. At some point he would hold up his hand and you did an emergency stop. Than it was back to the test centre car park for 5 questions about the highway code.

I think the UK test now is far too complicated and expensive, a lot of riding schools have gone to the wall as far less people can be bothered to try and get there bike licence now:(.

Last edited:

ManxMann

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't you have to lap the island within a certain time as well? :spank:

I hope not, I've been riding for 6 years and never had a lap! <Insert ban smilie, can't do it on my phone>

Just thought I should add to my first post.

The compulsory basic training is started in a closed car park, riding around cones etc. then out on the open road for a minimum of an hour or until the instructor is happy your safe.

The practical test is around an hour long riding on open roads and you have to complete some basic skills like u turns, hill starts, emergency stop (strangely not covered in the basic training) etc. three minor mistakes or one major and you fail.

If you are feeling lucky you can go straight from the basic training to the written and practical tests with no other instruction but most people don't.

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
To amplify 08FZ6 on New York:

a. Age has restrictions for license, or even taking the licensing test.

b. All new motorcycle endorsements have a six-month probationary period. Speeding and Reckless driving has you re-starting from batter box.

c. Had a 30 year break in riding. Had overseas licenses, and three different USA state licenses. When riding again in NYS had to start from scratch for motorcycle endorsement at 55+ years old. The NY road test is given by Nazi's who love *Gotcha's* during the controlled circles and figure eights. Gamesmanship!!!!

I learned to pick the test location carefully. Some side streets for the controlled maneuvers are less than 20' wide in some towns with pot-holes, crumbled pavement and debris. Other towns the side streets are 30' wide and in good shape.

d. All in all, pretty easy to get licensed in NYS.

e. Weird Item: A learner permit needs a mentor to ride with and must keep the mentor within a 1/4 mile. No idea what the mentor is suppose to do except ID the learner's body after the 18-wheeler runs the poor SOB over.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
In Kentucky:

1) Take written examination, pass and receive permit (can't carry a passenger, must wear a helmet)

2) If over 21, 30 days later may take skills test to obtain license (passing MSF counts for this step). I don't remember how long it is if under 21.

Must wear a helmet until the later of having license for a year or age 21.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
In WV
1. Take your car license to the DMV take an eye exam and a 20(?) question test pay $5 to get your pic taken and you have your MC learners. No passenger.

2a. take your learners and a bike (yours or borrowed, has to be tagged and insured) to the DMV take another eye exam do the road course. pass/pay license renewal fee $15(?) and you get your "F" endorsement ("F"...why not "M"?) No restrictions

2b. Take your learners and $100 to the MSF Beginner Rider Course (BRC) for a 4 day class. 2 days in classroom 2 days on road (parking lot with cones) with a 250cc. At the end of the 2nd day on the course a skills test is given pass it take the BRC card to the DMV pay a license renewal fee and the "F" endorsement is yours. No restrictions

I went with 2b since I had never ridden on the street (just a few dirt bikes before) and knew there would be allot to learn, and i didn't have a bike yet.
(would you let me borrow your bike :eek:)

Salty

Jeff
Reaction score
Visit site
Penn:

1. Take vision and 20 question test to recieve paper permit (good for one year). Must use helmet, no night time riding, stay in state. $20.00

2a. Take DMV road test (no time limit before able to take test)

2b. Take MFS coarse which consists of two nights in a classroom (written test, multiple choice, on second night, 50 questions) two days of riding around cones. FREE, plus a break on insurance!:thumbup:

jeff

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Passed my test in the UK a long time ago. It was nowhere as complicated as it is now.
At 17 I passed my car test that allowed me to ride upto 125cc or was 250cc :confused:indefinitely with L plates.I then took my bike test about 3 months later, all I had to do was ride around the block a few times and the examiner would pop up at different points to watch you. At some point he would hold up his hand and you did an emergency stop. Than it was back to the test centre car park for 5 questions about the highway code.

I think the UK test now is far too complicated and expensive, a lot of riding schools have gone to the wall as far less people can be bothered to try and get there bike licence now:(.

I'm same as you Grouse (keep it quite, did mine on a Suzuki GT 185 ) ;) Not saying what year that'll give my age away lol

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, 30 years ago, in Wisconsin, you took the written test and it was good for 6 months, and you could retake the test as many times as you wished.. Restrictions were that you had to wear a helmet and couldn't ride at night..

The riding test was similar to the ERC course.. Ride it, don't look like a dork, and they gave you a license.. If you took it on a bike under 500ccs you were restricted to 500 and under..

When I took mine I was riding a 1981 Kawi 305CSR, so I swapped bikes with a co-worker and took the test on a Kawi 650.. No restrictions..

I have no idea what's required today, 30 years later..

kyledogg88

Reaction score
Visit site
In the town I live in Tennessee, its a joke!

First you have to go take the written test. Then once you pass that you have to take the driving test... in the PARKING LOT! The person administering the test checks your brake lights, tail lights and turn signals, then tells you to basically drive around the parking lot in a big circle and then park it. You don't even have to get on the road. If you can pass that challenging test, then you get your license. Its a joke.

WIyamirider

Reaction score
Visit site
To expand on what paper said:

In WI:

To get your "M" (motorcycle) endorsement on your drivers license
1) Take the DMV written test. It's a computerized multiple choice test of about 20 questions. The questions were lifted straight from the MSF guidebook, some of the illustrations were even the same.

2) Take the MSF course and submit your waiver, or take the DMV road course.

The steps can be completed in any order (I took the MSF course before the written test). I don't know exactly what the DMV road test involves, but I know it involves being followed by a chase car on the city streets. I've seen it being administered before, and it didn't look too enjoyable.

Once you pass, you have your full motorcycle license. No displacement or time of day restrictions, passengers allowed, and no helmet required (This is the home of Harley Davidson.....). The motorcycle endorsement never expires.

WI did just recently change their temp. permit rules. All the restrictions are the same, but you can only renew your 6 month temp. permit 3 times now. They changed the law the same year that I took the MSF course, so my class was half newbies and half seasoned Harley riders who had run out of renewals.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Virginia has the same requirements as California...looks like most US states are about the same requirements.

There is a restriction here on riding on a permit...you must be accompanied by a licensed rider (on a separate motorcycle).

Also insurance is required on anything over 100 cc's.