What is the primary use of your FZ6?

What is the primary use of your FZ6?

• Pleasure: I ride my FZ6 mostly on weekends and days I'm off work

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Pleasure: I ride my FZ6 mostly for trips over 100 miles

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Pleasure: I ride my FZ6 mostly for bike events, shows, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Commute: I ride my FZ6 to work most of the time and sometimes for pleasure

Votes: 78 46.2%
  • Commute: I ride my FZ6 to work only when the weather is perfect, mostly for pleasure.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Commute: I ride my FZ6 to work all the time because I don't own a cage!

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • 2-Up: I ride my FZ6 when I have a passenger only, otherwise I take my other bike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I was talking with some motorcycle friends about the differences between cruisers and sport/sport touring bikes.

We came up with this generalization:

Sport bikes: Mostly ridden by inexperienced riders for pleasure on the weekends and when the weather is just right. Most sport bike riders are found wearing minimal gear. Many riders are students or work blue collar jobs, the bike was financed or bought used. Most riders ride too fast.

Sport touring/standard bikes: Mostly ridden by moderate and highly experienced riders who wear AGATT, often use the bike to commute to work primarily and some recreational use. Many of these riders have technical educational backgrounds in computers or engineering. Most riders ride with the flow of traffic and are aware of police. It seems that riders who tour on sport touring bikes are hard core, have all the handy gadgets and are prepared for problems they may encounter on the road.

Cruisers: Mostly ridden by low or moderate experienced riders who wear minimal gear, most riders go for image over functionality and safety. Ride slow or too fast, there is no in-between! Cruisers are used primarily for short leisure rides on the weekends or the occasional long touring trip. Very few cruiser riders are prepared for flat tires, broken throttle cables, etc. while on long touring rides.

So, what is the primary use of your FZ6? Are you a squid, touring rider, commuter? A combination? I know the FZ6 is technically a standard motorcycle but I believe some use it as a sport bike, and some as a touring bike.

Last edited:

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
Sport touring/standard bikes: Mostly ridden by moderate and highly experienced riders who wear AGATT

73867e_3853082.jpg

I use my bike for all of the above, it's my only motorised form of transportation. Some days i drive slow, other days i drive fast, sometime i even drive the speeding limit.

What about enduro/adventure-bike riders ?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
No offense to the OP...But holy generalization Batman!!

Derail over; Please resume!;)

As a wise man once said, stereotypes dictate our futures! There are always exceptions to the rule but 9 times out of 10 you can guess the demographic of the driver of a limo tinted Cadillac on 22" chrome wheels or the driver of a 1987 Ford pickup with "Farm Use" tags. Stereotypes. They are founded in truth. :D

Helvete

Reaction score
Visit site
I would commute on mine, but I work away during the week, 100 miles from home. I tend to have to carry a lot for the week, so normally end up in the car. So it's out on my days off.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I commute any day I can - and that sometimes will include a pleasure ride on the way home. And of course if it's nice out on the weekend I'll go for a ride for sure.

There's also a good amount of 2up riding I know I certainly didn't buy the size small helmet for myself. :thumbup:

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
originally bought for commuting but new job and wanting to get healthy :rolleyes: its been promoted to weekend and day off fun all year round and is now being looked after and is known to be clean not mostly mud splattered!

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm entering my 4th winter on the FZ6 commuting to work in Seattle rain or shine with a 60 mile round trip commute 5 days a week :)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Not true. Bought my FZ6 for commuting, fun riding and trips. Rode it to work every day except for ice/snow and lightning. Longest one day distance was 600 miles (bad seat!!!!). Put about 37,000 miles on it.

Bought a 2012 CBR600RR, guess I'm experienced, AGAT, commute to work every day, ride for fun and take trips. Longest one day distance is 600 miles (Sarasota to Birmingham in July). Mods are Heli bars, sport touring windscreen, PR3 tires. Know a lot of folks with sport bikes that AGAT and dont ride squidly.

tamucc2004

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow those are some really broad generalization lol but funny. Even more funny is I bought my last R6 Track/Race bike from a Oil CEO and the FZ I just bought was from a squid that wrecked it wearing no gear lol

I bought it for a long distance bike though. Have a R6 for track go fast bike and have a couple Motards for hooligan/beach/stunt runs. And Im always ATGATT

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You fellas are the exceptions. Generalizations are just that, stereotypical users. 9 out of 10 sport bikes on the street are not wearing leathers and track gear. :thumbup:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't even live in the same country as my bike...

I live and work in the UK, and my bike lives in Belgium my country of origin. I usually go back home (belgium) once a month, or every 6 weeks. I maybe spend a month and a half or two months out of the year back there, so i do as much riding as i can when i can.

It is my first year riding, I bought it in June and have clocked around 3000km since.

I usually only ride for pleasure, usually day long trips, or a least 3 or 4 hours. I wear gear all the time.

You guys have no idea how hard it is to know my bike is waiting for me, all alone, so far away!
Only 12 days left and i go back for 4 days, can't wait!

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look, motorcycles are not categorized by the kind of person that rides them. According to your definitions, a cruiser is a sport bike when it's driven by an idiot on the weekend.

Motorcycles are categorized by various well defined design features.

Having said that, I ride my fz6 for pleasure, both on trips and just around for the heck of it. Sometimes my fz6 is a cruiser, sometimes my fz6 is a sport touring bike. And all this time I thought it was a standard (no matter the time of day).

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I could have written those descriptions. IMO Fits 80% of each group categorized. That's close enough to call accurate

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm entering my 4th winter on the FZ6 commuting to work in Seattle rain or shine with a 60 mile round trip commute 5 days a week :)

That's hard core. As much as it rains in Seattle, kudo's to you. Yeah it gets biterlly cold here in Boise, but doesn't rain that much.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Sport touring/standard bikes: Mostly ridden by moderate and highly experienced riders who wear AGATT, often use the bike to commute to work primarily and some recreational use. Many of these riders have technical educational backgrounds in computers or engineering. Most riders ride with the flow of traffic and are aware of police. It seems that riders who tour on sport touring bikes are hard core, have all the handy gadgets and are prepared for problems they may encounter on the road.

Got me dialed in: AGATT, primarily commute with weekend recreational use, technical type-Electrical Engineering, ride with flow until cager gets too close then squid it until I see a cop (I'm 54, can't get too stupid), and occasional day trip or long weekend with GPS/camping gear.