What is the primary use of your FZ6?

What is the primary use of your FZ6?

• Pleasure: I ride my FZ6 mostly on weekends and days I'm off work

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Pleasure: I ride my FZ6 mostly for trips over 100 miles

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Pleasure: I ride my FZ6 mostly for bike events, shows, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Commute: I ride my FZ6 to work most of the time and sometimes for pleasure

Votes: 78 46.2%
  • Commute: I ride my FZ6 to work only when the weather is perfect, mostly for pleasure.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Commute: I ride my FZ6 to work all the time because I don't own a cage!

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • 2-Up: I ride my FZ6 when I have a passenger only, otherwise I take my other bike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
  • I dont own a car anymore so its always the bike, and that's good!
  • the only workdays I don't ride are when I meet the missus at the pub for one of her work do's and I seem to be the designated driver. I hardly ever drink if I'm riding, (and only a small one if I do at all and at least 45 minutes before I get on the bike) so getting a couple of glasses of red with dinner is a pretty good deal.

• ATGATT, the only time I ride w/out gloves and helmet are out of the garage to the front gate, before the commute to work

• I like to get a ride in on the w/end with Kez on the back or a 1/2 hour run after I wash it,(any excuse) I get about 3 decent day long rides a year, with a mate of mine, to the hills if we can.

• Now my boss just left and the weather is still fine so I might stop typing, go change, and have a ride woohoo

JasonB

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm in Other.

I use the FZ6 for both pleasure (ride outs at the weekend solo or group) as well as using it for commuting to and from places of work.

Prior to me getting the FZ6 I used to travel about 12k+ miles per year in the car only. Nowadays it's more like 3-4k in the car and 4k on the Bike.

Always ATGATT when I'm on the bike, no exceptions.

Work wise, yeah I'm a software developer so fairly technical background, like to tinker and have started doing more of the maintenance on my bike myself rather then taking it to a bike shop.

I ride quickly when conditions allow but not stupidly so and I'm also doing my advanced riding course with the IAM which has improved my confidence, awareness and skill level enormously since I started.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I primarily ride any chance I get, be it track days, commuting, trips to the store, railing some back roads, multi day excursions.:don'tknow:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
No offense to the OP...But holy generalization Batman!!

Derail over; Please resume!;)

+1

I'm not even close to fitting in to any of these. Stereotypes really make me laugh out loud at people especially as I get older. Just happened last night when a guy younger than me on a Beemer pulled up to me (on my Ducati) and said he expected to see a 20 yr old.

BTW, I always thought cruisers were for parades and for riding bar to bar!:confused:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
i use mine for everything, 7th year with the bike being my only form of transport and just how i like it,

I do have car license but prefer the bike.

Use it, rain or shine, snow or sun.

Then come the local bike meet or a weekend ride it becomes my toy.

The summary of the sport tourer category made me laugh, sums me up!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

I'm not even close to fitting in to any of these. Stereotypes really make me laugh out loud at people especially as I get older. Just happened last night when a guy younger than me on a Beemer pulled up to me (on my Ducati) and said he expected to see a 20 yr old.

BTW, I always thought cruisers were for parades and for riding bar to bar!:confused:

What's especially silly about stereotypes is that some are positive and some are negative, and you can use either kind with the same justification.

No one else thought it was weird that the OP defined types of riders instead of types of bikes, and then put those definitions to a bike? Is this the kind of thing that only bothers a math student?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i usually do end up riding at least 100 miles at a time when i go for pleasure rides, but i ride the FZ whenever i can really. if the weather's stupid ill take the car. but i like to go for rides and end up eating some food, or taking weekend trips 300-500mi (1-way) plus hitting the twisties wherever i go.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
What's especially silly about stereotypes is that some are positive and some are negative, and you can use either kind with the same justification.

No one else thought it was weird that the OP defined types of riders instead of types of bikes, and then put those definitions to a bike? Is this the kind of thing that only bothers a math student?

Types of bikes attract a certain type of rider. The best analogy I can think of is cars. Import econo-sporty cars attract (mostly) young people, Crossovers & SUV's attract mostly women and couples with kids. Lincoln town cars attract mostly the elderly and thug wannabes. These stereotypes exist because they are often the case. Same with the type of rider usually found riding a certain type of bike.

+1

Did you just put down stereotypes and then finish by stereotyping cruiser riders? :spank::D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like you say you came up with some generalisations, Maybe its a local thing where your from but my experience of cruiser riders is very different, and I will tell you why.
Most of the cruiser guys I know are older guys than the sports bike crowd but they have been there and done that. They opt for torque over top end as they like to go places not necessarily at warp speed. The riding position and spread of power allows for a more relaxed ride as their days of riding with sore backs, butts and wrists are no longer requied.
The guys that inspired me to ride as a child in the 70's all swore that they wouldn't be seen dead on a Harley but it just seems to be the natural progression.

I forgot to say that I have a car but ride the bike daily for work and pleasure, I actually consider my daily commute as not really commuting but having a blast before I have to get all serious.
Nelly

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to say that I have a car but ride the bike daily for work and pleasure, I actually consider my daily commute as not really commuting but having a blast before I have to get all serious.
Nelly

I agree. its the bit i look forward to before work and the bit i look forward to when i leave work. sometimes i wished i lived further away from work so i could have a longer ride

250lemans

Reaction score
Visit site
please include the multiple personality biker, aka motorcyclist enthusiast in there, that guy/gal that owns all of the above, plus a race-track bike, plus an older bike that is going to be finished "soon", plus anything with 2 wheels and a back up trackbike

Last edited:

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Although there are always those that don't fit into stereotypes, stereotypes are founded in truth as someone earlier said. I think it also depends though on where you're riding, when i was in utah and arizona I saw an innumerable amount of "badass" harley riders wearing no helmets, even no shirts and just shorts or jeans. my 74 yr old motorcycle mechanic and friend/tour master calls them ass jewelry, and seeing how those guys rode and what they were wearing clearly was all about their image. Granted, they were alot cooler (heat wise) than us considering it was about 110* and we were in full gear. ANYWAYS, I use my FZ6 for every type of riding. its my only motorized form of transportation, so I use it to commute and run errands etc, occasional two-up riding, as much back road sport riding as i can, and also take it on week long tours of 1000+ miles. SO i may ride anywhere from 10 miles a day to 500+. I love it for all types of riding. I'm not "experienced" as in i have only been riding (real motorcycles) for a few years, but i've put about 15k on my bike but I feel like I am very naturally a good rider. I've been a bmxer, skateboarder, ridden dirtbikes/quads etc and driven fast cars etc and tend to have an inherent capability for learning quickly. While i may act like a squid sometimes I simply ride for enjoyment and never push my luck. I ride fast (our bikes seem to like going fast) but am aware of my surroundings always and haven't been pulled over yet knock on wood... Sometimes i can't help but harp on the throttle just to hear the sound of the airbox and scorpion exhaust, I just love the sound of bikes, esp the burbling on decel...mmm mm

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Types of bikes attract a certain type of rider. The best analogy I can think of is cars. Import econo-sporty cars attract (mostly) young people, Crossovers & SUV's attract mostly women and couples with kids. Lincoln town cars attract mostly the elderly and thug wannabes. These stereotypes exist because they are often the case. Same with the type of rider usually found riding a certain type of bike.

Did you just put down stereotypes and then finish by stereotyping cruiser riders? :spank::D

Nope, just a little sarcasm. :thumbup:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Saying that most people that ride sport bikes are squids is different from saying that a sport bike is defined as a bike ridden by a squid. Under this definition, if a squid rides a Harley, then the Harley is a sport bike. All I'm saying is that this doesn't make sense to me.

I think what you meant is that most people who ride sport bikes are squids, and so on.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my VStar cruiser a few years back, I bought full gear for me at the same time, including a full face helmet. While I may have fit the stereotype for the bike (grey hair w/grey beard), the ATTGAT made me stand out. But when I traded it for my FZ6 a few months back, I fit right in. At least 'till I removed my helmet.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I can only afford one bike so the FZ6 has to fit many roles. I have a car, but rarely use it when the bike is a viable option.

Commute by bike every day that it's not raining, and some days that it is.

Tour with it a fair bit. Just came back from a 2k mile trip over four days to Deals Gap and area a week ago.

Hit up the twisty roads (whatever we have in Ontario, and anywhere I tour to) any chance I get.

My FZ6 has even been known to go on the occasional dirt trail.

So far this year, I've put on about 10k miles on the FZ6 (riding season started mid May), and about 3k miles on the car.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
This was a hard pole for me to answer. I could answer atleast 3 of the categories. I ride for pleasure on the weekend, I ride for long rides sometimes (3-4 days 800+ miles), and I ride to work when the weather and my schedule permits.

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my bike this year because I wanted a little excitement. I go to work, go to school, go home and start it all over the next day. Same as most people. But I was getting bord and grumpy.

I find that use my bike for it all. Commuting, pleasure, therapy, and yes occasional risk taking. Is what it is. I'm addicted to twisty's, and meeting up with fellow riders for a get together. 95 percent of the time I where all the gear I own.