Where is my ground?

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking into buying a new headlight and I can't seem to find where the ground is.

Currently there's two wires going from the high beam and two wires going from the low beam.

I've attached a picture

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking into buying a new headlight and I can't seem to find where the ground is.

Currently there's two wires going from the high beam and two wires going from the low beam.

I've attached a picture

Solid black is always the ground on 12VDC systems. The colored wire or wire with a stripe is always +12VDC

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some cars use brown as a ground but color codes on wires, regardless can carry data signals or 5vdc TTL or any number of variables. Color codes can vary per manufacturer, model and circuit application. Color code should be identified by schematic to be sure.

In the case of the FZ6 Black is your ground.

Black with a green tracer is the positive 12vdc low beam.
Black with a yellow tracer is the positive 12 vdc high beam.
Black is the ground.

Also, please read this...http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=605269&postcount=5

Last edited:

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
Some cars use brown as a ground but color codes on wires, regardless can carry data signals or 5vdc TTL or any number of variables. Color codes can vary per manufacturer, model and circuit application. Color code should be identified by schematic to be sure.

In the case of the FZ6 Black is your ground.

Black with a green tracer is the positive 12vdc low beam.
Black with a yellow tracer is the positive 12 vdc high beam.
Black is the ground.

Also, please read this...http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=605269&postcount=5

I just read the post and I assume that the wire which turns off the low beam when the high beam is activated hasn't been wired because the light does get pretty hot.
I bought the bike like this and it works so I just assumed that it was fine.
I'll search and see if I can find a guide or tutorial on how to run that wire. If you happen to know of such a thread you think you could enlighten me?

Thanks

Edit:
I guess the buell mod goes through this in the tutorials, correct me if I'm wrong.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I just read the post and I assume that the wire which turns off the low beam when the high beam is activated hasn't been wired because the light does get pretty hot.
I bought the bike like this and it works so I just assumed that it was fine.
I'll search and see if I can find a guide or tutorial on how to run that wire. If you happen to know of such a thread you think you could enlighten me?

Thanks

Edit:
I guess the buell mod goes through this in the tutorials, correct me if I'm wrong.
In general halogen bulbs like the ones used in our bike do run hot. I mean after all, they dissipate something like 35-55 watts over a pretty small surface area.

The wire that Motogiro is talking about does not come on the bike from the factory. So unless the previous owner made the necessary connection, it won't be present. The good news is that there is a very good two-part guide about how to fix this problem on this very forum! [emoji3]

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
In general halogen bulbs like the ones used in our bike do run hot. I mean after all, they dissipate something like 35-55 watts over a pretty small surface area.

The wire that Motogiro is talking about does not come on the bike from the factory. So unless the previous owner made the necessary connection, it won't be present. The good news is that there is a very good two-part guide about how to fix this problem on this very forum! [emoji3]

Would that be the buell mod thread?
Tbh I'm not really sure what to search for.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Would that be the buell mod thread?
Tbh I'm not really sure what to search for.

On your bike it looks like there are 2 separate individual lamps being powered.

This means you can run the lower lamp as a low beam and the upper lamp as a high beam and since they are separate there wouldn't be a problem. You wouldn't need a modification.

Your fairing looks like it could be what I've seen as a type that uses a running light in the lower lamp and a halogen in the upper lamp. The upper lamp may be a single filament H7 halogen. If this is the case with your headlight assembly the lower lamp would put out very low light and no where enough lumen to use as a low beam.

If you change your headlight assembly and you're going to use incandescent halogens you'll probably use H4 dual filament for hi and lo beam application. You might have a dual headlamp set up or a single headlamp assembly. When using the H4 dual filament for hi/lo beam, the lo beam filament must be switched off when the high beam filament is turned on. The stock FZ6 with the fairing has 2 lamps. One side is the lo beam and the other is the hi beam. Separate lamps so they don't need special switching. The hi beam lamp is OEM wired for only one of it's 2 filaments and the low beam filament in that lamp is not used. So a stock FZ6 used one H7 lamp as it's low beam hence the stock FZ6 always looked like it had one light out. Then the mods came to light low beam filament so that the FZ6 had both side lit. Although the hi beam reflector was not designed for a lo beam filament active in the H4 lamp, it did give more useable light and was better for oncoming visibility. The way it needed to be done was it had to be wired to shut off when the hi beam filament was on so it wouldn't overheat. This is how H4 lamps are used in most all lo/hi beam applications or they would burn out very quickly. :eek:
bd43 makes a wire kit to do this especially for the FZ6. I used to make a universal relay kit to do this that would work on any bike that had the same set-up but I don't make them anymore.
I would get the kit from bd43. Well worth the bucks and it's all figured out for you. :)
[MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION]

Last edited:

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you're right about the headlight, it's two different lights in there and one of them gets pretty hot. I assume it's just poor build quality.

I really appreciate the time you've taken to help me. I'll be looking into getting that kit from bd43. I just hope they're still available as it seems most mods that people use to make on this forum aren't made anymore, thinking of the tach mount and KN's clutch mod.

On your bike it looks like there are 2 separate individual lamps being powered.

This means you can run the lower lamp as a low beam and the upper lamp as a high beam and since they are separate there wouldn't be a problem. You wouldn't need a modification.

Your fairing looks like it could be what I've seen as a type that uses a running light in the lower lamp and a halogen in the upper lamp. The upper lamp may be a single filament H7 halogen. If this is the case with your headlight assembly the lower lamp would put out very low light and no where enough lumen to use as a low beam.

If you change your headlight assembly and you're going to use incandescent halogens you'll probably use H4 dual filament for hi and lo beam application. You might have a dual headlamp set up or a single headlamp assembly. When using the H4 dual filament for hi/lo beam, the lo beam filament must be switched off when the high beam filament is turned on. The stock FZ6 with the fairing has 2 lamps. One side is the lo beam and the other is the hi beam. Separate lamps so they don't need special switching. The hi beam lamp is OEM wired for only one of it's 2 filaments and the low beam filament in that lamp is not used. So a stock FZ6 used one H7 lamp as it's low beam hence the stock FZ6 always looked like it had one light out. Then the mods came to light low beam filament so that the FZ6 had both side lit. Although the hi beam reflector was not designed for a lo beam filament active in the H4 lamp, it did give more useable light and was better for oncoming visibility. The way it needed to be done was it had to be wired to shut off when the hi beam filament was on so it wouldn't overheat. This is how H4 lamps are used in most all lo/hi beam applications or they would burn out very quickly. :eek:
bd43 makes a wire kit to do this especially for the FZ6. I used to make a universal relay kit to do this that would work on any bike that had the same set-up but I don't make them anymore.
I would get the kit from bd43. Well worth the bucks and it's all figured out for you. :)
[MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you're right about the headlight, it's two different lights in there and one of them gets pretty hot. I assume it's just poor build quality.

I really appreciate the time you've taken to help me. I'll be looking into getting that kit from bd43. I just hope they're still available as it seems most mods that people use to make on this forum aren't made anymore, thinking of the tach mount and KN's clutch mod.
If you have a problem getting it resolved give me a yell. :)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a problem getting it resolved give me a yell. :)

I sent [MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION] a message and I read the two threads pertaining to the mod.
Seems simple enough except for the part where the wire connects to the headlight in this picture
inU2G0o.jpg

Since my headlight is aftermarket I don't think I have this connector(?)

I think I told you that the goal is to replace the current one with a round single headlight. Where would I attach that end of the wire if I don't have that connector?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I sent [MENTION=458]bd43[/MENTION] a message and I read the two threads pertaining to the mod.
Seems simple enough except for the part where the wire connects to the headlight in this picture
inU2G0o.jpg

Since my headlight is aftermarket I don't think I have this connector(?)

I think I told you that the goal is to replace the current one with a round single headlight. Where would I attach that end of the wire if I don't have that connector?
That is a 3 pin H4 connector. It is commonly available at most any automotive parts supply store. It's a standard plug to fit H4 type lamps. If you need the actual spade connectors that are on the wire and snap into that plug, I have some. :)

Last edited:

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a 3 pin H4 connector. It is commonly available at most any automotive parts supply store. It's a standard plug to fit H4 type lamps. If you need the actual spade connectors that are on the wire and snap into that plug, I have some. [emoji14]:)

So those two wires are just ground and positive coming from the low beam?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So those two wires are just ground and positive coming from the low beam?
That picture you posted looks like my hand and maybe from some documentation on a headlight mod that I did in the very beginning on another member's bike. There is a black wire, there is a black wire with yellow tracer which is the high beam positive wire and an additional green wire which was added for the low beam that green wire comes from the modified circuit that properly switches off the low beam when the high beam is activated.

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
That picture you posted looks like my hand and maybe from some documentation on a headlight mod that I did in the very beginning on another member's bike. There is a black wire, there is a black wire with yellow tracer which is the high beam positive wire and an additional green wire which was added for the low beam that green wire comes from the modified circuit that properly switches off the low beam when the high beam is activated.

Yeah I got that picture from one of the bd43 mod threads.

Say I have a single headlight installed and the bd43 mod installed like in the picture. Would those two wires be the only wires leading to the headlight?

Sorry about being a bit slow on the subject, I just want to make sure that I fully grasp this and wont screw it up when I finally get around to doing it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I got that picture from one of the bd43 mod threads.

Say I have a single headlight installed and the bd43 mod installed like in the picture. Would those two wires be the only wires leading to the headlight?

Sorry about being a bit slow on the subject, I just want to make sure that I fully grasp this and wont screw it up when I finally get around to doing it.
Yes, it's pretty simple. Just those 3 wires. We all learn great stuff from each other. That's why this forum is so great!:)