Where to stay in NYC?

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

My family and I decided to spend our winter vacation in the US. We are going to NY for 7 days in January. Now, I am looking for a hotel on Manhattan. I found many good offers, and, to be honest, I am a little bit confused. The fact is I have no idea what district to choose. It seems to me that I have to choose either Midtown or Financial District, but I am not sure.
On one hand, in Midtown we will be close to Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Time Square, ESB. All of them will be within walking distance. On the other hand, Financial District allows me to be close to ferry to Liberty Island, Brooklyn Bridge, and so on. I will be with my 3 year old daughter, that's why it would be great not to spend a lot of time in subway. At the same time, it would be great to live in an "authentic" place (scyscarpers and so on).
Could you give me some advice concerning district?

Thanks in advance.

ErikNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to say stay in mid-town Manhattan. It's much more vibrant during the day and at night for the two of you and the little one. You can easily take a yellow cab to the ferry and back. However walking over to Central Park, Times Square etc seems like is a better option and easier on the feet. You will be steps away from the action.

I will talk to my lady about it this evening and provide you more input. My lady lives and breaths Manhattan, so I will get her input.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
TWO tears back we were in Chinatown but for two adults, subway travel and lots of walking was fine
Next time we ll stay around Soho or on the west side. We like being where folks live not in swanky hotels to get a feel for the city / town

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've stayed in about 20 different hotels in Manhattan, I still like the Marriott Marquis the best. Most of the rooms in New York are very small, and the rooms at the Marriott were normal to larger than average. Plus you can't beat the location, right in the theater district and times square.

Of course it also depends on your budget. Be careful, not only are the rates high, but also the tax rate, well over 20%

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to say stay in mid-town Manhattan. It's much more vibrant during the day and at night for the two of you and the little one. You can easily take a yellow cab to the ferry and back. However walking over to Central Park, Times Square etc seems like is a better option and easier on the feet. You will be steps away from the action.

I will talk to my lady about it this evening and provide you more input. My lady lives and breaths Manhattan, so I will get her input.

This makes sense. I will be looking for a hotel in Midtown.

You know, I found a hotel next to "57st/7av" subway station. It seems to me that this line ("Q" I guess) is not very comfortable to get to different places in the city. However, there are lines "A" and "F" within walking distance, which are better to get to other places without changing lines. What would you say, whether I should pay attention to such things or it does not matter?

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I've stayed in about 20 different hotels in Manhattan, I still like the Marriott Marquis the best. Most of the rooms in New York are very small, and the rooms at the Marriott were normal to larger than average. Plus you can't beat the location, right in the theater district and times square.

Of course it also depends on your budget. Be careful, not only are the rates high, but also the tax rate, well over 20%

Marriot Marquis looks awesome, thanks. Location is great too.
Concerning taxes, you are right. It's crazy. I constantly have to keep this in mind. I am accustomed that "price" means an exact amount I should pay. NY is another story))))

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Regardless where you stay, taking the subway is very convenient. But to be honest, I enjoyed walking. You can take it all in by walking, you see and experience much more by doing so. Unless you go farther south like the village or even Wall Street, geographically, Manhattan is very easy to navigate and you can remember it in your head. It's pretty much cut and dry, the Avenues run North and South, and the Street east and west, there's only so much, it's an island. I think I still remember were the Garden is, 34th and 8th?

If you're really looking to save money, consider staying in New Jersey, such as Secacus (spelling?), or Hoboken can save you a lot of money. The tax rate is half of what it is in NY and you can still get into the city easily by taking NJ Transit or the ferry. But In my opinion, everyone should experience staying in the city for at least one night.

About the Marriot Marquis, it's # 1 in my books, but there are also a lot of hotels next or near it. Rennaisance, Embassy Suites, Crown Plaza, Sofitel, are just some that I have stayed or I recalled that they were there at the time, but it could have changed hands. Remember, if you choose a non-brand named hotel or a boutique hotel, expect very tiny rooms. Search Trip Advisor as a guide if you happen to narrow down a property.

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you, guys

You really helped me. I booked a hotel in the theater district. It seems I got lucky: perfect location + big room + 2 double beds + little kitchen + very reasonable price + the hotel didn't charge full amount right away.

VEGASRIDER, Thanks a lot for your advice. I like walking too, however I will be using the subway, because my daughter definetely is not ready for long walking trips))) By the way, I spent about 4 hours, studying the question "how to use NY subway". It turned out to be a little bit complicated. Thank god I found an article of a former NY policeman who served in the subway, and he wrote the article "the idiot's guide to the subway", very useful article. It seems to me that I know everything about the subway)))

Thank you again, guys. I knew that I can always count on you))))