Where's everyone gone?

botty

Reaction score
Visit site
New rider from Bradford here

Passed by Theory two weeks ago and mod1 last week.

Mod2 booked for Tuesday 18th February and here's hoping ill be on my fz6 the following weekend!

I got a fanstastic deal on the bike i couldnt turn down. However, its spurred me on to get it all done!

hope you do well then maybe we could meet have a ride to squires I live in Shipley

dave

botty

Reaction score
Visit site
Another point for yorkshire! just been lurking for a while not posted in forever and was absent for about 6 months. Getting back into the swing of things now everythings settled and I've new job so money to put into hobbies again.

Squires is a good cafe, looking forward to their easter egg run (see you there :thumbup:) and hopefully have the bike naked by then! Hunting last few bits n pieces before it gets done in one go over a weekend!

what bits are you after then

dave

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a lot of that going around. The plan WAS, pass my test in October, spend the winter looking at bikes and make an informed decision.

Bought my 56 plate naked in September, with only 9800 mile on the clock for £2k, just to pile the pressure on a bit more for the tests like!

Good luck mate, the fz6 is a top notch bike to get to grips with. What bikes are you using at "bike school"?

Using a Kawasaki ER6. Like i mentioned passed all tests first time so far and confident Ill pass mod2 on Tuesday!

I got a good deal on the bike hence took the plunge and decided to snap it up.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
Sheffield here!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

New rider at the beginning of this year absolutely loving my first bike! (FZ6 S2 faired) Currently waiting for dry days for commuting to the city centre and taking my advanced with the Rotherham IAM, riding Lincolnshire/Peak District every Sat :)

Ps. I'll be on the Sheffield egg run if anyone else is coming along :)

Last edited:

botty

Reaction score
Visit site
:Sport::Sport::Sport:
yes definatley - when did you pass mod2 and which test centre did you do it at

Any hints and tips you can offer?

I have had my licence a good number of years now infact I got mine before I
drove a car and I now drive hgv as well the only tips I can give is to be
sensible not go heavy handed and most of all be confident and you will be ok.

dave ( botty ):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
good luck for your test mate fingers crossed! I went the wrong way on indipendant riding and still passed somehow! as for conersion. not sure what else id need ive got some speed triple headlights bracket and screen so far. mirrors to purchase next pay day

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site

Unless its a dry straight then open her up and feeeeel those power bands Blah

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site

A very experianced rider then!

I do feel confident as ive had a car licence for about 17 years but guess it all depends on the 40 or so minutes of riding on the day

FZ6AH

08 Yamaha fz6 s2 Newbie!
Reaction score
Visit site
good luck for your test mate fingers crossed! I went the wrong way on indipendant riding and still passed somehow! as for conersion. not sure what else id need ive got some speed triple headlights bracket and screen so far. mirrors to purchase next pay day

Thanks - they do say its better to go the wrong way then to try and correct oneself and cause a hard to other road users! Guess its easier said then done at that moment in time!

botty

Reaction score
Visit site
:mikebike::mikebike::scared:
Hope you guys have got the bikes strapped down! Looks a tad windy t'up north :)

hi its allas wiiiiiiiiindey upt north its part of the fun of riding when you see us leaning its not becauce we are going round corners its wiiind trying to blow us over. ha ha ha

botty
:mikebike:::Sport::Sport::Sport:mikebike:

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
that was my instructors attitude as me and the lad with me both passed he said the ride back we were going to ride like proper bikers and to keep up!!

It's the only way to be safe by being confident in yours and the bikes ability IMO. That's why I love this IAM course, you get marked down for riding too slow! (obviously within the limit) and for not overtaking/filtering. My riding is on a completely different level now as they re-teach everything you learnt in the test (a lot are ex Police riders) - Like riding closer to the centre line in the road where as my original instructors taught me to ride to the left of dead centre. :thumbup:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
- Like riding closer to the centre line in the road where as my original instructors taught me to ride to the left of dead centre. :thumbup:

See, I find that weird. I started off on a 125 scooter this time last year, just as a stop gap while we got settled back down up here (we were both in the process of leaving the Navy, and I went first. She was pregnant at the time, and so obviously had dibs on the car). I found, especially on the small bike, that if you don't take up a position that says, "oy, nob end, I'm here, I have every right to be, this bit of road is mine" then car drivers won't even twitch the wheel to go past you. And even if you're riding at (or slightly above, cough cough, officer) the limit, even on a big bike, they seem to think its an in invitation to squeeze past, regardless of oncoming traffic and how much you're attached to the skin on your right elbow.

So when I got to "Big Bike School" in October (having seen how much more fun it is on two wheels, even two 10" Chinese ones! Lol), there I was in the right hand wheel rut, owning my little bit of the road, while the instructor behind me, and the couple of other students were all off to the left. I even got a minor for it on my Mod2. Don't get me wrong, on a straight, empty road, with a car behind me obviously wanting to overtake, I'll slide over to give them a better view and more space to manoeuvre, but for general riding, your position needs to scream, "there are many roads, I'm on this one, and this bit is mine" IMHO.

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
found that alot whilst commuting, one road inparticular it was a 30mph limit but with poor markings and wide/ long enough to be a 40, only reason it was 30 because there was a school and a park. If you didnt stick in the middle tootling on at 35, because the police liked to catch people on there speeding, then people would try nudge you over because they felt you weren't going fast enough.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
So when I got to "Big Bike School" in October (having seen how much more fun it is on two wheels, even two 10" Chinese ones! Lol), there I was in the right hand wheel rut, owning my little bit of the road, while the instructor behind me, and the couple of other students were all off to the left. I even got a minor for it on my Mod2. Don't get me wrong, on a straight, empty road, with a car behind me obviously wanting to overtake, I'll slide over to give them a better view and more space to manoeuvre, but for general riding, your position needs to scream, "there are many roads, I'm on this one, and this bit is mine" IMHO.

Totally relate to most of that - These guys(the ex Police) refer to it as 'Wheel 1' which is essentially where the driver is in the car (or theoretical car) in front - Idea being that the driver can see you in his mirror easier than in 'Wheel 2' (passenger seat). You've obviously got to be mindful as we all know, the other interesting thing for me is cornering, I used to cut corners like you would on the track. Completely wrong for safety on the road, you have to keep the outside apex of any bend then cut as you see the exit - brings into the question your counter steering technique the more you do it... who ever thought riding a bike was easy Blah