Which one would you buy?

Melchizel

Reaction score
Visit site
I just started riding about 2 months ago. My first bike is a 2006 FZ6. I haven't ridden any else, but I have to say, I LOVE MY BIKE! It is comfortable and also very easy to maneuver. Plus like calirider said, you get some extra money to buy some gear and if needed tires. Good luck with your choice!

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Went by a few dealerships after work. There just aren't any FZ6's on the floor. Sat on an FZ1 again and really gave it a once over. What a gorgeous bike. I looked at everything else in the store, and nothing interested me like the FZ1. Leaning.....

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
From your description of your use the all rounder FZ6 sounds like the most suited to your needs. But that being said there is alot more to a bike than simply doing what you 'need'! Looks, colour, features, price, insurance, running costs, etc all come into it.

All the reviews say the FZ1 is an amazing powerhouse. Infact in this regard I've heard alot of comments that its pretty hard to beat.

The SV..... personally don't like them for many reasons. With the price difference definately not really worth considering unless the FZ6 is badly damaged and in need of major repairs. The FZ6 is the better bike according to every review I've seen of the 600 bracket hands down. Although again some people will always have their own personal preferences or specific uses for their bike.

Keeping in mind you haven't riden for a long while on the road here are a few things to consider.
-The FZ6 is 2,000$ cheaper
-The FZ6 will be cheaper to insure
-The FZ6 will easily break any speed limit (and probably double it), so unless your a 'large' rider or very performance orientated (or suicidal) then the FZ1 might not be necesary
-The FZ6 is renowned for being a great tourer/commuter and great for a pillion (not sure if thats a worry)
-The FZ6 running costs will be lower.
-If you don't have really good gear, you need it make sure you take that into account when buying your bike. Buying a bike and a helmet and then not worrying about the rest is a great way to permanently imprint your body with the message "Jeez I wish I had bought good protective gear" and unless your planning on calling them war wounds you probably won't get much sympathy. Getting compr. insurance is generally a good idea too :p

I don't have a FZ1 so I can't really list the advantages other than the better power and a few better features. It definately is a good bike from all reports, but the two bikes are very different.

Its probably best you actually ride them all, and see what you like. The minute I rode a FZ6 I knew it was my next bike. If I was ever to upgrade it wouldn't be to a FZ1 just because its a step up. I'd try all the available choices and see which was best (and hope its a Yamaha!)

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
I think everybody said what I'm going to say as well...
If the FZ6 was a 2007 I think it will be your best bet. With that said: I had a LTZ 400 quad for 2 years before I felt the same as you. Getting to spots to ride when I could ride everyday. I had a 2008 FZ6 for 6 months, had to part from her and will 'soon' get me a bike again. The FZ6 is absolutely marvelous. The torque thing is over rated. Remember there is a extra beast that comes out at 8000rmp and that's is why <8000 get busted - only by those that don't know the FZ6, there is plenty <8000. The Jackyl & Hyde bike for sure.

FZ1 is my favorite only because I will do allot of pillion long rides (and it is FZ6+4) - AND BECAUSE I CAN :spank:

But I'll make up my mind when the money is true.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
I think everybody said what I'm going to say as well...
If the FZ6 was a 2007 I think it will be your best bet. With that said: I had a LTZ 400 quad for 2 years before I felt the same as you. Getting to spots to ride when I could ride everyday. I had a 2008 FZ6 for 6 months, had to part from her and will 'soon' get me a bike again. The FZ6 is absolutely marvelous. The torque thing is over rated. Remember there is a extra beast that comes out at 8000rmp and that's is why <8000 get busted - only by those that don't know the FZ6, there is plenty <8000. The Jackyl & Hyde bike for sure.

FZ1 is my favorite only because I will do allot of pillion long rides (and it is FZ6+4) - AND BECAUSE I CAN :spank:

But I'll make up my mind when the money is true.

So, is the 2007 that much better than the 2006?

makrominas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man,

If you feel "rasty" go for the SV650. You have spotted the risk with FZ1, but there's a greater danger with the FZ6 if you dare underestimate the bike! The acceleration is linear (no major jumps/launches) but pretty fast. The engine also seems silent, until you push for the higher RPM range. It's all a bit misleading I guess-there's a lot of torque, acceleration and speed to handle.

kaz

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar choice about 2 months ago. I had the option between a 2006 and 08 fz6. Price was about 2K different. 06 had 800 miles and the 08 had 2500. I went with the 06. I have not regretted it at all. I use mine for commuting back and forth around town. There is plenty of power if you need it. Ive put on about 1600 miles in the past 2 months. Great bike and saving the money will allow me to do somethings with the bike when I am ready. Good Luck in your search.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 :spank:

It's not like you never ridden a bike, so starting with a sixhundred because you're not sure you can handle the power ... not necessary imho.
It's not the horsepower you have to fear, it's the jackass whos on top ... :thumbup:

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar choice about 2 months ago. I had the option between a 2006 and 08 fz6. Price was about 2K different. 06 had 800 miles and the 08 had 2500. I went with the 06. I have not regretted it at all. I use mine for commuting back and forth around town. There is plenty of power if you need it. Ive put on about 1600 miles in the past 2 months. Great bike and saving the money will allow me to do somethings with the bike when I am ready. Good Luck in your search.

Thanks! I have a similar situation. There is an 08 in my area for about $2k more. Same mileage, but has Scorpion exhausts. Considering that I could get a stock FZ1 for around the same price, I haven't considered it.

I glad to hear that you are happy with your choice. I'm getting to the point that a moped is starting to be appealing.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks! I have a similar situation. There is an 08 in my area for about $2k more. Same mileage, but has Scorpion exhausts. Considering that I could get a stock FZ1 for around the same price, I haven't considered it.

I glad to hear that you are happy with your choice. I'm getting to the point that a moped is starting to be appealing.

I'll also toss in that you should not be terribly concerned about the FZ1 being too much for you..... if you are a current dirt rider. That experience is far more valuable when you start talking about higher HP bikes. Wheel spin, high acceleration -- you probably already have a pretty good handle on that. You won't go there by accident. You should already know what happens and how to counter it if necessary.

The FZ1 may not have as much bottom end as other liter bikes; it has more than either the SV or the FZ, tho. Liter bikes are generally easier to ride at slow speeds due to the wider nature of their 'off peak' power bands. You should be alble to 'tractor around' a bit easier on the FZ1, than the other two... probably just a bit easier than the SV, with a whole boat load more top end.

As another poster said, it's not the bike. It's the operator.:D

AIrey1507

Reaction score
Visit site
So, is the 2007 that much better than the 2006?

It's better, but I think all the 2007+ riders would be just as happy on a 2006 if the 07+ model changes never occured. A non-issue in my book, but it's easy enough to upgrade to 4-pot brakes and install a Power Commander (for even better tuning than the 07+ anyways).

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
It's better, but I think all the 2007+ riders would be just as happy on a 2006 if the 07+ model changes never occured. A non-issue in my book, but it's easy enough to upgrade to 4-pot brakes and install a Power Commander (for even better tuning than the 07+ anyways).
I agree you'll be happy with pre 2007 as well, the FZ6 is just great. I only said 2007+ because there were upgrades and the 2007+ prices would be better by now. I had the 2008 S2. There are members here that will be able to give you much more information on the differences than I could.
Here are some as well, but you have probably see these already.
Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

andreigbs

Reaction score
Visit site
You are in the same place I was about 6 months ago: keep my SV650S or trade-up for a FZ6 or FZ1? Thoughts on each:

SV650S: put about 2500 miles on a 2007 model. Great torque off the line, low rpm operation doesn't get you all wound up. Brakes are great, suspension is so-so, handling was pretty great in the twisties even with stock tires. Fuel economy was brilliant, somewhere close to the 60s. Didn't really like the slightly less (than an FZ6) wide rear tire, but it turn in better. Really hated the numbing of my wrists after about 30 minutes of riding and the discomfort in my lower back. So, riding along one day I stopped at my dealer and...

FZ6: saw 10 of them out there, just sitting. Were being sold for LESS than what I paid for the SV. Asked to take a ride on one, guy throws me the key. Start it up and all I feel is sssssmoooooooooth, unlike the v-twin rumble. Nice... put it in first, CLUNK, and ease off. Stalled it once but not again, and finally got going down the road. After riding on the SV already about 45 minutes, the FZ6 was my new chiropractor. The seating position and angle of the handlbars made it feel so, so, SO comfortable it was like swallowing 2 Advils 15 minutes ago. Almost forgot to double check speed, look down and see 75 MPH on a 45 rural one-lane highway, SLOW DOWN to legal speeds in one second, it seemed like, and try thinking of reasons NOT to trade up. One by one, they faded: insurance would be cheaper than a SV, better financing thru Yamaha, 2 more cylinders and a buttery smooth engine, a seat designed for rider AND pillion in mind (not great, but good) compared to the cardboard seat on the SV... no comparison. Fuel economy is low 50s MPG average, and that's usually upshifting around 6-8K rpms. SV650S red-lines around 8.5K, must be crazy to always shift there.

FZ1: was afraid to sit on it even, due to the size and weight of the thing. Plus I didn't like the bazooka tube exhaust nor the 35 MPG rating. I could probably squeeze 40s out of it, but the range is still quite modest, well under 200 miles per tank. Insurance would be higher, running costs higher, higher risk of accidently twisting throttle in a turn going over a bump and getting kicked off and the required heft to move it around the garage or balance it at low speeds (parking lots, etc.)

If I had to choose again, I'd still get the FZ6. Hands down, the best bike I've ever had. If I could afford it, I'd go for the BMW F800ST. But that's another discussion entirely... hope this helps.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Check that the SV650 model you are looking at has a fuel gauge. I have a friend who has one that doesn't have a fuel gauge. I wouldn't buy a bike without a fuel guage - who wants to run out of fuel on the interstate, so so drastically limit your range that you are sure not to?

SV650S (faired) has much more sportbike ergos than the SV650 (non-faired), which has somewhat more sportbike ergos than the FZ6. FZ6 will be more comfortable.

When I looked at the FZ6 and SV650 (my top two contenders) I found owners on this forum a lot more universally happy than on the SV650 forum.

I personally like the look of the SV650 more, though. ALSO: SV650 comes with ABS in the US, FZ6 doesn't (Yamaha thinks American riders aren't that concerned about safety?..). I probably wouldn't buy a bike at this point that didn't have ABS. It is a signficant and proven safety feature. No way to upgrade that either. That might be the single biggest factor between those two, if the SV650 you are looking at comes with that option.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
its not like if you find yoruself in a sticky situation that the FZ6 is going to take 30 seconds to find any sort of acceleration. being in a fuel efficient gear while commuting I can pull on the throttle and still pull on all the cars around me.
Having a controlled low-end is a plus to me... It keeps me out of trouble with the law, the pavement during bad conditions (im still very new to throttle control) and my gas budget. And if im in the twisties and want to leave my 2 main riding buddies in the dust (one has an SV650 and the other a Vstrom650) then all I have to do is use my left foot and make them stand still

Saying the FZ6 needs to be screaming at 12,000rpm to pass traffic is like saying all the downlow torque of the SV is going to make you do unwanted wheelies all the time.
Plus, the exhaust on the SV while just commuting is going to be way more obnoxious than an FZ6 winding through a gear.

Once I got over the stereotype that an inline 4 cant be driven during rush hour, I realized the FZ6 was the top contender in my book.
cheaper, gas gauge, centerstand and much faster... ABS what?

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
You are in the same place I was about 6 months ago: keep my SV650S or trade-up for a FZ6 or FZ1? Thoughts on each:

SV650S: put about 2500 miles on a 2007 model. Great torque off the line, low rpm operation doesn't get you all wound up. Brakes are great, suspension is so-so, handling was pretty great in the twisties even with stock tires. Fuel economy was brilliant, somewhere close to the 60s. Didn't really like the slightly less (than an FZ6) wide rear tire, but it turn in better. Really hated the numbing of my wrists after about 30 minutes of riding and the discomfort in my lower back. So, riding along one day I stopped at my dealer and...

FZ6: saw 10 of them out there, just sitting. Were being sold for LESS than what I paid for the SV. Asked to take a ride on one, guy throws me the key. Start it up and all I feel is sssssmoooooooooth, unlike the v-twin rumble. Nice... put it in first, CLUNK, and ease off. Stalled it once but not again, and finally got going down the road. After riding on the SV already about 45 minutes, the FZ6 was my new chiropractor. The seating position and angle of the handlbars made it feel so, so, SO comfortable it was like swallowing 2 Advils 15 minutes ago. Almost forgot to double check speed, look down and see 75 MPH on a 45 rural one-lane highway, SLOW DOWN to legal speeds in one second, it seemed like, and try thinking of reasons NOT to trade up. One by one, they faded: insurance would be cheaper than a SV, better financing thru Yamaha, 2 more cylinders and a buttery smooth engine, a seat designed for rider AND pillion in mind (not great, but good) compared to the cardboard seat on the SV... no comparison. Fuel economy is low 50s MPG average, and that's usually upshifting around 6-8K rpms. SV650S red-lines around 8.5K, must be crazy to always shift there.

FZ1: was afraid to sit on it even, due to the size and weight of the thing. Plus I didn't like the bazooka tube exhaust nor the 35 MPG rating. I could probably squeeze 40s out of it, but the range is still quite modest, well under 200 miles per tank. Insurance would be higher, running costs higher, higher risk of accidently twisting throttle in a turn going over a bump and getting kicked off and the required heft to move it around the garage or balance it at low speeds (parking lots, etc.)

If I had to choose again, I'd still get the FZ6. Hands down, the best bike I've ever had. If I could afford it, I'd go for the BMW F800ST. But that's another discussion entirely... hope this helps.

What an awesome write up! Thanks man. Sounds like we are cut from the same cloth.

I just went over and looked at the FZ1. Very clean. As you indicated, the size again was a little indimidating (and I'm 6'3" 250). He would only take $5800. I was hoping to get him down into the low five range but he wouldn't bite. I'm heading over to look at the FZ6 right now. I'll keep you posted.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it looks like I will soon be the owner of an FZ6! Basically agreed in terms. Will wrap things up next week unless the owner of the FZ1 reconsiders over the weekend.

The bike is going to need one hell of a bath. He has never cleaned it and it's dirty to the core (my dirt bikes are 10 times cleaner!). Will need a new battery and is due for new fluids. Has a few more miles on it than I thought. About 12K. Other than that, everything looked good. All things considered, $3000. That will give me some cash for some quality riding gear and maybe a mod or two (I really like the sound of the scorpion exhausts).

Thanks to everyone for your input!

andreigbs

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the impending purchase! :Flash: You'll love the FZ6 in a matter of days. Good thing the fuel gauge issue was brought up: the SV650 really needs it even with the good fuel economy. I hated just seeing that "low fuel" light come on, kinda had to do the math in my head for how many miles I have left on a tank BEFORE that light comes one. The FZ6 has a gauge that progressively shows you your fuel and once you get close to empty, it starts to count how many miles you've been running on "reserve". Makes it easy to get 200+ mile tanks, unless you're always running and gunning.

X2 for the center-stand: chain-cleaning and lubing is SO MUCH EASIER if you have one.

12K miles only? What year was this, a 2006? Mine has 4,3K miles in only 6 months of riding, and i don't even ride DAILY. Consider it low mileage, change the oil when you get it, opt for the slightly bigger (and cheaper than OEM) oil filter from either Bosch (3323) or the M1-110, pour in 3 quarts of your favorite oil and see what she runs like.

Here's a link to the maintenance schedule: https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewschedule.aspx?ls=sport&yr=2008&lid=2&mid=619 it's for the 2008 but yours should be the same. Note that at 8K miles it should've had the spark plugs replaced. If they haven't been, here's the link to the parts you'll need, along with other service info: https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewservicespec.aspx?ls=sport&yr=2008&lid=2&mid=819 and finally, an owner's manual if it doesn't come with one anymore: https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewmanual.aspx?ls=sport&yr=2008&lid=2&mid=1458

Once again, enjoy and welcome! You've made the right choice and gotten a great bike at a great price. :thumbup: