Which windscreen do I need?

fmscott2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for a different windscreen for my 2007. I'm 6', maybe an inch taller with boots and helmet on. I do mostly commuting but go out for country rides on the weekends and occasional highway trips for the day. Below highway speeds the stock screen is fine. But once I approach 65mph the noise and buffeting on my chest/head get bad. The noise is less of an issue because earplugs help a bit, and maybe my helmet is just noisy (Shoei Qwest, is it known to be noisy?). The bobble-heading and pressure on my chest are the main issues. I would go on longer rides and tour the bike but this problem has prevented me from wanting to get on the highways for extended periods.

Which aftermarket screen do I need? Looks are somewhat important to me, I don't want a massive Harley-like sail on the front of my bike. I've considered something removable like the MRA X-Screen but I don't know how much difference it would make. I like the look of the Puig Touring screen (not DB). Please help!

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I am the same size as you, and also have a 2007. It had the Puig racing (I think) on it when I got the bike, so cannot compare to the stock screen. This screen is basically as tall as the mirrors if that helps. I think the touring model would be taller.

This screen provides a much smoother/less buffeting ride than the aftermarket screen I had on my 2004, with less pressure, etc. I think it is at least partially due to the open section at the bottom of the screen. I think that relieves some backpressure from the air streaming over the top of the screen.

I commute primarily on mine and this is working good for me so far. I would be interested at some point in trying out something slightly taller for longer rides.
Tom

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I can say that the Puig racing (or double-bubble) is an improvement (in comfort and style), but for the serious touring type, I would consider something else. Longest trips I've taken are 90 miles down to the shore.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been through many screens on many bikes.

Here are my findings:

1. No screen at all:
The good: cleanest air hitting chest/shoulders/head. Very little noise.
The bad: get cold much faster in cold weather. Get tired quicker at highway speeds.

2. Stock screen:
The good: it comes with the bike LOL. It's clear, so you can hide behind it and see through it. Provides OK protection from wind, in terms of staying warm.
The bad: Typically causes a lot of buffeting and good amount of noise. Tends to direct a lot of air to shoulders, causing them to move side to side under buffeting.

3. Tall/touring screen:
The good: provides good wind protection, which helps a great deal for longer highway rides and when the temps are low (keeps you warmer). Keeps more wind off your shoulders compared to stock and blocks all of the wind off your chest.
The bad: most noisey choice, as the wind is directed to the helmet. Ear plugs are an absolute must with this one. If you use them properly, noise should not be an issue. Too hot when temps are high, as most of the air flow is directed away from the body.

No single option is *perfect*, so it's really a matter of preference and picking a setup which suits your riding style. For me, touring screen is best, most of the time. I only switch to stock screen for really hot weather and I also have a very short (cut down) screen for hot days + country roads (as in.. minimal high speed riding).

I've got a FZ1 at the moment, but felt the same way when I had FZ6.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the bike with a DB dark scree. It is like a cuple of inches taller than stock. Not sure if it conciders as touring, but I feel the same wind on shoulders and helmet, plus the noisse. And I'm 5"7
Wouldnt like a too tal screen either. Was concidering a lip, but dont like how it looks on screen. Maybe the MRA x-screen adjustible "spoiler" will help, but have not lots of trust in it too. Since our dash is low comparing to full tourers, or even a Vstrom, that will be an issue, I guss.

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting

FZ-6 '07-10' : 440D - SCREEN BLADE

I like idea of additional blades on sides. With puig (racing I think) I'm getting some buffeting on sides so that might help with that.

That sir, looks pretty decent at wind blockage, if you get this please report on it?

+1 this Thread - I'm 6'4" so I understand the wind buffeting at speed, this and slightly lowered pegs are up my alley..

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
This Puig Touring is what I have on one of my FZ6's It is an improvement over my 'racing' Puig on my other FZ6, but it is still a little noisy. I'm 6' also. If I crouch just a little it is better. I do have Suburban drop bars too. I still want to try something else as it only needs to be a couple inches taller. Maybe I will install a Laminar Lip as I have one I tried on my stock screen.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a puig screen that came with the bike along with the stock screen. Not sure if its puig touring or racing. If I remember tonight I will take a picture comparing the two.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the MRA touring screen. Looks great and very functional. It's nice to be able to lower/raise it as needed (like going from HWY to City). I also have a very large Cee Bailey's I use in the winter. Swapping screens is a breeze on these bikes.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
motojoe122, how is that any different than just getting the MRA X-Creen for use with my stock screen?

I don't think it's any different. It's about better deal, really. I know Joe got a very good deal on his (bought it lightly used from a friend).

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
motojoe122, how is that any different than just getting the MRA X-Creen for use with my stock screen?
Like Erci said, I got a really good deal on it thru a forum member/co-worker. Other than that, the screen itself is the same as stock. The wing is pricey by itself,( clamp on or bolt on) for a tad more you get the screen too. I think Twisted Throttle has the best price I've seen so far.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i used a tall givi screen for years and found there are a lot of downsides to it (aerodynamics and performance) but its great if you only ride in a straight line
the best is the stock screen and a snug fitting helmet to eliminate buffeting completely