Why the FZ6 hate in bike media?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Good call. I stick by my original comment. The fz6 and other "boring" 600cc sport standards will be the bikes still on the road in 2030.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
With next years bikes all being paraded around and wafted over by scantily dressed tarts, there seems to have been a lot of comparison between the new Yamy offerings and older bikes. That comparison being generally along the lines of, "These will capture the imagination like the FZ6 totally failed to do." I've seen this in MCN, Ride and Bike.

Now I appreciate I only got my licence a month ago and this is my first bike, but I can't help thinking that anyone who outright slates the FZ6 either hasn't ridden one, or even seen one. I'm yet to find something it won't do. And it certainly looks the part, especially the 'N' model.

What am I missing?

they are probably referring to the FZ6R. since the FZ line (all of it) is hailed as the best line of used bikes on the market by plenty of people. also, with the exception of a few "professionals" here who are to sophisticated for the jerky throttle response, everybody seems to love the FZ.

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (2004-current) - Yamaha Motorcycle Reviews

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 was a great foundation it lacked the suspension upgrades and the go fast motor of the R6 if they would not have used bargain basement parts and did a real street fighter version of the R6 it would have been oh so much better!

When you look at it the half fairing was dated looking the suspension is lack luster the more refined powerband was not that refined the 04-06 swingarm sucked!

Look at the triumph street triple r its got more power better brakes and suspension even the fz8 had more grunt and better suspension in the later yrs and better looking!

Yamaha could have done a whole lot better with the FZ6 still a awesome wonderful bike capable of doing so much but lacking in the performance sections!

Thats my honest review after 30+k miles on a FZ6 and another 30-40k miles of riding experience on lots of other various styles of bikes!

its not an R6, its not supposed to be. its supposed to be slower, with cheaper more plush suspension? why would yamaha build 2 of the same bike model? why does everybody seem to miss this point on "standards".

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
With next years bikes all being paraded around and wafted over by scantily dressed tarts, there seems to have been a lot of comparison between the new Yamy offerings and older bikes. That comparison being generally along the lines of, "These will capture the imagination like the FZ6 totally failed to do." I've seen this in MCN, Ride and Bike.

Now I appreciate I only got my licence a month ago and this is my first bike, but I can't help thinking that anyone who outright slates the FZ6 either hasn't ridden one, or even seen one. I'm yet to find something it won't do. And it certainly looks the part, especially the 'N' model.

What am I missing?

here's what you are missing and it becomes evident the more you talk to people who dont ride "standard" motorcycles or those who feel the need to mod the crap out of a bike, with complete disregard for the purpose on the basis of performance (not because they want "bike __" and want to make it their own):

most editors are either predominantly Supersport guys or Ironbutts. they either ride lots of track days and attack the canyons, or do long rides/rallies (also some twisty stuff). but they aren't the types that ride this kind of bike. more exotic bikes like the Speed Triple or Ducati Monster, while in the same class of bike, are still more performance oriented and less "all-round" bikes.

Many people miss the point that this bike is not meant to compete with the R6. it is supposed to be less sophisticated than the R6, with lesser suspension and power figures. i dont find that i NEED to rev into the stratosphere on the bike, sure its fun on the country roads when nobody's around, but its not necessary for the majority of the time. all the money people spend trying to make the FZ6 into an R6 or whatever it is they are trying to match, could be used to buy an R6 usually as a spare bike for the track or something. or if you just have to have the power and suspension but need some comfort get and FZ1.....

But the real bottom line is:

THERE IS NO PERFECT BIKE

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
After my fazer was stolen I bought the gsxr. You have no idea how much I miss her. Even when I bought the crotch rocket I just felt.... Is that it,... It could have been the age of the gsxr, I just missed my way faster blue.... I will own an fz1 or an r1. But don't get it twisted. Even though the gsxr forum keeps sending me emails about how they "miss me" this is my first family. And (even you Neal you condescending *******.) won't make me move :)

This is my very first forum, my very first bike. Il never forget what that bike taught me. The first time I pulled into my uncles driveway to brag and I forgot to put the kickstand down. To the time I leaned it over at 90+mphto even waxing a ws6 on the free way just for ****s and giggles. This bike was amazing, and I will never, ever, forget it.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
And (even you Neal you condescending *******.)

Typical, after you fire off you mouth telling someone you don't know, have never even seen ride before. what bike can or can not buy with their own money. You call someone else condescending.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that in the USA bikes are bought for their image and most likely that article was written about the USDM motorcycle market.

We all ride FZ6's because we wanted a solid, all-around bike that was superbly reliable, functional and a great bargain. FZ6 owners tend to actually ride their bikes as a means of transportation :thumbup:

+1 ^ BIG time..

I've been riding almost 40 years on the street. Bikes include a 2001 HD Wideglide, 2000 ZRX, 04 FJR, 04 Goldwing, Yamaha 1980 XS650,1975 Yamaha RD360, numerous KLR's, etc (approx 200,000 street miles in my life, including riding a police bike for about a year and a half)

Have had up to 3 bikes in the garage at some times.

I originally bought my FZ6 wrecked from a friend as a beater, as my 2005 KLR 250 was going to need new crank bearings (at every 32,000 miles-it was getting old having to rebuild the engine that often).

I've since rebuilt the FZ, fell in love with it and sold ALL the others. Its one of the most versatile, dependable bikes/engines EVER BUILT (I'm a Yamaha guy anyway).

Not to brag, but I can easily afford to buy any bike out there (the new FJR in red looks hot!) but choose my used FZ6 as its the best ALL AROUND bike IMHO out there.

Great mileage, great HP to weight ratio, very comfotable, can be docile (in low RPM's) or a screamer (esecially with open Scorps) depending on your right wrist, super easy on tires/parts compared to the bigger bikes, and considerably easier to maintain being semi naked (especially compared to the FJR and other larger faster bikes).

Its a no brainer for for me... :thumbup:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We're getting into the whole "who's fault was it?" thing again. In many multi-vehicle crashes involving bikes, it's not the rider's fault. This may help with insurance, but wouldn't you rather not be in a crash at all?

Drivers will continue to ignore you, merge into you, text while driving.. do all sorts of things which will be their fault. It's your job to anticipate all of it and not let it affect you in traffic.

Picking apart any incident involving a motorcyclist: my 1st question is always this: what could a rider have done to have avoided the crash? There isn't always a simple answer and sometimes it does seem like there's just about no way to get out of it, but much of the time, it's the rider's fault for not identifying the factor early enough.. not anticipating what the factor can lead to .. and not doing anything about it.

Now.. all of the above is much easier said than done and no one is perfect, but we have to try our best every time we get on 2 wheels.

I have to agree, that why it could / probably was the cages fault (in this incident) for the initial crash, BUT if your going to survive on a bike (and even in your own cage), you need to ride as if your INVISABLE (DEFENSIVE DRIVING).

IE, ride ALWAYS looking for an out (of a potential bad situation), stay out of blind spots of cages, be aware of grease in the middle of a roadway, on corners, the possibility of sand near the edge of the roadway, don't lean and power up on any PAINTED roadway lines, etc...

A lot of this comes with experiance, reading and APPLYING these tips, can only help with your survival.

Bottom line, RIDE SAFE:thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Typical, after you fire off you mouth telling someone you don't know, have never even seen ride before. what bike can or can not buy with their own money. You call someone else condescending.

Typical Neal response, doesn't know what comment came from whom just blindly rambling on Bout nothing. If you use your eyes and read what I put and not what someone else put, you wouldn't look like an idiot either :) just sayin.

Never said anything about what bike he has? Just asked if he has taken courses.

Last edited:

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Typical Neal response, doesn't know what comment came from whom just blindly rambling on Bout nothing. If you use your eyes and read what I put and not what someone else put, you wouldn't look like an idiot either :) just sayin.

Never said anything about what bike he has? Just asked if he has taken courses.

Like always ten steps ahead of you.

Maybe, if you actually read the comments for yourself you would realize you gave you support to someone who did.

Your new vocab word for the day is: Implicit.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Meh, the original topic made sense but got all sideways based on an off-topic comment. I'm guity of it too. My image-rider / moped stabs could have just as easily derailed the conversation train.

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Man I feel better. When I was looking for a bike after riding my brothers 250, there was a canary yellow ninja 600 sitting right next to the fazer. I chose the fazer not even really knowing what it was.

The fz6r deserves a bad rap. It was a major step backwards if you ask me. If they hadn't introduced the fz8 around the same time it would have been terrible lol. I remember reading all the specs for the 6r and thinking why would they make something brand new that sucks lol.

"Assuming" my favorite part.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
C'mon! You guys know who you are! Keep it frosty!

Love,
Dad Lol!

I'm serious! Don't make me come up in there! Lol! :)
bam%2Bbam%2Bbigelow%2B45%2Bcocaine.jpg

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^ BIG time..

I've been riding almost 40 years on the street. Bikes include a 2001 HD Wideglide, 2000 ZRX, 04 FJR, 04 Goldwing, Yamaha 1980 XS650,1975 Yamaha RD360, numerous KLR's, etc (approx 200,000 street miles in my life, including riding a police bike for about a year and a half)

Have had up to 3 bikes in the garage at some times.

I originally bought my FZ6 wrecked from a friend as a beater, as my 2005 KLR 250 was going to need new crank bearings (at every 32,000 miles-it was getting old having to rebuild the engine that often).

I've since rebuilt the FZ, fell in love with it and sold ALL the others. Its one of the most versatile, dependable bikes/engines EVER BUILT (I'm a Yamaha guy anyway).

Not to brag, but I can easily afford to buy any bike out there (the new FJR in red looks hot!) but choose my used FZ6 as its the best ALL AROUND bike IMHO out there.

Great mileage, great HP to weight ratio, very comfotable, can be docile (in low RPM's) or a screamer (esecially with open Scorps) depending on your right wrist, super easy on tires/parts compared to the bigger bikes, and considerably easier to maintain being semi naked (especially compared to the FJR and other larger faster bikes).

Its a no brainer for for me... :thumbup:

Been looking for a good excuse to go for a long ride for a while. I might head your way maybe since I'm bored out of my mind to go up and down I-95. I'll let you know... I will take the new girl out of course! :rockon: