Why the FZ6 hate in bike media?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that in the USA bikes are bought for their image and most likely that article was written about the USDM motorcycle market.

We all ride FZ6's because we wanted a solid, all-around bike that was superbly reliable, functional and a great bargain. FZ6 owners tend to actually ride their bikes as a means of transportation :thumbup:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
The quote I remember reading was "These will capture the imagination like the FZ[="Red"]8[/COLOR] totally failed to do."

That's the quote I remember as well which is why they discontinued the FZ8, at least here in the States. Not sure about across the pond. I have never gotten anything except compliments about my bike and already have a few people lined up wanting to buy it when I finally upgrade to the FZ9.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Safe is riding with in the capabilities of the vehicle you are riding/driving

That's definitely part of the equation, but is it the entire equation? What are some other parts, if any? In the case of "getting cut off", did the rider crash because he was on a Ninja 300 and not on FZ6?

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the quote I remember as well which is why they discontinued the FZ8, at least here in the States. Not sure about across the pond. I have never gotten anything except compliments about my bike and already have a few people lined up wanting to buy it when I finally upgrade to the FZ9.

Motojoe and I were stopped on the side of the road (he was on his FZ6 and I was on my FZ1), at Bear Mountain. Some hikers walked by and HIS bike was the one that got all the compliments! :thumbup:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't buy the "I was cut off" story but I will buy a traffic incident that was beyond the riders control / ability to handle. The long and short of it is simple - when you choose to ride you have to be alert to your surroundings 100% of the time. Counting on someone, who just woke up and is putting on makeup in the visor mirror while sipping coffee, not to hit you is delusional at best. It's always a risk to go out in traffic, on foot or in a tank. Think about how stupid you were at 16 with a permit and the 4,000 lb cruise missile you were driving.

I don't believe in the loud pipes, flashy headlights, neon helmets & vests, chrome, etc.... Safety is in the preparation and 90% of motorcycle preparation is mental. The other 10% is ATGATT. I used to ride a chromed out cruiser with pipes you could hear blocks away and it only led me to a false sense of security. I'd be safer on a 400 hp invisible unicycle today than I ever was on that cruiser and it's all because of the way I now approach safety.

For me, it's just like combat. You can walk down that nastiest streets in Afghanistan or Iraq in relative safety if you are prepared but the careless guy gets run over in the motorpool before he ever gets out the gate.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
They can send me all the hate mail they want. I know they can't run me down because most are too fat to catch anything but a cheeseburger. Another curse of the midwest. There's a Harley in every garage here (probably why they cost as much as a new Corolla) and all the jokers crashing their liter bikes are running up my insurance rates.

The really weird stuff here is the moped mafia. Those goons are EVERYWHERE. No insurance, no license, no sense. 50cc's and they can roll everywhere but the interstate. Saw a kid riding and texting the other day - no helmet, no hands, no gear....45mph.

In a 6 mile stretch of town, I'll see over a dozen mopeds. Some are guys on hard times but most are drunks or kids on stolen wheels. The employee parking at Walmart looks like a moped shop. Even the moped ninjas are trying to look hard nowadays. That's a rant for another day though.

Now now, play nice! We're all "bikers" together! Lol. I started off on a 125 scoot. There's nothing better for learning a little bit of road sense than being the slowest, most vulnerable, most abused road user going! Lol. The difference being even 50cc bikes need training, registration and licensing in the UK. I've never understood that about the US laws: you can be banned from the roads, and yet still ride a small bike.......?

I don't believe in the loud pipes, flashy headlights, neon helmets & vests, chrome, etc.... Safety is in the preparation and 90% of motorcycle preparation is mental. The other 10% is ATGATT. I used to ride a chromed out cruiser with pipes you could hear blocks away and it only led me to a false sense of security. I'd be safer on a 400 hp invisible unicycle today than I ever was on that cruiser and it's all because of the way I now approach safety.

I agree with most of that. But I do think bright helmets, extra lighting, hi-viz vets etc play a significant part in keeping bikers alive. I don't agree with loud pipes as they're generally announcing your presence after you've gone past, and I've never heard of chrome as a safety feature. But you're absolutely correct its mostly in the head. If you don't keep your chin up, your eyes open and your head on a swivel you're knackered. I had two good ones today (that's about average actually) that required two different methods of dealing with them. If I weren't thinking ahead I'd have been jam.

Slightly more on topic. I find that the FZ6 gets loads of compliments. Mine was in the local bike shop for a while and a few have said hi at the petrol pump or in town to say that if I hadn't got it when I did, they would have had it. It's just those few recent comments in the main stream bike media, especially MCN (Motorcycle News), that have said anything other than "great bike". I'm totally confused as to why that would be the "official" answer.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you that our bikes never did well in most road tests. I've been riding since 1956 continuously (well I was in the military) and I figure I have more experience then those testers so it does not bother me too much. Really their bias must affect their judgement. To me it's all about compromises. Not to heavy, fast enough, certainly practical enough, and to me it's stylish and the build quality is 2nd to none. Is it perfect? Of course not. What is? Comes closest for me. 'Different strokes for different folks' as the old Kawasaki ad said.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't buy the "I was cut off" story but I will buy a traffic incident that was beyond the riders control / ability to handle. The long and short of it is simple - when you choose to ride you have to be alert to your surroundings 100% of the time. Counting on someone, who just woke up and is putting on makeup in the visor mirror while sipping coffee, not to hit you is delusional at best. It's always a risk to go out in traffic, on foot or in a tank. Think about how stupid you were at 16 with a permit and the 4,000 lb cruise missile you were driving.

For me, it's just like combat. You can walk down that nastiest streets in Afghanistan or Iraq in relative safety if you are prepared but the careless guy gets run over in the motorpool before he ever gets out the gate.

You just need another PT belt if what it is. Haha :)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Anywho. I like the look of the 6 that's why I have my avatar like it is.

Someone at the gas station once said. "Is dat one of dem ducatis? Sharp looking bike"

Lol

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 was a great foundation it lacked the suspension upgrades and the go fast motor of the R6 if they would not have used bargain basement parts and did a real street fighter version of the R6 it would have been oh so much better!

When you look at it the half fairing was dated looking the suspension is lack luster the more refined powerband was not that refined the 04-06 swingarm sucked!

Look at the triumph street triple r its got more power better brakes and suspension even the fz8 had more grunt and better suspension in the later yrs and better looking!

Yamaha could have done a whole lot better with the FZ6 still a awesome wonderful bike capable of doing so much but lacking in the performance sections!

Thats my honest review after 30+k miles on a FZ6 and another 30-40k miles of riding experience on lots of other various styles of bikes!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I enjoy reading your posts, but I have to protest: There's no way you could know who was at fault in this particular accident, and it is not always the case that in an accident involving a motorcycle it was the motorcycle rider's fault.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
He sounds like someone who cares. Have you taken any safety courses that may have helped you avoid the situation?

Yes, I took the MSF twice. Once to get my license and once to get a friend into riding. The second time I ran through it with my eyes shut. I rode a 250 for a year, got a 650 I rode for anther year, and this summer I picked up the FZ6 because I wanted something smoother with a 4cyl motor.

I ride on the freeway to work as often as the weather permits and in the three years I've been doing it I've been cut off, lucked up the rear brake, lifted the back tire off the ground, ended up stopping 90 degrees to the light because of an oil spill and I've never had an "accident" that cost me anything more than my underwear.

And yes, I've had my bike leaned over, but I do all my riding on the street so I ride with a large safety cushion like you should.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I took the MSF twice. Once to get my license and once to get a friend into riding. The second time I ran through it with my eyes shut. I rode a 250 for a year, got a 650 I rode for anther year, and this summer I picked up the FZ6 because I wanted something smoother with a 4cyl motor.

I ride on the freeway to work as often as the weather permits and in the three years I've been doing it I've been cut off, lucked up the rear brake, lifted the back tire off the ground, ended up stopping 90 degrees to the light because of an oil spill and I've never had an "accident" that cost me anything more than my underwear.

And yes, I've had my bike leaned over, but I do all my riding on the street so I ride with a large safety cushion like you should.

No offense to you, but based on all the close calls you listed, it does not at all sound like you ride with a large safety cushion. It sounds like you ride with a minimal one. Breezing through MSF means nothing. While the riding skills are good (and no, they're not difficult for experienced rider), the part of MSF that will keep you out of trouble and prevent you from all these close calls is the classroom.. if you apply it.

I'm not your mom, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt either. It would be wise to evaluate your riding and try to figure out why you've found yourself in so many rough situations.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I first saw a FZ6, I thought it was a cool looking bike. The rider had it decked out with soft bags on the rear and he was in full gear on a hot summer day in Michigan.

I checked one out back home and when I sat on it, I thought it was a comfortable riding position. The sales guy asked me if I wanted to take it out, but I declined. I hadn't ridden in 20 years.

Took the MSF and found a used FZ6. Did some price haggling, took it for a spin and decided that was the bike for me. I love it. Practical everyday use and plenty of power for my commute.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoy reading your posts, but I have to protest: There's no way you could know who was at fault in this particular accident, and it is not always the case that in an accident involving a motorcycle it was the motorcycle rider's fault.

We're getting into the whole "who's fault was it?" thing again. In many multi-vehicle crashes involving bikes, it's not the rider's fault. This may help with insurance, but wouldn't you rather not be in a crash at all?

Drivers will continue to ignore you, merge into you, text while driving.. do all sorts of things which will be their fault. It's your job to anticipate all of it and not let it affect you in traffic.

Picking apart any incident involving a motorcyclist: my 1st question is always this: what could a rider have done to have avoided the crash? There isn't always a simple answer and sometimes it does seem like there's just about no way to get out of it, but much of the time, it's the rider's fault for not identifying the factor early enough.. not anticipating what the factor can lead to .. and not doing anything about it.

Now.. all of the above is much easier said than done and no one is perfect, but we have to try our best every time we get on 2 wheels.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
No offense to you, but based on all the close calls you listed, it does not at all sound like you ride with a large safety cushion. It sounds like you ride with a minimal one. Breezing through MSF means nothing. While the riding skills are good (and no, they're not difficult for experienced rider), the part of MSF that will keep you out of trouble and prevent you from all these close calls is the classroom.. if you apply it.

I'm not your mom, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt either. It would be wise to evaluate your riding and try to figure out why you've found yourself in so many rough situations.

I've had close calls because I'm riding on I696 and I75, where people don't believe in looking to see if a motorcycle is there. All of my close calls have come from drivers not paying attention.

Does anyone other than you know how to ride? Are you yelling me you've never had a close call? I don't think a few close calls in 3 years of riding is doing anything wrong.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had close calls because I'm riding on I696 and I75, where people don't believe in looking to see if a motorcycle is there. All of my close calls have come from drivers not paying attention.

Does anyone other than you know how to ride? Are you yelling me you've never had a close call? I don't think a few close calls in 3 years of riding is doing anything wrong.

It doesn't matter which roads you ride. The drivers you describe are everywhere. The safer you feel, thinking you're on a road where everyone looks for you, the more likely you are to get into trouble.

Of course I've had close calls. Every time I do have a close call, I have to remind myself that I failed to identify a potential trouble. I don't care how wrong the driver was and what he did.. it was my responsibility to anticipate it and be prepared for it.

The only reason I commented on your original post was because you sounded like you blamed the driver for your crash.

I sincerely wish nothing, but the best to all the folks on this forum and part of being safe is coming to grips with the fact that we'll never live in a perfect riders' world where everyone will see us and be courteous to us.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't matter which roads you ride. The drivers you describe are everywhere. The safer you feel, thinking you're on a road where everyone looks for you, the more likely you are to get into trouble.

Of course I've had close calls. Every time I do have a close call, I have to remind myself that I failed to identify a potential trouble. I don't care how wrong the driver was and what he did.. it was my responsibility to anticipate it and be prepared for it.

The only reason I commented on your original post was because you sounded like you blamed the driver for your crash.

I sincerely wish nothing, but the best to all the folks on this forum and part of being safe is coming to grips with the fact that we'll never live in a perfect riders' world where everyone will see us and be courteous to us.

I think you've gotten people confused, I've never crashed.