Why the FZ6 hate in bike media?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
With next years bikes all being paraded around and wafted over by scantily dressed tarts, there seems to have been a lot of comparison between the new Yamy offerings and older bikes. That comparison being generally along the lines of, "These will capture the imagination like the FZ6 totally failed to do." I've seen this in MCN, Ride and Bike.

Now I appreciate I only got my licence a month ago and this is my first bike, but I can't help thinking that anyone who outright slates the FZ6 either hasn't ridden one, or even seen one. I'm yet to find something it won't do. And it certainly looks the part, especially the 'N' model.

What am I missing?

Jsc561

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 This is my second bike in the past 2 months, I started riding last month. Started off on a 2013 Ninja 300 the bike was great but after i wrecked it i got a 05 FZ6 the bike is freaking awesome so damn comfortable ! Power ! Handling !

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 This is my second bike in the past 2 months, I started riding last month. Started off on a 2013 Ninja 300 the bike was great but after i wrecked it i got a 05 FZ6 the bike is freaking awesome so damn comfortable ! Power ! Handling !

You wrecked a 300 so you got a faster bike...?

bertrum

Reaction score
Visit site
I think some people just ride as part of their image. So they want a bike thats on the cutting edge all the time. I love my fz because it's well rounded but thats not enough for some. They want something they can pose by. Lol. And not that it matters but I get compliments all the time on my fz.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think some people just ride as part of their image. So they want a bike thats on the cutting edge all the time. I love my fz because it's well rounded but thats not enough for some. They want something they can pose by. Lol. And not that it matters but I get compliments all the time on my fz.

I went a FedEx office recently and the young girl that was helping me looked at my FZ parked in front and gave me a compliment. Nice Bike! :rockon:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
You sure they're referring to our FZ6's or the newer FZ6 R.

I'll take a pic of the page when I get home tonight. We're listed under the "bad yamahas". I'll have to make sure its this weeks copy now and no last! Lol

bertrum

Reaction score
Visit site
Who wrote that article? james william bottomtooth III (family guy)? How snobby can they get? Haha!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With next years bikes all being paraded around and wafted over by scantily dressed tarts, there seems to have been a lot of comparison between the new Yamy offerings and older bikes. That comparison being generally along the lines of, "These will capture the imagination like the FZ6 totally failed to do." I've seen this in MCN, Ride and Bike.

Now I appreciate I only got my licence a month ago and this is my first bike, but I can't help thinking that anyone who outright slates the FZ6 either hasn't ridden one, or even seen one. I'm yet to find something it won't do. And it certainly looks the part, especially the 'N' model.

What am I missing?

You're missing nothing. Marketing is a lot like prostitution, It's an old profession that's masked in layers of deception. I don't judge it. I just don't partake of it and I'm sure it serves it's purpose.

The FZ6 is a great bike and it has been very popular in Europe before the US caught on to it. It does many things very well and with a few mods will surprise you with it's performance! Most riders are not experienced to exploit bikes with lesser options so the numbers really become rhetoric and don't have that much to do with real world experience.

You wrecked a 300 so you got a faster bike...?

The 300 was just fast enough to get him to the edge of the sound barrier where the bike shuddered, became unstable and crashed. The FZ-6 was able to get past the sound barrier shuddering quickly hence a better choice. :p :)

Last edited:

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You sound like my mother. I get what i want, my money, my bike. But since you felt to urge to ask someone cut me off.

And you sound like a whiney child who didn't mention in his introductory post what happened.

You're missing nothing. Marketing is a lot like prostitution, It's an old profession that's masked in layers of deception. I don't judge it. I just don't partake of it and I'm sure it serves it's purpose.

The FZ6 is a great bike and it has been very popular in Europe before the US caught on to it. It does many things very well and with a few mods will surprise you with it's performance! Most riders are not experienced to exploit bikes with lesser options so the numbers really become rhetoric and don't have that much to do with real world experience.

The 300 was just fast enough to get him to the edge of the sound barrier where the bike shuddered, became unstable and crashed. The FZ-6 was able to get past the sound barrier shuddering quickly hence a better choice. :p :)

LOL

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And you sound like a whiney child who didn't mention in his introductory post what happened.

Let's keep it civilized, or the moderators will get you! :spank:

If we do want to discuss getting a bigger bike after wrecking a small-ish one and the particular scenario of *getting cut off*, my opinion would be the following:

If the rider is mature and has gained enough experience to be comfortable with all controls and rarely finds him or herself off-balance at slower speeds, engine displacement is no longer a factor. The key there is "maturity".

However, crashing due to *getting cut off* points to a rider error. Something that should never cause a crash if the rider is properly applying SEE principal. Unless of course this was a completely unprovoked driver who happened to hate bikes and intentionally passed the bike, cut violently into rider's lane and slammed on the brakes.

It's difficult to *read* crash scenarios based on 3 word statement, but I've talked to so many riders who've gone down for one reason or another and all initially start out by describing an *accident* and after I asked them a few questions often realize it was an avoidable crash.

Please forgive me if I sound sanctimonious.. it’s difficult to share the knowledge I’ve picked up in MSF without judgmental overtones.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll take a pic of the page when I get home tonight. We're listed under the "bad yamahas". I'll have to make sure its this weeks copy now and no last! Lol

Scratch that, it was in last weeks which is in the bin.

The quote I remember reading was "These will capture the imagination like the FZ8 totally failed to do."

Nah, it was definitely the 6s. Described them as, "bland, generic Japanese bikes" (or words to that effect). They were suggesting that Yamaha has had a habit of churning out boring crap recently. I just don't see it.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
You sound like my mother. I get what i want, my money, my bike. But since you felt to urge to ask someone cut me off.

He sounds like someone who cares. Have you taken any safety courses that may have helped you avoid the situation?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the guys running around Southern Indiana ride Harleys or lowered GSXR's and it's all for the image. Guys with motorcycles parked at the river-front - polishing the chrome and eyeballing the girls. Those guys are so proud of the "low-mileage" on their bikes and the way the 2 hours of sunshine hasn't started fading the paint yet.....

Like all things in a country where most aren't concerned about food, shelter, or being killed outright, image has become everything. i-Culture, Samsung lifestyle, a Harley sticker on everything you own, Realtree camo being worn year-round, designer puppies in designer purses.... Whatever. Bone-yards in the midwest are littered with the wrecked husks of cruisers and crotch-rockets because people weren't buying motorcycles - they were buying an image.

I love seeing the tired, worn down, rusty old Hondas and Yamaha's cruising around town that have a billion miles on them because they're a motorcycle and not a wheeled trophy. They said the same thing then about those bikes and they represent a golden era of functional motorcycles.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the guys running around Southern Indiana ride Harleys or lowered GSXR's and it's all for the image. Guys with motorcycles parked at the river-front - polishing the chrome and eyeballing the girls. Those guys are so proud of the "low-mileage" on their bikes and the way the 2 hours of sunshine hasn't started fading the paint yet.....

Like all things in a country where most aren't concerned about food, shelter, or being killed outright, image has become everything. i-Culture, Samsung lifestyle, a Harley sticker on everything you own, Realtree camo being worn year-round, designer puppies in designer purses.... Whatever. Bone-yards in the midwest are littered with the wrecked husks of cruisers and crotch-rockets because people weren't buying motorcycles - they were buying an image.

I love seeing the tired, worn down, rusty old Hondas and Yamaha's cruising around town that have a billion miles on them because they're a motorcycle and not a wheeled trophy. They said the same thing then about those bikes and they represent a golden era of functional motorcycles.

Nice, man! That reads like an article in a mag! Except you'd have to be a bit more abiguous about location.. or many angry letters would clog up the inbox! :rof:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
They can send me all the hate mail they want. I know they can't run me down because most are too fat to catch anything but a cheeseburger. Another curse of the midwest. There's a Harley in every garage here (probably why they cost as much as a new Corolla) and all the jokers crashing their liter bikes are running up my insurance rates.

The really weird stuff here is the moped mafia. Those goons are EVERYWHERE. No insurance, no license, no sense. 50cc's and they can roll everywhere but the interstate. Saw a kid riding and texting the other day - no helmet, no hands, no gear....45mph.

In a 6 mile stretch of town, I'll see over a dozen mopeds. Some are guys on hard times but most are drunks or kids on stolen wheels. The employee parking at Walmart looks like a moped shop. Even the moped ninjas are trying to look hard nowadays. That's a rant for another day though.

Last edited:

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

Don't mind the haters who have probable never leaned a bike over in their lives and most likely never will.

You should get a bike that suits your riding style.

If you are going to ride a bit sporty you better have a motorcycle that is capable of handling it.

IF you have it in your head that you are just going to take a corner at a certain speed you better have a bike that can do it. You would be far safer on a moto-gp bike that could lean over 60+ degrees then some street cruiser that you are going to be dragging parts and sliding onto the other side of the road.

Safe is riding with in the capabilities of the vehicle you are riding/driving, if you are going to ride harder you need a "faster" bike to be safe.