Your Rider Resume

tmilheiser

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought my first bike, FZ6, maybe 2 ago and have put 2000 miles on it. Love to ride and leaning the machanics

michael2008

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha FZ6

The Yamaha FZ6 is a 600 cc motorcycle that was introduced in 2004 as a sport cruiser middleweight sport bike built around the 2003 YZF R6 engine. The engine is retuned for more usable midrange power. It comes with a somewhat soft suspension that makes it easy on beginners and very well suited for sport-touring, commuting, or just having fun on curvy mountain roads.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I grew up riding mopeds and horses - not necessarily an intro to motorcycles.

Three years ago my husband and I looked at cycles at a local shop and I poo-pooed him. Said that it wasn't the right time...

In August he said it was time. Not wanting to be left out of the fun (because I like to have fun), I decided if he was going to buy, so was I. He picked up an XT250 and I picked up a TW200. It was a great bike to learn all my basics on and also a great one to get some miles on (and we always ride with safety gear - feel naked without it). Two weeks after we purchased the bikes, we both took the cycle safety course - and passed with flying colors. In less than 2 month's time, we put over 2,000 miles on those bikes exploring all the back country roads. I didn't like off road riding nearly as much as he, so I decided it was time to move up a bit in the bike world - hence the FZ6.

I have no years of cycle history to draw on and no mechanical knowledge (since I will take my bike to the local shop for fixes) - so you will not hear anything from me on that front other than questions. But - I am an avid traveler and shopper, so you may hear my trip story or product opinion from time to time.

So far all of you guys have been a wonderful wealth of information!

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a young rider, tender age of 20. Been riding bikes since I was 16, and have owned 4 different bikes. First one was a 1987 Honda CBX250. Year after was a 2004 Kawasaki ZZR250, then my 2005 Suzuki SV650s and now my baby my 07 FZ600! The FZ was my first brand new bike, and my favourite.

I have grown up around bikes since the day I was born, and my first ride was at the age of 3. Was a passenger on my dad's bikes until 16. My dad has owned at least one bike at a time since then, so I have grown up helping him with maintenance and general issues. I have ridden his Triumph Thunderbird Sport and his lastest FZ1 I steal all the time I can. Have ridden other bikes, but nothing extensively except my own and dad's FZ1.

My honda taught me repairs, and the ZZR I rode that poor bike too the max keeping up with my dad on his FZ. Then I got seriously ill and never rode the ZZR for a few months while I was bed ridden, and upon getting better I bought the SV650. Loved the bike, and even named her Tweety for she and I were all yellow. Christmas last year I injured my knee at work, and the SV had a poor riding position knee wise. I always loved full faired sport bikes, but I couldn't ride them anymore for more then 30 mins. So I walked into my dealer, dad told me the FZ was always the best, and it was a toss up between a R6 and the FZ, and I bought the FZ that same day back in June. My dad was right, and I miss nothing of my previous bikes. The FZ will do anything.

I've ridden about 15000km for my total riding experience, and the FZ has almost 6000 to date. I worked for a bike shop, though quit because the shop was pathetic. I know quite a bit about bikes, but there is so much more I want to learn. I will always try to answer a question if I can, and will check the answer if I do not know it. I try to never give false information, and if I do I apologize! I love learning new techniques and information, and many of the bikes on here make me drool.

I ride rain or shine, from 45 celsius to -10 as my bike is my only transportation. I one day plan on owning a complete winter set of gear (done), summer set and a set of leathers. As well I want to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well as other things on my FZ. Well, if anyone has any questions, feel free to pm me. See you guys on the forums!

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shinn you are hardcorps ridding year round! :thumbup: Very cool, no pun intended. ;)

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
Been playing about with bikes since about 14 yrs of age. During the early years I lived in an area out in the 'sticks' - miles and miles of open hills, trails etc.

First bike came in a cardboard box - 100cc Buffallo trail bike (in pieces). Apparently was a one-off venture between the Bridgestone tyre company and someone else I have been told (but will stand corrected if I'm wrong). Spent my pocket money rebuilding this with my step dad. Had great fun on it and a few injuries.

Next (and this was a long time ago), a Yamaha AT1 125 trail bike - slightly better condition. Brilliant bike, and quite powerful (especially when exhaust baffles were removed).

After making my mistakes and having quite a few scrapes, I was allowed to ride my step-dads Yamaha DT360 trail bike. Awsome power and torque from what I can remember.

Much, much later, I bought myself my first roadbike - Kawasaki GPZ500. Loved this bike until a cager pulled out from the right in front of me (I'm in the UK) and totalled the bike.

Next, GPZ900R Ninja. Fantastic bike, loads of grunt and very stable with a great riding position. Sold this one for more than I paid for it just before the birth of my son (who is now 17).

Now I'm back (some may call it mid-life crisis) and I've got me the FZ6 Fazer. 300 cc less than the 900, but I honestly don't see much difference in performance (but my memory of 18 years ago may be clouded). I don't feel the need to move up to anything bigger for the moment.

Last edited:

J.Daniels

MotoJack
Reaction score
Visit site
Started on a cushman Eagle in 1960.Then several Rice burners,then Harleys about 26 years,then back on the metrics.Never took any rider course but my son did,so I'll leard from him maybe.I've always done my own maintenance,tire changes,valve adjustments,oil,farkle installs etc.Currently ride st1300 and FZ1.Never have been on a track and have never stunted.Most of my riding is for transportation or touring.I'm probably not qualified to advise anyone on how to enjoy their motor sickle.I've never had a crash but that's not because I'm an expert rider.I have just been very lucky.I never did grow up I reckon cause I still like to go fast every tined I get the chance but I keep the bike in good shap with good rubber etc.

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding motorcycles now for about 23 years, finally made the transition form dirt to street 4 years ago when my father handed down his big fatty cruiser. Big change for a guy that loved spitting dirt and throwing the weight around quickly. :rockon:

My only road experience thus far has been on my 96 Kaw Vulcan Classic 1500 (tricked to the gills...and the loudest drag pipes around). The mileage went from 8,250 to 18,550 in four years. I loved her and got a lot of experience learning how to take the big momma apart, but in doing so I found out my dad didn't do the best job taking care of the old girl so I sold her for more than she was worth. Now I'm stepping into a nearly brand new 08 FZ6 Raven, so I guess you can call me a newbie of sorts; I can't wait to get back home (in Germany now) to do some riding!!!

No Track Days, don't plan on that any time soon.

Never been down on the road...wishing I had on the old cruiser because now I'm staring at a bike with 103 miles on it wanting to rub it down with a diaper each day. :D

Never broke any bones on the dirt, but I've landed on my head enough times to know the value of a great helmet, and not fighting the fall. The bike weighs more than you...it will win...don't get in the way.

My brother is a cop, and has taken his bike (04 R6) to speeds that I'm not even going to mention...that won't be for me thanks. I'm looking for a fun bike that looks great and rides comfortable to work and for weekends in the mounains. I'll let my friends do all the crazy driving. If I want to get crazy I'll go jump off a cliff or out of an airplane. :sinister:

Hope this helped...a little. Is it time for beer yet? :iconbeer:

Last edited:

BioBear1

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't thought about this stuff in years..lol.

Grew up in Minn and started riding Honda mini bikes at 8yrs old....50's & then 80's I believe. A friend two houses down had bigger bikes and I started riding his Kz 125 when I was 11.

First time I went down was not long after that. I was riding a 175(I think) at my cousins in Tucson when I was 12 and went down hard on a gravel road. Being from Minn and not used to the heat, I was wearing shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes and a helmet. Road rash from heels to neck all along my left side. Took my mom 3 hours or so to pick the gravel out with tweesers..not fun. Even worse, my parents made me jump in the motel pool to "clean" the wounds. Chlorine hurts. Needless to say I learned a tough lesson. Have always worn the right gear since and I always dress for a crash.

Rode assorted dirt bikes through the 70's and into the mid eighties. In '87 I picked up a used AMF Harley Sportster and proceeded to drive it into the ground in about 4 years. Now that was a dog..lol. Bought a Suzuki GS 1100 in late '92 and drove that until 2001. Sold it because I got divorced.

Drove a friends '01 Fat Boy since he has 4 Harleys until I bought my '08 FZ6 a few months back. I was also fortunate enough to have another friend that has alllowed me to borrow his '04 Monster about once a month for the last 3-4 years to ride in the mountains around Asheville when I got the urge. Gotta love those friends. They help you stay sane when things are rough.

The first drivers course I took was in '82. Have taken two more since then because of work requirements for jobs I had/have. Read 3 bike rags regularly and have read several books on motorcycling. I also have made my son take an MSF course and have him reading stuff as I teach him a few things about riding and take him out to drills on saturday morning at the nearby theater parking lot..lol. Safety always.

Second time I went down was because a 24 year old girl in a station wagon dove across two lanes from my rear left and hit me because I got trapped in traffic with no escape route after 20+ years of riding. I got lucky and only separated my shoulder (most painfull injury I have ever had..you do not want it) even though I went down on the interstae at speed and got thrown way off the road. The price of getting too relaxed and also of being me, hahaha.

Have driven motorcycles, snowmobiles and atv's pretty much all my life. I am 45 so I guess about 37 years with a few years off. I also have my pilots license and even owned a helicopter for a few years..lol. If it has a motor I can drive it; some things better then others. With a Haynes manual I can fix about anything with a motor too. Without one,,it is a toss up.

Enjoy the day and be well,
Mike

Last edited:

klouseau

Canadian Hoserette
Reaction score
www.klouseau.com
Re: Rider resume

Well I have migrated over to this forum, so here we go:

Been riding since I was 17, so 25 years of riding experience. I am female. I do not own a car, and ride my motorcycle full time. Put it away in Dec and pull it back out in March. (use my husbands car during that time).

I average about 15,000 kms a year, so that's about 375,000 kms experience.

I have owned over 30 bikes in my life, and still own 4 motorcycles. 3 of them I have owned for about 20 years. I currently ride a 2008 Ninja 250 as my main ride, but as you all know, my last bike was a 2004 FZ6 that I owned for 2.5 years and put 40,000 kms on.

I have led many group rides, as well as taught my husband, daughter, and many other people to ride.

I have never had an accident in all the 25 yrs of riding, except for this August when an 85 year old woman turned left into me. Bike was totalled but all I got was a lacerated hand (4 stitches) and a few bruises.

I have owned every make of Japanese manufacturers, and all sizes from my YSR50 to a GSXR1100. My bike resume:

Currently own:
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1988 Yamaha YSR50
1987 Yamaha TZR250
1988 Yamaha TDR50 Super Motard

Bike History:

1985 Honda Aero 80 Scooter
1982 Honda Hawk
1982 Honda CB900 Custom
1988 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma
1967 Honda CL175 Scrambler
1968 Honda CB350
1983 Honda 750 Interceptor
1976 Honda CB400F
1986 Yamaha SRX600
1988 Yamaha YSR50
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100
1987 Yamaha TZR250
1988 Honda Hawk GT
1989 Honda CB-1 CB400F
1975 Suzuki GT550 Indy
1988 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1986 Suzuki RG400 Gamma
1988 Honda Hawk GT
1997 BMW F650ST Funduro
1990 Honda CB-1 CB400F
1988 Yamaha TDR50
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Daughter Rides:
2001 Kawi Ninja 250
1969 Honda Z50 Minitrail
1990 Yamaha TZ50

Husband Rides:
2007 Kawi Versys

That's it in a nutshell!

Jennifer

Rocky01

Reaction score
Visit site
My rider resume starts way back in 1981, back at Michigan State University as an undergraduate student. I traded favors with a friend. "I'll type that long term paper for you, if you teach me to ride so I can get the MC endorsement on my Michigan DL".

My friend Joe taught me to ride on a 1973 Yamaha 750 which was slightly chopped! Many thanks go out to Joe for his help in starting me on my motorcycle journeys.

Fast Forward to 1991. I take the 'Beginners MSF Safety Course' sponsored by Rider Education of New Jersey. I wanted to hone my skills for not riding in 10 years. Well worth the 2.25 Day class and passed all requirements for NJ. But I held on to my MC endorsement from MI so I did not need to 'do over' again in NJ.

I purchased a slightly used 1989 Harley XL from a dude in Queens, NY. She had 1789 miles on the odometer. Today I still have her in the garage and she has 41,000 and change on her.

During the succeeding years since I purchased the Sporty, I've taken the 'Advanced Rider Course' from the MSF twice to keep up with my riding skills.

The furthest I rode her was to the HD National Rally in Memphis TN. This is on an 883 sporty with a 2.2 gal tank. (We visited the gas pump often). I had a lot of fun with her, but she is showing her age. I rode to upstate NY in the summer of 2006 for a day trip and she sputtered all the way home on the NY Thruway. I changed her plugs and brought her in to my buddy's shop. Eveything is OK when you bring the bike in for service. I think all the miles of vibration on her are causing an electrical short somewhere. So I don't think she would be too road worthy for a longer trip.

I do miss the longer trips and MC vacations.

I also rode a 2004 Yamaha Raptor 350 Quad. (I had to haul her in the back of my pick-up truck to PA to ride). I made some mods and was able to ride on the PA topsoil (Rocks). She was sold last month so I could get back into street riding.

I'm now waiting for my dealer to get the 2009 FZ6 bikes (The regular one) in stock next year!

I attended my first AMA Pro Race this past August at Mid-Ohio. I had a blast! I've posted pictures here on this forum under racing. I didn't want the three day event to end! I'm thinking about next year and maybe VA and possibly 'riding my net FZ6' to the race!

I enjoy visiting this forum (when I can) and looking at everyone's rides and reading about everyone's suggestions. I dont' see anyone here with an attitude, everyone is treated like family here!

Keep the rubber side down and ride Safe! :rockon:

Rocky01

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
WOW, Klouseau...impressive.

The FZ6 is my second bike. I rode a 1982 Kawi 440 ltd for two years. The tranny locked up on me at 45mph and I didn't lay it down. I took a five year leave and the fule prices started to rise like crazy. When fuel hit $2.50gal I told the wife "what I spend in fuel I could buy a NEW bike". TADA FZ6...Welcome to my family! Have had my FZ6 since March 2006 I have almost 18,000 miles on it and It's only been dropped once.(no damage, less than 5mph lowside, w/frame sliders)
I ride to work Monday thru Friday 27 miles a day year round, rain, hot, cold, it doesn't matter. I get a 200+mile weekend ride in once a month. FIN !

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done newcomers! Thanks for bringing this thread back to the front. We get so many new people that this doesn't get updated with everyone.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the late post, but just discovered this thread.

I started riding back in 1972 with a Honda 350. Bought a Honda 750 in 74 or 75 and rode pretty much all the time until Dec 1979 when I graduated and got a real job. I have a 78 Yamy XS11 my brother donated when he stopped riding that sat in my garage for 14 years. I got that running again around 1999 or 2000 and rode awhile but nothing consistent. Then it sat again until Christmas of 06. Then in the spring of 08 I got the itch for a newer ride and bought the FZ6. I try to ride most of the time unless the chance of rain is >50% or I have a need for the car.

I am a shade tree mechanic, no formal training, but I pick things up quick. I have rebuilt my Honda 350 motor a couple of times, rebuilt a Ford I6 motor, done clutches, brakes, suspensions, etc. I am by no means an expert but I have never been accused of half-assing anything.

I consider myself a competent rider and avoid putting myself in situations that exceed my perceived abilities. I ride conservatively but enjoy kicking it a little. I always wear my gear commuting and never ride without helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. I've hit a car once, in 1977, after a weekend of partying, fell asleep on my 750 and rode into the rear of a car on I75.

My manual I downloaded from this sight is my bible, and I have gained alot of insight about the bike from posts on this forum, from the infamous "Oil Threads" to all the other mods, the dual headlight being the one I want to do, but have not gotten to it yet.

I give my opionion if I feel I have something to offer, and I will speculate to a member who has a problem they can't figure out and asks for ideas, but I don't talk out of my @$$ if I know nothing about a problem.

pt1979

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, so here we go.

My name is Pete, I'm 29, from Austria.
I'm a "late bloomer" in terms of motorcycling - made my car license 11 years ago and haven't waste a thought on biking in 10 years.
Then it hit me - I thought about it, and - boom - had my license.

I bought a 98 Yamaha XVS 650 Drag Star, heavily modified - put on 5000 km on that bike in just 4 months. Then thought that I might need a bike with a bit more power...:D
and bought a 2008 FZ6-Naked, back in black, 98 horses, here we go. :thumbup:

Already put about 2000km on that bike, but it's winter now and that means let the bike sleep 'till February or March - the sooner the better...we'll see! :D

I'm not very good at mechanics...but at least I can mount a Bellypan myself and a few things more. Further than that, I trust the experts who get paid to put a hand on my bike... ;)

I'm so glad I made my license this year, because from the first moment on I loved to drive the bike. It's one of the best things - you're alone, you got the bike, the street (at best times all for yourself) - and you just have to enjoy every single second of it. I love it. :D

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
My Rider Resume

Hi

I'm just shy of 50, male, live and work in England. Started riding about 19 - Honda CB200 - then took a break when I got my first company car - then back to riding in my early 30s, riding ever since on Yamaha Virago, then Yamaha Thundercat, then R1, then previous version Fazer 600, then Ducati Multistrada 1100S, then another R1, then BMW RT1200SE and now 08 FZ6 Fazer S2.

When I started, I mostly rode for fun, at weekends. Now, I pretty much only ride to get to/back from work, not much at all at weekends, but still enjoy it whenever I'm on the bike.

For me, the benefits of riding for work - rather than driving - are obvious. For example, 1 or 2 times a week, I commute to an office in Coventry city centre:
mpg - car 35, bike 55
journey time - car 90 minutes, bike 60
parking charge - car £9, bike free
Plus the immeasurable feeling of freedom on a bike.

Looking for a spot of light continental European touring with like minded riders in '09.

Ride safe.

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
Fairly modest Resume for myself...Ok, really modest, but here it is for anyone who cares :)

-Licensed rider
-Completed MSF course
-06 Yamaha FZ6 is my first bike
-only about 6000 miles logged
-One wreck (minor slide-out)
-0 fatalities! :)

I've ridden in some harsh weather, lot's of nasty Utah traffic, and I stay pretty safe for the most part. I don't know too much about fixing my bike, but I'm learning fast! This forum is a great resource! Thanks for a great Thread!!

Last edited: