10 twisted miles on a CBR1000RR

S

sportrider

Yesterday poorwboy and I, hooked up and rode Big Bear. the weather was perfect, the pavement was clean and we only saw 3 cops the whole ride. it was his maiden flight on his 06 CBR1000RR and the first time this year I've ridden Big Bear. we took the 330 up the mountain, first time riding that stretch of road for me. very awesome, I'm still feeling like I'm fighting the R1 into corners, so my entrance speed is a little slow. I know with more time on the machine I'll eventually get it down. the 18 has fresh asphalt and all of the previous glossy spots I remembered are gone, that made strafing the mountain a lot more enjoyable. about half way down the 38 we pulled off for a smoke break and decided to swap bikes to see how they compare to each other in our opinions.

so starting my decent down the mountain from Angelus Oaks, on board the shiny new CBR, two things jumped out to me immediately. the CBR has a ton of mid range in comparison to my R1, and the bike likes to turn. I felt instantly comfortable on the CBR in the twisties, the bike is so much easier to ride then the R1. my corner entry speed was noticeably faster on the CBR, a corner that I would be taking in 2nd gear at about 7000 rpms on the R1 I could enter in 3rd on the Honda and use the torque of the motor to pull the bike through. the CBR is truly confidence inspiring. on the down side (in my opinion) the CBR did not have the rock solid stability I feel on the R1, while I find initial turn in requires more effort on the R1 once I have the bike leaned over it feels glued to the road and I find me telling myself "I could have entered this corner a lot faster". I also prefer the seat and tank on the R1, the CBR's seat is like an upholstered plank, very hard. the cutouts on the tank on the Honda don't offer the same grip as on the R1, I found myself carrying too much weight on my wrists. the shifter on the CBR was a little harder to access (possibly because the bike isn't adjusted for me) both bikes have excellent stopping power, the CBR offers a little more initial feel but the R1's stability makes hard stops more comfortable. because of the relatively short straightaways I never really had a chance to wring the CBR out on top so I can't compare the top end power of the two bikes, but I will say, after riding the CBR I need to start playing with the setup of my R1. because as of now if I cloned myself and raced myself on both bikes I'd be faster in the tight stuff on the Honda, on the long high speed sweepers I think is where the Yamaha would shine.

on a side note; I ordered a new ECU for the R1 (covered under warranty) the second gear lag at 5500rpm is annoying if you happen to be sitting at 48mph in a corner and try to accelerate out and nothing happens. I'll be interested to see the results of the new ECU.

P.S. I hope you had as much fun reading this as I had doing it!!!:thumbup:

As much as I hate Honda I will admit they do make great products. Sounds like a great ride.

As much as I hate Honda I will admit they do make great products. Sounds like a great ride.

damn i think i've read before that you hate honda's...is there a specific reason for that? i think honda makes great reliable engines,,i like the design of their every single model too,,i'd like to get my hand on one of those 1000RR's.. ;)

thanks for the comparison,definitely something i would like to know about

Big bear is an awesome ride, been there a few times this year. Does the 18 take you to Arrowhead? I dont remember :tard: lol
Also how did the CBR feel in size compared to the R1, isnt it abit slimer/smaller/thinner?

damn i think i've read before that you hate honda's...is there a specific reason for that? i think honda makes great reliable engines,,i like the design of their every single model too,,i'd like to get my hand on one of those 1000RR's.. ;)

thanks for the comparison,definitely something i would like to know about

It's because they seem to have unlimited money. When Spencer was racing he got everything, oval pistons, 8 valves, etc. Roberts and others didn't have all the bells and whistles but they did as well.

That and I hate punks in Civics....

Danny, I think your assessment of the power curve differences between the 2 bikes is very accurate. I have ridden an 06 CBR (and I own the same R1 as you) and find that it is easier to ride the Honda on the street. It has more usable torque and a wider ratio transmission, which obviously allow for easier exits from turns and wheelies on command.

But sticking up for the Yamaha, the cornering characteristics are stellar. I share your feeling about the turn-in, in order to change direction you must be willing to lean the bike from any speed above 5 MPH. However, once leaned over it won't surprise you with any wiggles. In addition it has the best brakes I've ever used.

BTW I had the ECU swapped under warranty. Although I could duplicate the lag @5500 RPM if I tried to, it really wasn't a problem for me. Since replacement, the lag is gone but I haven't noticed any other changes at all.

have either of you guys thought bout changing the front sprocket on your r1's? just a thought.... if you have and i missed it then ignore this post

+1 - I hate Honda as well. I'm sure they make great bikes but they are just so B-O-R-I-N-G to ride. Don't get me wrong, they work well, have great reliability and seem to do everything for you. But that's the problem. In some sadistic way, I like to be involved in riding - fighting with some wild Italian bike is more fun than being molly-coddled by the Honda. Hondas just sort of get on with it almost regardless of the rider ability.

Big bear is an awesome ride, been there a few times this year. Does the 18 take you to Arrowhead? I dont remember :tard: lol
Also how did the CBR feel in size compared to the R1, isnt it abit slimer/smaller/thinner?
I think it does, I don't really know all the little towns through there. the CBR feels a little smaller and lighter (according to the mags they weigh about the same)

Danny, I think your assessment of the power curve differences between the 2 bikes is very accurate. I have ridden an 06 CBR (and I own the same R1 as you) and find that it is easier to ride the Honda on the street. It has more usable torque and a wider ratio transmission, which obviously allow for easier exits from turns and wheelies on command.

But sticking up for the Yamaha, the cornering characteristics are stellar. I share your feeling about the turn-in, in order to change direction you must be willing to lean the bike from any speed above 5 MPH. However, once leaned over it won't surprise you with any wiggles. In addition it has the best brakes I've ever used.

BTW I had the ECU swapped under warranty. Although I could duplicate the lag @5500 RPM if I tried to, it really wasn't a problem for me. Since replacement, the lag is gone but I haven't noticed any other changes at all.
I really think I need to do a track day. I know the R1 is more then capible of doing more then I ever will be. any tips on set up to help with "lightening" up the initail turn in?

I really think I need to do a track day. I know the R1 is more then capible of doing more then I ever will be. any tips on set up to help with "lightening" up the initail turn in?

To make you bike turn easier just move your upper torso and shoulders in the direction that you want to go and the bike will follow. If you need to go through a set of esses you must be willing to be a active participant, it's just not the same as the FZ6.

As far as a trackday, a group of us have Oct.17 @ Willow Springs (the big track) circled on our calendar,we should be making our track payments in the next 10 days. Link: Hypercycle We are also considering a day at the Streets of Willow about a month from now but that is up in the air.

I do about 1 trackday a month and can help you out with the prep routine if you interested. Let me know.

+1 - I hate Honda as well. I'm sure they make great bikes but they are just so B-O-R-I-N-G to ride. Don't get me wrong, they work well, have great reliability and seem to do everything for you. But that's the problem. In some sadistic way, I like to be involved in riding - fighting with some wild Italian bike is more fun than being molly-coddled by the Honda. Hondas just sort of get on with it almost regardless of the rider ability.

Exactly! The old 500 Intercepter is a great example. Very fast, handled great, looked great, but it was as boring as hell and sounded terrible. The first gen CBR600 (Easter Egg Bike) was the same way, only it looked terrible too, big hunk o' plastic.

They just lack character in my eyes.

Now the old NSR400, that is a COOL Honda!

View attachment 6699

To make you bike turn easier just move your upper torso and shoulders in the direction that you want to go and the bike will follow. If you need to go through a set of esses you must be willing to be a active participant, it's just not the same as the FZ6.

As far as a trackday, a group of us have Oct.17 @ Willow Springs (the big track) circled on our calendar,we should be making our track payments in the next 10 days. Link: Hypercycle We are also considering a day at the Streets of Willow about a month from now but that is up in the air.

I do about 1 trackday a month and can help you out with the prep routine if you interested. Let me know.
thanks for the info!!! hey Oct 17th is my B-day!!!! (hint hint hint that would be a great present if only someone I love was reading this!!!) ;)

Back