2 up riding

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Starting to look at practicing with my wife on the backseat so she can eventually start riding with me. Anything I should know of/be aware of for 2 up riding, aside from the fact that it'll completely change how the bike handles? The other thing is, when she's on the back (she butt tested it too before we bought it), it sits down so that both my feet are planted on the ground. When its just me on it, i can reach the ground no problems, but my heels don't quite make it. Is it going to be a problem with it sitting lower with her on the back? If i raise up the rear shock when she's on it, when she gets off, i'll keel over, so thats kind of out of the question. Thanks!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It won't handle completely differently...it will just handle like you have a passenger on the back :D

Braking distances will go way up and keeping your momentum in the twisty bits will be required to maintain a decent pace.

The grab rails on the FZ6 work very well. With the top case I have my wife never needs to put her hands on me while we're riding and to tell you the truth I can barely tell she is back there.

You should definitely up the preload to 6 or 7 to compensate for the additional weight. Best case would be to have someone help you measure the sag but if the two of you are between 300 and 350 6 or 7 s/b fine.

Reaction score
Visit site
my ex never rode with my on the fz but she did on my kawi and i didn't really notice a difference...if they lean with you its not problem in the corners

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Bump your tire pressures up too. It'll help the tires last longer, and it won't feel like it's wollowing around as much.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Don't ride anything too technical until you're seriously used to it. It could be dangerous in the canyons. Took me 5 hours until I was fully comfortable with my girlfriend on the back to go "decent" pace in the canyons. But I can fully guarantee she'll love it like this:
attachment.php

I'd start with some street driving, go over what it's going to be like, brief her on hand signals to tell you things, what to do in an off (sorry, i gotta say it), and most importantly...HAVE FUN! BIG SMILES!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with Jannie on the back most of the time. I think we have done about 15000km on the FZ6 and about 25000km on the Intruder together.
With Jannie I do not even know she is there and she can fall asleep on long journeys. not that I would suggest that.
I have a top box on the bike which is great for her to lean on. I also have passenger peg extentions which is great for her.
The label on my swingarm told me what tyre pressures to use for 2 up riding, it is now stuck on the inside lid of the topbox. I always keep the tyres at 2 up pressure. I have no idea what the shocker is set to but it is fine for us and all our gear for 2 weeks travelling so I am not touching it now.
It really helps if you can touch the floor flat footed when she is on. I couldn`t and bought a Yamaha lowered seat which made a MASSIVE difference. You are far more stable when stopping at junctions, lights etc as well as when you are manoevering the bike at a shuffle.
Remember you have to think of 2 of you so no hard braking or accelerating or you will get fed up of banging heads. If she does not like the ride she won`t want to get on.
Tell her to tap you when SHE is ready to move off, she is part of the ride so get her involved.
When you stop tell her to stay on until you are ready for her to get off. If travelling distances make plenty of stops. I can ride 200 miles without stopping but if I were a passenger I would get bored.
You will soon get to know what is right and wrong so enjoy it. We love riding together.

Steve

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
shouldn't matter...just bump up that rear shock preload to 7 and inflate the tires according to the swingarm like steve said.
Great info Steve!

You just have to get used to it and of course yelling at each other (to communicate) work fine until you go everywhere together: in which case a comm system might be a good idea.

CodeMonkey

Reaction score
Visit site
What would happen if the rider is HEAVIER then you. LOL , since my wife isnt looking right now..

Tie her to the back of the bike with a rope and say "Honey, we're either gonna run it off or we're gonna drag it off!"

I am kidding, my wife and I are both not very light people. The line above is what my cousin used to say if he noticed his wife was gaining weight.

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
tie her to the back of the bike with a rope and say \"honey, we're either gonna run it off or we're gonna drag it off!\"

i am kidding, my wife and i are both not very light people. The line above is what my cousin used to say if he noticed his wife was gaining weight.

yep about to put her on slim fast lol

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest thing I tell a rider is to lean with me, but not more than me. I have had a rider lean the opposite direction. That is NOT a good situation.

Oh... and she needs gear too!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never tried it. My wife has never been on a motorcycle, and I don't know if she'd like it. We'd have to get a full set of gear for her, which is a big investment just to try it the first time. Plus, we'd have to get two sidecars, one for each kid.

The only useful thing I can add is that I read in Proficient Motorcycling that you shouldn't try 2-up riding until you've ridden at least two seasons solo. I'm only one year old on the bike.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never tried it. My wife has never been on a motorcycle, and I don't know if she'd like it. We'd have to get a full set of gear for her, which is a big investment just to try it the first time. Plus, we'd have to get two sidecars, one for each kid.

The only useful thing I can add is that I read in Proficient Motorcycling that you shouldn't try 2-up riding until you've ridden at least two seasons solo. I'm only one year old on the bike.

2 seasons? Ha:rof:. I got to ride my bike home from the dealer while my wife followed me home in the car. No sooner than we got home, she jumped on the back and hasn't gotten off yet. She loves to ride with me and she's a good passenger, too. At one point though, I did have to tell her not to lean into the corners before I lean. ;)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do not believe all you read. In my first season of riding we did 16000km together. This year we have done about 14000km together. All you have to do is be sensible about it. It is easy to carry someone providing you think you are touring and not racing.

Steve

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, broke that rule too. Like Steve says, keep in mind you're touring and not racing. Get some parking lot practice before hitting the streets. I found I had to slide the clutch quite a bit more during starts, which is kind of aggravated by the FZ6's short friction zone.

Setup rear shock pre-load, 6 or 7.
Increase tire pressure to max load.
Coach pillon on being steady, lean with bike, no sudden movements.
During braking, use hand rails, not my back.
Sorry, but don't lean on me while cruising. It only takes a few minutes before forearms are worn out!

The cool thing about riding 2-up is afterwards when you go back to solo, the bike will handle like a mountain bicycle!