2004 FZ6 fuel pump failure

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
The dreaded fuel pump failed on my 2004 FZ6. The replacement assembly 5VX-13907-01 is a stunning $650.

I found some thread posts about using the R6 pump assembly but none specified which *year* R6. I believe I can swap the pump out of the assembly, or move the fuel level float.

Ideas?

Edit #1: I bought the correct fuel pump assembly (5VX-13907-01) from Fazil.
Edit #2: In the meantime, here's the reverse electrolysis I'm using to remove the red rust. I consider Kreem, POR-15, or any other coating as a temporary repair. Moving text from page 3 to this first post.
Edit #3 May 30 2013: The used pump Fazil sold me is defective. (I'm not mad at Fazil. There's no way he could have known). A new pump has the bike running flawlessly. I was really hoping the dealer tech troubleshooting was wrong and it wouldn't cost me $800 (pump+install) or Fazil a pump. I'm headed to the dealer now to pick up the FZ6 and ride it home.

I will be doing reverse electrolysis to remove the red rust which accumulated from sitting 5 years 1/4 full of fuel. I have successfully used reverse electrolysis before on Honda Sabre tanks that were left sitting for 15 years partially full.

Reverse electrolysis procedure from FuelSystem/FuelTankRust - SabMagFAQ that I've used:
Jason’s de-rusting method

Hi all, I've gotten a few requests for the magical gas tank derusting process. Wonder if it deserves space in the faq?
You need:
1 rusty gas tank
1 small container of sodium carbonate (aka soda ash or PH+ for pool/spa), chemical compound Na2CO3
1 4-amp or better battery charger
1 sacrificial steel bolt approx 3/8 x 1.5. *DO NOT USE A STAINLESS BOLT*
1 short length of copper wire, ~12 awg
1 qt naptha
1 qt denatured alcohol
1 sock
1 handful of nuts and bolts

Empty out all the gas, take out the petco ck and remove the fuel cap. Remove any old fuel residue and varnish with a good rinse of naptha, make it petroleum free and then drain / dry. Using a sock with a handful of small nuts/washers etc, add a little water and shake this all around inside the gas tank to loosen the big chunks, rinse with clear water scrub well. In a decent pail (not oil drain bucket), dissolve some of the sodium carbonate in water, 1/3 cup for say a Magna, ½ cup for a Sabre in a gallon of clear water, when its dissolved all the way stir it a bit more!

Seal up all ports except the filler cap opening on top. Pour in the well stirred 1 gallon mix using a funnel. Fill the tank right to the top with water. Set the tank so that the cap opening is the highest part, burp out as much air as possible and keep the tank full for the process. Some water will evaporate. Keep the tank topped off with water.

Wrap a half dozen or so turns of the wire around the bolt to hold it secure, twist it tight so the bolt won't fall off. Attach the (-) lead of the battery charger to the outer shell of the tank, attach the (+) to the other end of the copper wire or the sacrificial bolt, suspend the bolt in the solution. The bolt SHOULD NOT touch the tank! Turn on the battery charger to a fairly high rate, an amp or two flowing is good, then wait.

Time to process is ~48 hours and it won't overdo itself. The longer you wait, the more red rust gets removed.

The steel bolt gets nasty after a day, I cleaned mine now and again to remove the crud but not sure it helps. After a couple days, remove the leads, discard the bolt, save the wire, drain and rinse the tank well, drag out that sock and slosh it all around to remove any loose material. Rinse a few more times until the rinse water seems clean, shake well and then use a lot of alcohol to absorb the remaining water.

Once the tank is dry, you're all set to put it back into service. More coating not required.

Science: The process by which rust forms is electrochemical in nature so this method employs a reverse current flow in an alkaline bath at a higher voltage to reverse the process at a quicker rate. There are actually two forms of rust: iron III oxide (red oxide Fe2O3) and iron II, III oxide (black oxide (Fe3O4)(FeO)). Black oxide is a smaller molecule. The electrolytic process converts red rust to black rust and in the process the black rust becomes weakly bonded to the base metal. The black rust that takes the place of the red rust can be easily wiped, washed, or brushed off leaving rust free base metal. Any pitting that has occurred will remain, this method will not repair damage, but the pits will be rust free.

This is an alkali process and not acid, so you don't have a lot of pits in the steel filled with stray hydrogen ions which would just love to start rusting immediately instead of a much less active coating of black oxide.

Theoretical:
picture.php

Here are pictures of me actually doing it (rubber stopper used to plug fill hole):
picture.php

Tank innards before any work done:
picture.php

Tank innards after MECHANICAL cleaning with a handful of bolts:
picture.php

Rusty sacrificial anode after 6 hours:
picture.php

14 days later, sacrificial anode after a 12 hour cycle. Note how little red rust is accumulating. This indicates the tank is nearly void of red rust.
picture.php

Final result after 14 days of reverse electrolysis:
picture.php

After replacing the failed fuel pump with a used one from Fazil, the bike only runs for a few seconds before stalling. All 4 exhaust headers get hot, so I suspect fuel delivery. Forum members recommending testing the injectors. Fuel injection rail after the airbox is removed.
picture.php

Use vice grips and a screwdriver to remove these extremely tight screws. A FOURTH screw is horizontal and covered by an aluminum tube. You can see it at my pinkie finger.
picture.php

Fuel injection test jig. 30 PSI air. Fuel hose filled with water. 12VDC switched power source on the yellow/black wires. I thought the #1 injector was fouled. It was actually perfectly fine like all the others. Each has 4 injector holes and they atomize the water nicely.
picture.php

Last edited:

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
The dreaded fuel pump failed on my 2004 FZ6. The replacement assembly 5VX-13907-01 is a stunning $650.

I found some thread posts about using the R6 pump assembly but none specified which *year* R6. I believe I can swap the pump out of the assembly, or move the fuel level float.

Ideas?

I'm in the UK, however the US site that I use for looking up part numbers and diagrams appears to be selling this pump for $455.69 (still expensive but a little bit more bearable), not sure what the postage will be but shouldn't be too much. Here's the link:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 OEM Fuel Tank | MotoSport

Yamahaboyz

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
Use the search function as first reference? Tons of info.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...es-anybody-know-if-r6-fuel-pump-will-fit.html
It looks like a go?
$650.00 is scandalous, good luck and post up your results,

Neil
Already read that thread. Every R6 pump assembly I found has a return tube on the bottom. The FZ6 assembly doesn't. I could guess the assembly halves (top and bottom) could be swapped, but I want a definitive answer before I spend money. My local dealer offered the FZ6 unit new at $500. Robbery for just a pump.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Already read that thread. Every R6 pump assembly I found has a return tube on the bottom. The FZ6 assembly doesn't. I could guess the assembly halves (top and bottom) could be swapped, but I want a definitive answer before I spend money. My local dealer offered the FZ6 unit new at $500. Robbery for just a pump.
What about contacting the member in the thread who said he was going to go for it. See how he got on.
Get one from a breakers yard?

Neil

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
I am taking the assembly apart tomorrow. All I need is which pump to buy. I seriously doubt I can get it direct from the manufacturer assuming the body is even marked with a model number.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check compatibility with FJR1200 chat to Scott for more info.

Neil:thumbup:

Thanks Neil but I believe the FJR also has a return line.

There were a bunch of bikes being parted out recently, you may want to check those. If not, "Partzilla" below has some really good prices if you have to go new:

$434 here,

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS FUEL TANK Diagram

Its recommended you replace the large o-ring seal too with the pump..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I read someone used the FZ6r pump which was supposed to be same pump that worked with the fz6 but was much cheaper.

Forget what I just said...Someone tried this (FZ6r) pump and said there was not enough pressure... :(

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do we know why the pumps are failing?
Is there any preventative maintenance that can help?

Neil

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a spare working order Fz6 fuel pump taken from a low mileage bike.
Pm me if you're interested.

pompa.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do we know why the pumps are failing?
Is there any preventative maintenance that can help?

Neil

Neil, I suspect the pump failure is due to crap getting into the tank and clogging the filter (see below pic's). The pump can't get any fuel thru it, overheats and burns up. Running the tank super low also heats up the pump. The fuel keeps the pump cool.

Getting fuel from a known good source and keeping at least a 1/4 tank of fuel would help. Having swapped my tank a couple of times, (and I'm very anal about fueling up) I've still found some grit in the tank over time.

A tip is NEVER FILL UP from a station that has a tanker truck filling the stations fuel tanks. It stirs ALL THE CRAP UP (that was settled on the bottom), you then end up pumping it into your bike /car.

Another is should you have the tank off for some reason, or its laid up for the winter, empty the tank, and blow it out real good with compressed air. You can also flush it with some fuel, slosh it around to get any stubborn debris out..

Removing the pump would work even better (and you can accesss the NON-removeable fuel filter) and gentlly blow clean the small built in filter.

Removing the pump is somewhat a PIA the first time as the fuel level sender unit should be removed first (there's a tab that once pushed-the orange arrow in the first picture) will allow both the pump and sender to separate (see below pic). The unit goes back in as one piece (go figure)

The last thing that is probably the major issue. If the bike is left say, over wintertime, parked with a semi empty tank, that air space where there's no fuel, is going to rust, period. That rust will eventually get down to the pump. Keeping the tank full for storage with a fuel stabilizer will prevent that..(I like Seafoam as its a stabilizer and light cleaner. It has the consistancy of maybe 5-10wt oil).

Pic's compliments of other members posts..

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott, I've had the pump off before to swap my tank but never cleaned the filter. The filter in that picture looks scary. I am thinking that cleaning the filter is probably as essential as an oil change.
I have to admit that I fill to the brim and then fill up when I'm at the flashing bar with probably 3/4 of a litre left in the tank.
I think using Fuelly has greatly influenced this habit as partial fills throw their calculations off.

Neil

Sent from my HTC One X

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott, I've had the pump off before to swap my tank but never cleaned the filter. The filter in that picture looks scary. I am thinking that cleaning the filter is probably as essential as an oil change.
I have to admit that I fill to the brim and then fill up when I'm at the flashing bar with probably 3/4 of a litre left in the tank.
I think using Fuelly has greatly influenced this habit as partial fills throw their calculations off.

Neil

Sent from my HTC One X

Yep, someone pulled a failing one apart but that screen is non replaceable. If there's crap under it, short of cutting it apart, there's not much you can do with it. I've never had one apart that deep. If its sealed together with a plastic outer edge and you have a way of re-sealing the edge, you cut cut one or two edges of the screen, blow the crap out and re-seal (melt back together?). If all the crap is outside the filter, just blowing it off should take of it..

I wouldn't mind having a clogged, burnt up unit to mess with. It'd save folks a bunch of $ (as long as the pump isn't toast at that point)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, someone pulled a failing one apart but that screen is non replaceable. If there's crap under it, short of cutting it apart, there's not much you can do with it. I've never had one apart that deep. If its sealed together with a plastic outer edge and you have a way of re-sealing the edge, you cut cut one or two edges of the screen, blow the crap out and re-seal (melt back together?). If all the crap is outside the filter, just blowing it off should take of it..

I wouldn't mind having a clogged, burnt up unit to mess with. It'd save folks a bunch of $ (as long as the pump isn't toast at that point)
What's the point of making a unit that is essentially non serviceable, apart from the obvious reason of $$$?

Neil

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site

If I replace my entire unit, I am wiling to send you my clogged, failed one.

Backstory: bought this 04 FZ6 from a old coworker last week. The bike was parked in good running order 5 *years* ago, with a 1/4 fulll tank. Light surface rust everywhere. What I don't understand is the pump didn't even prime when I replaced the battery. Pump harness gets 12VDC power and all fuses are OK. We are negotiating the pump repair costs. I am tempted to make him eat the $650 for a new unit since I have to reverse electrolysis the tank.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I replace my entire unit, I am wiling to send you my clogged, failed one.

Backstory: bought this 04 FZ6 from a old coworker last week. The bike was parked in good running order 5 *years* ago, with a 1/4 fulll tank. Light surface rust everywhere. What I don't understand is the pump didn't even prime when I replaced the battery. Pump harness gets 12VDC power and all fuses are OK. We are negotiating the pump repair costs. I am tempted to make him eat the $650 for a new unit since I have to reverse electrolysis the tank.
How many miles on your bike? Did you get any kind of symptoms before it failed?

Neil