2004 FZ6 fuel pump failure

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I replace my entire unit, I am wiling to send you my clogged, failed one.

Backstory: bought this 04 FZ6 from a old coworker last week. The bike was parked in good running order 5 *years* ago, with a 1/4 fulll tank. Light surface rust everywhere. What I don't understand is the pump didn't even prime when I replaced the battery. Pump harness gets 12VDC power and all fuses are OK. We are negotiating the pump repair costs. I am tempted to make him eat the $650 for a new unit since I have to reverse electrolysis the tank.
How many miles on your bike? Did you get any kind of symptoms before it failed?

Neil

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on your bike? Did you get any kind of symptoms before it failed?

Neil
We troubleshot it to a failed fuel pump the day I bought it. We never got it running. (Adam was a Formula3 tech ages ago, and I restore bikes as a hobby, so the electrical and mechanical were easy).

We were stunned at the $650 unit price, and googled and found the "possibility" of R6 units at a much lower cost. Due to the return tube, the R6 unit is not a drop in replacement. I am unsure if the fuel pump itself is identical.

He is selling the house, so the bike had to go, so I bought it. Didn't plan on this being such a bitch.

6,245 miles.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
to the OP:

I had a fuel pump failure of a different kind last spring. SUF: Stupid user failure. I didn't secure the tank when I lifted it and bam!! came crashing down and broke off the fuel inlet.

I went through the same thing as you including buying a used FZ6R pump off ebay. It was a good price and rumored to work on the FZ6. When I hooked it up it didn't deliver enough pressure to run the bike. so I never did figure out if I was sent a bad pump or if the FZ6R pump just wasn't going to work on the FZ6. The seller swears the pump came of a great running FZ6R with only 4,000 miles.

I found there were no FZ6 used pumps available and was impatient to wait for one to come available. so I went new. it cost around $425. I just didn't want to waste any riding time waiting. Since then I have seen 4 or 5 used pumps become available.

And btw, Fazil in Istanbul hooked me up with the electrical fitting to the pump that also broke off in my stupidity.. He's a good guy. I would not hesitate to do business with him again.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Op sounds like the old owner is a we guy and is willing to help, as for the relay it went bad because pump failed or bound up probably because of the way it was stored.

As for the filters or fuel sock as its commonly called most automobiles are Jon service able because they will last 150,000 easily if people drive daily the problem comes when you leave a low tank and store the air mixes with the fuel in the tank and creates water rusting the sides of the tank People need to use a stabilizer to prevent that,

As for filling up when a tanker is filling that is also very true but the has station should have filters inside the tank and each pump, but its honestly better to not risk it, 2ndly more fuel in the tank keeps the pump cooler as fuel is the lubricant for the fuel pump. Third of all fuel has a shelf time and must be sold by a certain date after its separated from the crude due to its shelf life, the fuel starts to break down and separate, most people are cheap and go to places like Costco for gas not realizing that Costco buys the fuel from other stations who are coming up to the deadline In which. Is set by the government for the fuel to be sold.

For I believe fuel must be sold in 30 days so let's say some mom and pops buys 500 gallons and they only sell 250 but its day 25 they auction it and places like Costco buy it then ship it to the location they desire which is at least a 2-3 day plus the auction time ends up being past or close too the shelf life , it's not that the fuel is bad its just not the exact or perfect fuel that Was created 30 days ago and you do that long enough imagine all the bad fue fuel lubing your fuel pump

Maybe if someone has a connection at a dealer than can ask the parts man if they are able to order the fuel sock

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That milage is very low for such a big failure and as you say a right bitch.
Would it be possible to swap the internals out?

Neil

Sent from my HTC One X

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If I replace my entire unit, I am wiling to send you my clogged, failed one.

Backstory: bought this 04 FZ6 from a old coworker last week. The bike was parked in good running order 5 *years* ago, with a 1/4 fulll tank. Light surface rust everywhere. What I don't understand is the pump didn't even prime when I replaced the battery. Pump harness gets 12VDC power and all fuses are OK. We are negotiating the pump repair costs. I am tempted to make him eat the $650 for a new unit since I have to reverse electrolysis the tank.

Well, you just pointed out why it failed.

Sitting for 5 years with 1/4 tank of fuel most of the inside of that fuel tank will be rusted and needs to be cleaned or replaced.

When you pull the tank off and pull the pump out, pay attention to rust. If there's a bunch, it'll clog up the new pump and burn it up.

The below pic is my old tank, (2 really small dings in it), about two years old. It should be that clean....

Pic shown is from thru where the fuel pump bolts up.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's the point of making a unit that is essentially non serviceable, apart from the obvious reason of $$$?

Neil

Its probably cheaper to manufacture. And heck, if they can sell a $4-500.00 pump, its $.

If the bikes ridden regularly (no rust build up), it should last quite awhile. I still have the original pump in my (an 07).

The similar FJR pump, really doesn't have issues but the FJR guys ride thier bikes alot and put 100,000 miles on them. The forum is full of extremly knowledgable folks (but is very sarcastic and Friday is "Pile on day").
The FZ seems to be much more common, maybe for that reason.

I have yet to see an FJR pump fail.

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you just pointed out why it failed.

Sitting for 5 years with 1/4 tank of fuel most of the inside of that fuel tank will be rusted and needs to be cleaned or replaced.

When you pull the tank off and pull the pump out, pay attention to rust. If there's a bunch, it'll clog up the new pump and burn it up.

The below pic is my old tank, (2 really small dings in it), about two years old. It should be that clean....

Pic shown is from thru where the fuel pump bolts up.
I will be doing reverse electrolysis to remove the red rust. Done it successfully before on Honda Sabre tanks that were much worse than this one.

Edit: bought the used 5VX-13907-01 unit from Fazil in Istanbul. :). Should be here in a week or two. Prev owner and I are splitting the cost. He also owes me a beer.

Edit 2: Moved the electrolysis explanation to the first post.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen the process your going to do but have never done it.

If you would, please post the exact procedure, maybe some before and after pic's and if you recoat the inside.

I'd like to have it saved for later referrels...

Thank you and good luck...

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a spare one as well if you can't find one. As I will be selling my FZ soon I won't need it...
Bought Fazil's 5VX-13907-01 fuel pump unit in good working order without fuel sensor. Should have it in a week or two. If it is actually garbage, I will contact you.

Last edited:

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree but people are lazy try calling and asking the questions you want answered I'd assume your trying to track down every lead

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
I have updated the first post with the reverse electrolysis explanation and pictures of this FZ6 tank restoration. The process needs another day or two.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have updated the first post with the reverse electrolysis explanation and pictures of this FZ6 tank restoration. The process needs another day or two.

Excellent! Got this thread and your link saved under favorites for later referrel, thank you!!!!

Also, please post the final results (pic's again under the first post) and when she's alive!

Moderators, this IMHO, is worthy of being a STICKY...

Please consider, it'd be a big help to others..... :thumbup:

Hayabusafiend

Reaction score
Visit site
I have completed the reverse electrolysis and updated the first page with pics. The fuel pump arrived from Turkey. It passed a power test and I mounted it in the tank with the fuel level sensor, also bench tested with an ohm meter.

Haven't filled the tank with fuel yet. Ran out of spare time.