Reaction score
Visit site
due to my finacial situation my FZ6 must go

here are the specs
2008 Yamaha FZ6
2438 miles
registered in Colorado
Dual Headlight mod
changed the oil once(prolly need to do it again)

will get some pics soon

the bad
bike was laid down and has a few scratches, was laid down because of my stupidity, I was getting kinda close to a vehicle and put on my front brake to hard and whoops there i go and the bike goes down, the bike still rides good, I picked it up and kept riding

the biggest thing is, it has one small dent in gas tank
the rest is just scratches
front fairing, rear fairing
engine cover

I will disclose all this in the pics

now the only other problem i have is when I bought the bike at a yamaha dealer a credit card company financed me, even though it is through yamaha I dont have a title in hand
I owe 6500 on the bike

i dont know what to do about that
I am not sure what my asking price is at the moment but if you can just look at the bike in the pics

Bike is Located in Baton Rouge, La

$6000

Last edited:
DSC01600.jpg

DSC01607.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01608.jpg

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01610.jpg

dent in gas tank
DSC01601.jpg

front fairing
DSC01602.jpg

engine cover
DSC01603.jpg

rear fairing
DSC01604.jpg

Good luck on the sale.

I always wondered why people end up selling the bike for Finacial Reasons?

I would think that having a bike would be one of the biggest advantages if money is an issue. It's much more economical to own & operate a bike versus owning a car. I ride about 1250 miles a month, all for under $100 with fuel & insurance.

Ditch the car, yes sometimes it's an inconveniece and you do have to make some adjustments as far as lifestyle. But if you're desperate, you learn to adapt real quickly. I sure did.

Good luck on the sale.

I always wondered why people end up selling the bike for Finacial Reasons?

I would think that having a bike would be one of the biggest advantages if money is an issue. It's much more economical to own & operate a bike versus owning a car. I ride about 1250 miles a month, all for under $100 with fuel & insurance.

Ditch the car, yes sometimes it's an inconveniece and you do have to make some adjustments as far as lifestyle. But if you're desperate, you learn to adapt real quickly. I sure did.

I think this depends largely on where you live. I don't think it's feasible to just own a bike if you live in a region where it snows for 2+months. I've never ridden in inclement conditions, but I would imagine road salt and ice would be pretty difficult and dangerous.

You do make a good point though Vegas! I'm going to try to ride my bike to work some in the summer. There is a free motorcycle parking area very close to my work. But it always seems to be pretty full by the time I get in. As it is now, I take the bus for $4/day to and from. I would have to pay $6+/day for parking if I were to drive my car.

OP: Good luck with the sale

Last edited:
Agreed that commuting on a bike is not very cheap...and that's if everying goes as planned. ...

Don't say that -- because that was my big justification :D.

I guess you just call it "transportainment" because my 32 mile (one way) commute is funner on MC.

I agree with others that $6000 is out of line since the bike is considered 2 years old (even if it isn't) and has been down. Also, keep an eye for used parts -- hopefully, you can get some of those scratches fixed (via a better looking used part) so cosmetically it looks good and will keep potential buyers from turning away.

Best of luck,

Dennis

Good luck with your sale, but you're price is awfully high for a 2008 with 2,400 miles and significant road rash.

I paid $6,400 OTD for my 2008 FZ6 back in 2008. It had zero miles, no rash and was brand spankin new two years ago.

Vegas:
http://www.whybike.com/blog/index.php?p=150
Are Motorcycles Cheaper Than Cars? | Best Beginner Motorcycles

Between maintenance, tires, insurance, gear....etc... it's much closer than you'd think... owning a basic honda civic used to cost me much less than any of my bikes (not counting mods and crashes :D)...

About the OP: $6k for that bike is way too much in today's economy... look around...

Tires: I agree, you don't nearly get as many miles on a bike tire vs a car tire, and they're more expensive but I got 17,000 miles out of my last set of 2Ct's, that's after I got a nail which resulted me retiring the tire prematurely. I wasn't even at the wear marks.

Insurance: I say it's cheaper, at least it was for me, about $100 a month. And if you take a safety class, depending on who you insure with, you can get up to 30% discount.

Gear: Now that was a big dollar amount, but I off set the cost of the expensive gear by not buying anymore clothes or shoes. Last time I bought a new pair of jeans was almsot two years ago, actually any clothes for that matter except motorcycle gear.

Fuel: I consistently get about 45 mpg running on regular fuel

Location: OP is in Baton Rouge, a place he can ride year round. Yes, he will get wet during those torrential thunderstorms, but still doable.

But like you said, depending on what type of car vs what type of bike, it can be a close.

Kenny, you may be on one end of the spectrum, but on average, and everything considered, a motorcycle isn't cheaper to operate than a car imho... I am not talking about myself, I am talking about in general, I believe there is a misconseption that motorcycles are "much much cheaper" than cars, when in fact they aren't :)

- Tires: cost more and last less on a bike

- Insurance: on average, motorcycles are more expensive than cars (I am certain you could pay less than $1200/year for insurance if you drove a small economy car... I pay $1500 a year for my house, 3 cars, and my Buell for full coverage and all options...).

- Gear: needed for motorcycle, not for cars (+ all the small stuff... new screen for helmet, fixing leather, replacing gloves, rain gear, etc etc... it's not negligible)

- Fuel: a small economy car will get you almost the same mileage, with a trunk and 3 more seats :)

- you forgot maintenance: not sure about that one, but my bet is that over 100k miles, and on average, the small economy car will cost you less overall...

Hey Kenny, either way, it's pretty close I am sure.... I was just reacting to your comment "bike = much cheaper to operate than car" :thumbup:

Price is to high, rip off dealer out here is even selling 0 mile 2009's for 6500 and with damage to the bike should be a lot less, hope you find a buyer but I don't think you will for 6000.

Price is to high, rip off dealer out here is even selling 0 mile 2009's for 6500 and with damage to the bike should be a lot less, hope you find a buyer but I don't think you will for 6000.
Agreed, $4,000 or less would be like the tops i would pay.

Honestly bro. Not trying to rain on your parade, or spit on your post here... but here are a few Low mile, perfect condition 08's for atleast $1,000 cheaper. When you factor in your damages, it drops the price WAAAY down... most of the time, people wanna buy a bike that is "good to go" not one that needs work from day one....

2008 Yamaha FZ6

2008 Yamaha FZ6 3000 miles

2008 YAMAHA FZ600

and those are just in the last month... Good luck bro... but a price reduction may be a good consideration...

David, forgot money saved on car washes. I use to pay about $10 every couple of weeks to get my truck washed. Here in Vegas, you get frowned upon if you attempted to wash your vehicle. Plus, the water sucks here, leaves way too many spots.

Maintenance: Opps, Yes, forgot that one, but again, I use to get my oil changed by taking it someplace, so I guess doing it myself on the bike becomes a wash.

I've owned my bike just over 3 years now, and I thnk I've spent a total $1000 in maintenance in 42,000 miles. Not including tires, which I am on my 2nd purchased set. And I haven't had my valve adjustment yet:spank:

Yes, a small, cheap fuel efficient car is probably real close. But not nearly as cool. and definately not nearly as fun.

Oh by the way, good luck on the sale to the OP, kind of got off topic. Sorry, as Defy said, free bump!

Last edited:
- Insurance: on average, motorcycles are more expensive than cars (I am certain you could pay less than $1200/year for insurance if you drove a small economy car... I pay $1500 a year for my house, 3 cars, and my Buell for full coverage and all options...).

Who is your insurance from? I definitely want to look into this if it's available out here. I pay almost $900/year just for my 07 FZ6, that's with my MSF discount and a clean record. I guess I need to shop around again!

AAA with package discount for having our house with them.

oh and the Buell is considered a "1200cc H-D" (that's what my title says), so it's cheap to insure (less than $500/year) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back