2010 Dragons Tail FZ6RC Meet.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll let you know if I need anything Mark, look forward to seeing you guys there! Not sure what the total cost will be at this time as I am trying to get the TX group locked down. I think the rent was like 1200 for the week and I was planning on about 8-9 + food. So the math would work out to about 160 or so I would guess. Food is a wildcard as I am winging it, was thinking about having each person responsible for 1 night, with the extra's being responsible for breakfast and snacks(where is steve when we need him!!). I'll let you know however as it gets closer.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Bump: My TX group is falling quickly and I thought I would see if there are any other FZ6's that may be interested. I'm the hook for the deposit at this time and unless I can come up with a few more. I may have to have Ron open it up. I have the house from 5/31-6/7 if your interested please chime in. Mark and Anthony are in already and I would hate to have to cancel.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Bump: My TX group is falling quickly and I thought I would see if there are any other FZ6's that may be interested. I'm the hook for the deposit at this time and unless I can come up with a few more. I may have to have Ron open it up. I have the house from 5/31-6/7 if your interested please chime in. Mark and Anthony are in already and I would hate to have to cancel.

Remind me again how much it would cost to join up? I've got some potential conflicts, but I'd also love to go, at least for part of the week. I also don't mind blowing a hundred bucks or so if it enables the group to hold onto the place.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have loved to go but my wife's position doesn't allow her to vacation the first week of any month. So, we're going in Sept with a group of FZ1 and other bikes.

Reaction score
Visit site
The latest from the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort page on facebook is that it will reopen 20 March. The resort seems to be transitioning most of its news/forum functions from the Dealsgap.com website to the facebook page, so that is probably the best place to keep up with any news involving Deals Gap and the dragon.
Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort | Facebook

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to post an update on US129. It appear our illustrious govenor, Tennessee's, has decided that the clean up will take long enough to close the Dragon at both end. The Dragon is closed just past the Foothills Parkway and at the NC state line.:mad:

Current talk is that the state is saying it could be as late as August before the site is cleared. We've been having rock slides all over the eastern part of Tennessee this winter and this one is not a priority. Probably because Gov. Bredeson doesn't like bikes and especially doesn't like the Dragon.

There's no definite timeline for the cleanup to be finished, but I thought it might be good to know in case a contigency plan is needed.

Check out post #58 from the East Tennessee Riders forum thread for a shot of the action at the TN/NC state line today...
Dragon is closed - Page 4 - EastTNriders.com

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to post an update on US129. It appear our illustrious govenor, Tennessee's, has decided that the clean up will take long enough to close the Dragon at both end. The Dragon is closed just past the Foothills Parkway and at the NC state line.:mad:

Current talk is that the state is saying it could be as late as August before the site is cleared. We've been having rock slides all over the eastern part of Tennessee this winter and this one is not a priority. Probably because Gov. Bredeson doesn't like bikes and especially doesn't like the Dragon.

There's no definite timeline for the cleanup to be finished, but I thought it might be good to know in case a contigency plan is needed.

Check out post #58 from the East Tennessee Riders forum thread for a shot of the action at the TN/NC state line today...
Dragon is closed - Page 4 - EastTNriders.com

What? (You mean you didn't believe them when they initially said it would take nearly four weeks to clear it up? : )

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
Having seen several pics of the slide, I wouldn't think it would take more than a month or two. They had the southbound lane clear a few days after, but TDOT is claiming the rock face may be unstable. Guess it's better to be safe than sorry, but with I-40 closed and now 129 too, that leaves going through Johnson City on I-26, US441 through the Smokeys and the Skyway to get from Tennessee to Western North Carolina. You would think the damage to interstate commerce would put a little fire under them and they would work a little faster.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
It really looks like this trip isn't going to happen. The lack of interest is really disappointing.

I need to put some plans in stone so I'm going to bow out of this trip. I will probably still be in the area as I have taken a weeks vacation, but I need to make sure I have a place to stay. I'll get ahold of a couple of hotels in the area and book a room for a few days. I hate to bow out, but I just have to make sure I have a place to stay while I'm there.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to post an update on the rock slide on the Dragon. TDOT has told all potential bidders for the cleanup to have the rock slide cleared no later than July 31st. There are still plenty of road to keep riders busy, but getting to Deals Gap is much more complicated coming from Tennessee now.

Reaction score
Visit site
It really looks like this trip isn't going to happen. The lack of interest is really disappointing.

I need to put some plans in stone so I'm going to bow out of this trip. I will probably still be in the area as I have taken a weeks vacation, but I need to make sure I have a place to stay. I'll get ahold of a couple of hotels in the area and book a room for a few days. I hate to bow out, but I just have to make sure I have a place to stay while I'm there.

I still plan on being there at least part of that week. If my wife doesn't come, I'll probably stay at the Microtel in Robinsville. If she does, we'll get a cabin, probably in Townsend. Anyway, I'll let you know when I find out exactly what days I'll be there. BTW, I just looked at the Deals Gap faceboook page and they are saying the Dragon should be back open sometime next week.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for teh late notice, my work schedule has forced me to give up my dates in May/June. I have re-booked for August 15-18 (Sun-Th), I will be in Birmingham for track days on the 14-15 and then heading up to Deals gap for monday-thursday. I have the Tree Tops booked for those dates. Anyone who is intersted just let me know there is plenty of room.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
This is so tempting!!!!!
Even before I got my bike I was already wondering when could I go to the Dragons Tail.

I'm very busy during summers at work, I won't be able to take some time off.

I remember reading somewhere that once you finish this ride "without falling" then you got your "Master's" in motorcycle riding!!!!

Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone is still going, please let me know so we can meet up. I'll be staying at the Microtel in Robbinsville. I will be coming in the evening of the 2nd and riding the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

Reaction score
Visit site
Reporting from Robbinsville:
I really hate it that no one else could make it this year. I did close to 300 miles today and riding conditions couldn't be better. Temperatures are perfect and the rock slide on the TN side has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Traffic on the dragon, or rather the lack of it, is great. I made 6 runs today and didn't get held up once. There are no semis or commercial vehicles at all. I saw maybe 6-7 cars total and bike traffic is also way down on the dragon and other roads as well. Besides riding solo, the only real downside for me is that I can't make my favorite loop due to the slide (Cherohala to 360 to 411 to 72 to 129 back to Robbinsville). On the upside, this may force me to explore some of the other roads around here I haven't ridden yet. If anyone has any recommendations, please share them. I hope that we can get this meet back together again for next year. It is just to much fun to let it die.