54.987 mpg.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
HAAAA!! Remember, I'm coming off of a TW200!!!! This FZ is a totally different animal! And thanks to everyone here I decided to buy the fizzy. Still trying to figure out the clutch. Can't shift it nearly as smooth as the TW. Just takes time I've heard.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HAAAA!! Remember, I'm coming off of a TW200!!!! This FZ is a totally different animal! And thanks to everyone here I decided to buy the fizzy. Still trying to figure out the clutch. Can't shift it nearly as smooth as the TW. Just takes time I've heard.

Yea, just have to get used to it, and the faster you shift it, the smoother it will get.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
After a whopping 127 miles I put in a 2.31 gallons. Better than I was expecting.

I've had 3 refills so far on my new '08. #1-44mpg, #2-44mpg, #3-45.8mpg. You should not complain.

UPDATE: I filled the tank today and got 47.3mpg. Here's hoping it keeps creeping up there. I'm just about at the 1000 mile mark.

Tim

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
After a whopping 127 miles I put in a 2.31 gallons. Better than I was expecting.

When you fill the tank, is it on the sidestand (for me, it is)? When you fill it, do you fill it to the flat metal neck until about half the neck is submerged in fuel (just as I do)? Also, when you think it's full, try to trickle a little more in there until the fuel level is about 1.5" above the neck, wait a few seconds and the fuel will sink to where the neck is about half full again; you can do this repeatedly.

I'm not sure how much many times you can do this but this extra fuel will change your MPG by maybe 1-2 mpg.

I love the fact you can ride fast on the highway and still get maybe a safe 200 mile range on a tank of gas :rockon:.

Dennis

mayoke

Reaction score
Visit site
I was doing my North Georgia Mountain loop this weekend. Took the highway up and did about 40 miles of twisties. Stopped at 124.7 miles for a fill up. Took EXACTLY 2.2 gallons. That's 56.68 mpg. During my "normal" city commuting, she gets about 43-44 mpg. I wasn't expecting that much of an improvement from highway mileage. I'm quite pleased. :thumbup:

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, reading these posts makes me think. The most I ever got on this bike is 44mpg and that was the very first tank full I threw in it. Now I am somewhere around 30-35mpg. Love the revs!!

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally get 55mpg (uk) but have had it up to 65mpg on the motorway cruising at 75mph.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen 63 MPG twice, touring in the mountains. This is a full tank each time, not a focused sample. I think I could get 70 MPG over a specific section of road if I tried to maximize the mileage.

Stock 04, standard gearing, 53,000 miles.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis and all, when I picked her up friday at 1pm, she was outside the front door in the sun (anout 85 deg.) I got off of my TW and glanced at the black FZ6 that had fluid dripping at the bottom center of the engine making the ashpault below turn a funny brown color!!! The spot was about 10" in diameter. I went in to find my salesman but he wasn't close by so I walked back outside to investigate the leak and look at the temporary tag. Sure enough it had MY NAME ON IT!!!! Now I'm a little paranoid although I have already ran the scenario over in my head!! Salesman knows I'm coming to pick her up around noonish. He pulls her around back and fills the tank to the very top so I'll be impressed and happy!! Parks the bike out front on the sidestand in the sun!!! I walk back to the service dept. where I saw the service manager and tell him my new bike is dripping gas. At that time my salesman arrives by my side and I tell him. He hurries outside and pushes the bike forward about 2 feet. Then reasons that he just filled her up and the sun has probably expanded the fuel!!!
So what I'm trying to get at is I know I didn't fill it as full with the 2.31 gallons but on the sidestand I had the fuel level all the way to metal thingy(?) inside the neck. So I really only got about 52 MPG!! Oh, I'm older and didn't run her over 55!!!! LOL. Used to my TW getting 80+ MPG.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I think the numbers here speak for themselves. We've got two groups of riders, those that average more than 45MPG, and those that get less.
You guys that get more than 45MPG do know the redline is 14k right, and that she's quite happy holding 9-11k?

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I've topped 55 mpg once, I think. A lot of highway riding w/only one stop on the way to the Dragon's Tail. I'm hanging in right around 42 mpg. My dad makes me sick on his Honda 919 getting 55 mpg city. Of course, he rides in 6th on roads I ride in 2nd. I try to tell him to rev his Honda up some and get those pipes to singing :)

He has Jardine pipes and PC on it. He really should twist it's ear a lil more often!

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to hurt her!!! She seems happy at 3500 rpm in 6th gear!!!! And I'm never(?) going to get used to the wind above 55 mph. Spent last night reading about the Calsci windscreens and just have to figur' out which one I want!! I think this help above 55 mph?? 8 or 9.5?