Air Box Mod, Sounds Good!

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys

This is basically just my take on the air box modification

Just lets more air through the filter so there is no way your letting too much for your engine in AND since all the air is still going through your filter there's no chance of anything you don't want getting in your engine.

Don't be lazy take the plastic off to drill it or you will get plastic shrapnel in your filter.

I went kind of drill happy before testing to see if the annoying sucking sound was gone so you may be able to get away with less holes than i did if you just want the annoying sound gone like i did.

Sounds like the engine can breathe now! I'm very happy with this free mod for your bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you!

Just an observation (nothing critical at all).

On your battery hold down cover (last pic), there's a fairly heavy cable that's supposed to be routed thru those two plastic "offsets" (look like upside down "L"s.). Opposite the red main positive cable.

The relay atop the battery also appears to be inserted in ONE tab only, there is a second tab (on yours currently, its outside the relay rubber mount).. Obviously moved for a battery change out.. (just did mine last week)

Next time the tanks up, something to do..:thumbup:

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you!

Just an observation (nothing critical at all).

On your battery hold down cover (last pic), there's a fairly heavy cable that's supposed to be routed thru those two plastic "offsets" (look like upside down "L"s.). Opposite the red main positive cable.

The relay atop the battery also appears to be inserted in ONE tab only, there is a second tab (on yours currently, its outside the relay rubber mount).. Obviously moved for a battery change out.. (just did mine last week)

Next time the tanks up, something to do..:thumbup:

Haha i actually saw the big wire after the picture and did it but i missed the relay tab thanks!

its 40ish degrees and cloudy and snowed earlier i think i'll take care of it now.. i love working on the bike few screws fairings are off.. nothing like my lexus..

Last edited:

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha i actually saw the big wire after the picture and did it but i missed the relay tab thanks!

its 40ish degrees and cloudy and snowed earlier i think i'll take care of it now.. i love working on the bike few screws fairings are off.. nothing like my lexus..

Did you notice a big difference other than the sound?
Do you have a power commander?

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
lift gas tank, take off air box, drill some holes in air box, put air box back on bike.

make sure you drill the holes front of the bike side of the air box so the air will still be going through the filter before entering the engine.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, :rockon:

It's up to you to experiment you can see how i did mine and i'm pretty pleased. if you have time i would start with just a few holes and add until your happy with sound.

I would keep the holes near to what i did in the picture. My reasoning is too big water danger? too small strange noise maybe?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Why not both? this adds airflow. So your filter is the only restriction at this point. get an aftermarket filter = even less restriction
Agreed. Cutting the box helps with the factory restriction and changing filters should help with filter restriction. Keep in mind though, most people on this forum actually dislike the K&N filter because while it does provide increased airflow, the filtration properties leave something to be desired.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
Also you're not likely to gain much because the ECU will compensate, I think the main benefit is you'll get better air flow for longer through your filter as it dirties - so you'll keep your power longer between filter changes