Annoying Ezpass Issue - Help!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So before I went naked, I used to mount my ezpass tag on the bottom side of my windscreen. Never had an issue with this even after around 7k miles ad many tolls. After going naked, I had to find a new way to mount it, so due to ease of installation, I decided to zip tie it directly onto the center handlebar stay.

This worked perfectly for around 2 weeks, and then all of a sudden stopped working. I figured all the vibrations may have knocked something loose on the aging tag, so I called them up and had a new one delivered. This time I used some rubber to "insulate" the tag when I mounted it to help reduce vibration abuse.

This worked well for about 3 days, and then this morning, again the tag did not work. This is becoming increasingly annoying and I dont understand why this is happening.

First, does anyone have any idea why my tags keep malfunctioning when mounted in this fashion? I really dont think that bumps in the road and vibrations could be breaking this thing, but I could be wrong. Perhaps its the metal bars interfering?

Second, since apparently this method will not work, does anyone have any other ideas where or how I could mount the tag to avoid this? A friend of mine told me he had similar issues in the past and took a dremel to the tag to remove the inner circuit board. He then taped it up wth electrical tape, and mounted it under his fly screen. Said he hasnt had an issue since, but I would like to avoid hacking it up if possible.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I put mine in the top pocket of my tank bag. If I don't take my tank bag I just put in the top pocket of my jacket !!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put in the top pocket of my jacket !!

This is listed on their website as a potential mounting location. Regardless of whether the tag works, your license plate is registered in their system in connection with the tag, so you'll get charged either way.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
This is listed on their website as a potential mounting location. Regardless of whether the tag works, your license plate is registered in their system in connection with the tag, so you'll get charged either way.

Agreed, but its the gate going up to let me pass that is the issue. Sick of having to stop, wait for an officer to come over, removing the pass, him having to scan it, then manually opening the gate. Its a waste of everyones time.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, but its the gate going up to let me pass that is the issue. Sick of having to stop, wait for an officer to come over, removing the pass, him having to scan it, then manually opening the gate. Its a waste of everyones time.

Wow, that's a pain. Why not get a cheap little tank bag to save the frustration? Plus they are super handy.

Cortech Micro Motorcycle Tank Bag

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity when mounted to your bars or in your pocket is the side that had the velcro facing up/out?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wondering if it's Radio Frequency Interference. There are so many detection devices today it's hard to imagine there won't be interference.

I have the same problem with when in certain locations with my car alarm. I can't talk to it with the remote until I put the remote right up to the alarm system. Normally it works a at 150 feet away.

There are so many devices running today that it is probably interference.

If your friend removed the plastic case, I doubt it would change anything unless it was covered with water or lined with foil.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity when mounted to your bars or in your pocket is the side that had the velcro facing up/out?

Yea, I mounted it with the correct orientation.

Cliff - Could be right. Maybe its due to the close proximity to my gauge cluster? Whatever it is, I need to get this figured out ASAP. I use my bike every day to commute to and from work and and this is becoming a major hassle.

Last edited:

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
i've had similar issues when the pass is in my jacket. i'm considering getting the external (black bar) tag and zip-tying it to the front of the radiator or somewhere else on the frame.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
i've had similar issues when the pass is in my jacket. i'm considering getting the external (black bar) tag and zip-tying it to the front of the radiator or somewhere else on the frame.

Yea, the one or two times I tried it in my jacket it didnt read, but I never used to have issues with it mounted under the windscreen. Really figured mounting it to the top of my bars with zip ties would be perfect and am very confused as to why I am having issues.

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Those tags are way too big! I don't have one, but am wondering if you could mount on the side of the frame (up at the top above your horn, where the VIN is stenciled...as long as the fork doesn't hit it) or if it could possibly fit under your side pod covers by your headlight? Also am thinking under the bottom fork clamp? Maybe you could try these areas for a bit and if one works well, disassemble it like your friend to make it disappear. Also am wondering how much room is behind your headlight area under the gauge?

I am a bit skeptical about the radio interference as you stated that you used to mount it to the bottom side of the windscreen which is just as close to the gauge cluster. Are these things that sensitive that they won't work unless line of sight? I am wondering what made it not work in your jacket?

Oh well, depending on how adventurous you are, I don't see why you couldn't mount it in the nice little area under the seat or on the backside of the frame under the tank, or under the tank. Yamaha has a nice isolating foam pad with self adhesive (one side only) that goes under the WR250R/X ECU if you wanted some special made stuff. I just wouldn't want the tag anywhere it could be seen and am guessing that it doesn't necessarily have to be at the front of the bike...just somewhere that the sensor can read it?

Maybe more questions than answers :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I think of it, I wonder if there is a loop like at traffic lights. It senses your vehicle and then sends the request to your EZ pass, EZ pass sends it's unique address and you pay your toll.

Loop doesn't detect your bike and there is no query, no toll paid? So the issue would not be the EZ pass itself. It might be the loop sensor in the ground.... Do you see a loop like at a traffic light? Maybe your kickstand down on the loop and you'll be on your way? :D

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^^^That may be it. When I went through a booth once, an expressway worker was there and said I didn't have to worry about paying as the sensors didn't capture bikes! That was an automated one. I usually just put the money in and it happily takes it, but I don't think it knows I am there.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stupid NY and their gates!! None of the tolls I pass have gates, so I never bother carrying the tag with me. As rsw81 mentioned, as long as your bike is registered to the tag, they'll charge you just fine using your plate.
However, if I did have to have the tag with me, I think I'd go for something like this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Chums-Arm-Band-Pass-Holder/dp/B000FH5S6Y]Arm Band Pass/ID Holder[/ame]

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm..not a bad idea. I could even stick it in there and then sow it to the front of my jacket. My only concern would be if the pass will even fit in there. Its a good half an inch thick and probably around 5"x5"

I just dont for the life of me get how where it is mounted now is not a sure shot way of doing things. It is perfectly visible, unobstructed, and set in the correct orientation. What could possibly be interferring??

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am considering velcro'ing it to the top of my tank. Wont be that pretty, and I hate to put anything sticky on there, but a good friend told me he has been doing that for years without issue.

Is there some way you could attach magnets to it? that way you wont have to leave the sticky velcro on your tank. Just gotta make sure you put something on the part of the magnet that comes in contact with the tank so it doesn't leave scratches.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there some way you could attach magnets to it? that way you wont have to leave the sticky velcro on your tank. Just gotta make sure you put something on the part of the magnet that comes in contact with the tank so it doesn't leave scratches.

Really good idea! :rockon: