Annoying whine

Dunny

Hit the road jack
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm riding a 2006 Fz6 owned since new with 8000 ks I am wondering if anybody is can hear a gearbox whine whilst riding, if so is there anything that can be done ie additive.

I like to leave the whining at home.

Dunny:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
something maybe with the air intake whine.. i'd have to go ridding to find out where in the powerband that whine is, but if its that howl type of whine, its the air intake..

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm riding a 2006 Fz6 owned since new with 8000 ks I am wondering if anybody is can hear a gearbox whine whilst riding, if so is there anything that can be done ie additive.

I like to leave the whining at home.

Dunny:

:rof::rof: Very subtle...I like it lol

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
It could very well be the square-cut gears in the tranny making the noise. MamaYama is famous for the whine in a variety of it's bikes. My Venture has it to a degree, the VMax I had a while back did too. Not too much you can do about it.

The whine in my FZ6 sounds kinda like a turbo spooling up. I've heard whine from other bikes that sounds like a banshee wailing. If it's the gears, changing out the clutch basket to a different series basket can help but all it does is move the whine to a different rpm range.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i get that too. sometimes i have thought that there was a firetruck or ambulance in the distance somewhere with its siren on, but nothing was there. it's faint, but still noticeable. i'd say i hear it in third gear around 8k. doesn't sound like something is wrong, just the way it is. now that i know it's just the bike i don't even notice it anymore, unless i listen for it.

B

bluenova

I think it's always there around the front sprocket but it's more noticable if your chain is too tight. Try moving your left knee out to the side and see if it gets louder.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same whine in 3rd gear, but it went away after I installed Shell Rotella T 5w40.
Mind you, I also started wearing earplugs around the time of the oil change.:rof:

Don't worry about the whine...it's quite normal for an FZ6. :thumbup:

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
I get that noise on mine too. I notice it the most when accelerating. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I think its the transmission. My old car used to make that same type noise when it was in reverse.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If the whine sounds anything like the new [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBmVNoG0Js&feature=related"]R1[/ame] or the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2pTkHutNVE"]Daytona 675 [/ame], its probably the tranny. Even the ZX-6R makes a slight whine at low RPMs, but once the bike picks up speed the sound is overshadowed by other mechanical noises.

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike got a LOT lower pitched after I did the airbox mod. It used to whine all the time and really pissed me off riding around 6-7k on the motorway. After I enlarged the intake, that's gone now! :cheer:

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike got a LOT lower pitched after I did the airbox mod. It used to whine all the time and really pissed me off riding around 6-7k on the motorway. After I enlarged the intake, that's gone now! :cheer:

sry for the dumb question but what's the benefit of the airbox mod? any cons? if any...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Search the forum for "Airbox Mod" and there are loads of post discussing it. It's probably not best to get into it here. There is one currently going in the mods section after I posted what I did. There are always differing opinions but the majority seems to be it won't do any harm even if the only benefit is reduced whine. I know it made a hell of an improvement on my bike. I'm not bothered about a performance increase really.