Anyone with UBER user experience

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the car service UBER or actually drive for this service. I would like to receive any feedback, whether it's positive or negative. I have yet to try this service and have always been dependent on taxis.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i like it a lot. gonna use it again this week when i take the bike in for service (see thread i made)

its a lot cheaper than a taxi, and in my experience arrives faster. had a friend use it at 4:00am last week and the car took 12 minutes to arrive and took him 36 miles for 40 bucks. it will take you four or five miles for five or six bucks. and you don't tip uber drivers

the cars range from the "uberX" econo cars all the way to high end luxury vehicles. you pay more money the "more car' you want. i have always opted for uberX which is usually a prius or civic or small econo sport utility

my drivers have always been neat and clean and polite and they use their own vehicles so tend to keep them in good shape. they are rated by you through the app when all is said and done so they want to provide good service

it works through gps on your phone. you sign up online, get connected with the phone app, and the driver finds your location through his own gps / app. you don't make a single phone call. the app will estimate your fare beforehand for you before you finalize the ride, and you're all set. just set your pick up location through the app / gps and the driver finds you like that. he will already know where you're going as you have entered your destination, too. he may call to find your exact location if its a busy area / address. but he'll already have your number, too. its all done through the phone and app. no cash changes hands, its all taken from your account with uber. so whatever cc or debit card you have on file with uber is charged, and the driver is paid by uber

its pretty sweet imo

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
the app will also let you know approx how many uber drivers are in your area and your driver's estimated time of arrival. and you can use it to get a taxi, too. for that you set a tip % amount on your uber account

image_2946_3.jpg

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used them a few times, always turned up when requested, clean cars. Drivers ok, some pleasant, some just drive, never had a bad one so far. Always been cheaper than a taxi.
Handy not needing cash to pay the cab.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used it a few times. No issues. If anything, even UberX cars are nicer than the standard Crown Vic taxi or even some of the newer hybrids.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I use it all the time, I think the amount of Uber drivers may be nearing cabbies in Chicago. Also, a year or so ago, just out of curiosity, I became an Uber driver (man I have odd hobbies). It only lasted a month or two.

I cant remember the last time I took a cab. Not having to carry cash (or hear it from the cabbie for putting it on a card), and knowing when they will show up is huge.

I took an uber to the airport, and it cost me about 25 bucks. Since Uber is unable to pick you up from the airport, I had to cab it home, it was over 40 bucks. So this should give you an idea about the cost savings. Obviously, you have to be aware of the surge pricing, but it lays it out for you.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, a year or so ago, just out of curiosity, I became an Uber driver (man I have odd hobbies). It only lasted a month or two.

Why did you give it up? No money? I understand there must be some sort of strategy/skill to make more than other drivers. Just like the cabbies in Vegas, there are high grossing drivers and then there are the sorry ass drivers.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Why did you give it up? No money? I understand there must be some sort of strategy/skill to make more than other drivers. Just like the cabbies in Vegas, there are high grossing drivers and then there are the sorry ass drivers.

I've noticed a few cities dropping rates after getting in the door with drivers - it makes it so that it's not as worth it for drivers. There's also not a ton of control of how many drivers are working a given area, so you could wind up with too many for the demand and have a hard time getting fares.

Overall, I love Uber, but I've been screwed once. In Chicago, late at night getting picked up from the bus station. Called an uber, on the way at 1.0x pricing. He cancels 2 minutes later, another on the way at 1.4x then cancels, followed by a third at 1.8x - it was pretty shiesty to see my price jump that much just because the drivers knew they could get more demand for different fares. But hey, still cheaper than a cab.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site

I never really took it seriously, but I stopped for a few reasons...

I have a 'real' job, and and the thought of me picking up someone I work with (boss or other executive) scared me.

I'm in Chicago, and am not great with cross streets. People would get in my car and say take me to (name two small streets in Chicago) and I'd give them the WTF look. Then I'd have to put the streets into my Iphone GPS and hope I got the right one. -This has been mainly fixed since the riders put the address into the phone, which is amazing. I may have kept driving if this was there.

I dont have a very economical or cheaply maintained car (mazdaspeed 6) so after doing some math I wasnt pulling in a ton of loot. If you live in a major metro, have a cheap car with good mpg, I'm sure you can do well.

Uber would take a 10-20% cut of the cut of the fare, the rest would go to the driver. Your phone will show you the areas that have 'surge' pricing, so the general idea is to spend the bulk of your time in those areas since fares may be doubled or more. They would also guarantee you an hourly 'wage' at times. They send out a weekly email stating if you work within x boundaries, we guarantee you will make 15-25 dollars an hour, or we will credit you the difference.

Let me know if there are any specific questions. Dont let my lack of effort give you a bad feeling :).

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed a few cities dropping rates after getting in the door with drivers - it makes it so that it's not as worth it for drivers. There's also not a ton of control of how many drivers are working a given area, so you could wind up with too many for the demand and have a hard time getting fares.

Overall, I love Uber, but I've been screwed once. In Chicago, late at night getting picked up from the bus station. Called an uber, on the way at 1.0x pricing. He cancels 2 minutes later, another on the way at 1.4x then cancels, followed by a third at 1.8x - it was pretty shiesty to see my price jump that much just because the drivers knew they could get more demand for different fares. But hey, still cheaper than a cab.

That is really odd, but I can see it happening.

If it makes you feel any better, Uber gives drivers a bunch of crap for cancelling on riders. You need to maintain a certain 'acceptance' or you could lose your privileges

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I downloaded the App but I have yet to hitch a ride with Uber. Interesting to see how many cars are available around your location and the ETA. I tried out the fair estimator, and believe it or not, it's not that much cheaper than a taxi here in Boise.

The driver forum is a very interesting read.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I worked for Uber when was between jobs. Thank God for such company where you can have a job any time. I liked driving for it cas you have no boss to report to, stress free, and you make your own hours.
However, with the rates UberX has, you can't make a serious living on if you have mortgage, kids and wife out of work. It will keep you on-float though till you get a normal job. Good for people with working spouse, or with little bills to pay, part-timers, or if you like to drive here-and-there to make extra money (like to buy another bike :)).
Uber is aiming for driverless cars, although I don't see it happens any time soon.

Last edited:

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I downloaded the App but I have yet to hitch a ride with Uber. Interesting to see how many cars are available around your location and the ETA. I tried out the fair estimator, and believe it or not, it's not that much cheaper than a taxi here in Boise.

The driver forum is a very interesting read.

Are you factoring tip into the equation as well (tip is included with uber)? If not that could be an additional 20 %

Also, I'm a big fan of using it in cities I'm not familiar with. They email you a reciept and the exact gps route taken, so you know that someone didn't just drive you around racking up the fare.

Btw make sure you use a promo code before you take your first ride. Typically gives you 20 bucks for free, and the person that gives you a promo code usually gets something too

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you factoring tip into the equation as well (tip is included with uber)? If not that could be an additional 20 %

Also, I'm a big fan of using it in cities I'm not familiar with. They email you a reciept and the exact gps route taken, so you know that someone didn't just drive you around racking up the fare.

Btw make sure you use a promo code before you take your first ride. Typically gives you 20 bucks for free, and the person that gives you a promo code usually gets something too

You have a.promo code? The Uber fare estimator calculates 1.75 per mile with a base charge that begins at $2.50. No tip.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used it in Denver, Memphis and Mystic.

The Denver ride was $20 each way, kinda pricey for only a 4 mile ride.

Memphis was reasonable, only $8 bucks each way.

Mystic was okay, $9 one ride but the driver dropped us off a long way from our destination. The second ride was $16 but we had 5 people. Still reasonable.

Overall a good experience.