Best Insurance?

You guys be careful not to get too upset when someone pays less or more than you. Reason being, is insurance premiums are very state dependent and depending on where you live affects the overall premium almost as much as the kind of bike you're riding.

I also have shelter insurance and was really surprised when my agent said I couldn't get covered. I have progressive coverage atm for the fz6, but would love to have it covered with my other numerous shelter policies.

Having worked in claims for 9 years prior to my current position, I can honestly say that we will take care of you. I love working for this company and I love this company. I just wish we'd revisit a few of the bikes we don't cover and reconsider accepting them with proper caution.

BTW, thank you for your business! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Well, I went to Nationwide, State Farm, and Allstate today.

First, I am 27 years old, I have nothing on my record. No tickets, no accidents, nothing! The agent at State Farm was pretty surprised when she saw nothing on my record.

The cheapest full coverage insurance I can get is 403.67 per year and that is with a $1000 deductible! I paid $2300 for my bike. I am not going to pay $400+ a year for insurance!

At shelter for liability I am paying $76.67 per year! I would be willing to pay up to $200 to make sure if my bike is stolen that I am covered. But I am unwilling to pay 1/5 the price of the bike when I store it in storage for 4 months each year.

I am pretty shocked at how expensive it all was and inexpensive Shelter is. Even the other companies liability premiums were at least $260! Crazy!

Well, I went to Nationwide, State Farm, and Allstate today.

First, I am 27 years old, I have nothing on my record. No tickets, no accidents, nothing! The agent at State Farm was pretty surprised when she saw nothing on my record.

The cheapest full coverage insurance I can get is 403.67 per year and that is with a $1000 deductible! I paid $2300 for my bike. I am not going to pay $400+ a year for insurance!

At shelter for liability I am paying $76.67 per year! I would be willing to pay up to $200 to make sure if my bike is stolen that I am covered. But I am unwilling to pay 1/5 the price of the bike when I store it in storage for 4 months each year.

I am pretty shocked at how expensive it all was and inexpensive Shelter is. Even the other companies liability premiums were at least $260! Crazy!

Have you tried annoying redhead yet to see what they can do?

Have you tried annoying redhead yet to see what they can do?

I do like redheads...not that one though. Yuck!

I will do some searching still. I would prefer to have some theft coverage, but no way in hell am I going to spend $400 to insure the thing for a a year.

I will let everyone know how it turns out.

A 2,300 dollar bike (most likely worth less now) isn't worth full coverage insurance for what you will have to pay. Spend a few more bucks on bigger stronger cables and locks.

USAA has a good deal partnered with Progressive, if you qualify. I pay $180 a year for liability, comp/coll., un/underinsured, and towing. I used to go through Geico and they wanted $210 a year just for liability.

A 2,300 dollar bike (most likely worth less now) isn't worth full coverage insurance for what you will have to pay. Spend a few more bucks on bigger stronger cables and locks.

I should note that I spent $2300 on the bike (it was a great deal!) but it retails for $4300 on average:

2006 Yamaha FZ6 Standard Equipment, 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Price & Specs | NADAguides

The way I see it though, I paid $2300 on my bike and paying 1/5 the price each year for insurance seems crazy! I am currently looking into alarms and stronger cables/locks. I am a complete newbie, so I am searching but not sure what I am searching for. good thing I have this forum for guidance.

I should note that I spent $2300 on the bike (it was a great deal!) but it retails for $4300 on average:

The way I see it though, I paid $2300 on my bike and paying 1/5 the price each year for insurance seems crazy! I am currently looking into alarms and stronger cables/locks. I am a complete newbie, so I am searching but not sure what I am searching for. good thing I have this forum for guidance.

Consider taking a Motorcycle Safety Class, depending on the insurance company, you can save up to 30%.

Some insurance companies, such as State Farm will not give you a discount for taking the class, but the majority of the companies will.

Consider taking a Motorcycle Safety Class, depending on the insurance company, you can save up to 30%.

Some insurance companies, such as State Farm will not give you a discount for taking the class, but the majority of the companies will.

I am signed up for the MSF course for May 3-5. No way would I consider riding this motorcycle without taking that course!

I am going to go back to State Farm and All State tomorrow and bring in my Shelter Mutual Insurance papers. If they can't get me theft protection for $180/yr (like my buddy who is 24 is paying) then I will just have to stick with liability insurance I guess.

I will see what they say tomorrow and comment about it.

Just take into consideration what full coverage will cost you, and what they're going to be paying you (after your deductible) if it gets totaled, stolen, whatever. If they're going to pay you $2500 (say, $3k value, $500 deductible) and full coverage costs you $500 extra a year... in 5 years you could have what they'd pay you (or more, since they're probably going to give you less, say, 3-5 years from now) by not having that full coverage.

90% of the reason I'd want full coverage would be theft, and comp. Aside from someone taking it, or me wacking a deer, full coverage is insuring against my own stupidity. I'm already covered against other drivers' stupidity, which is my #1 concern, even during deer season... in many areas, people are even dumber than deer. :rolleyes:

I've got Progressive/USAA, liability costs me under $10 a month, even in MD. When I was in OR, I added a bunch of med pay (not a bad idea) because with good liability alone, I was below their minimum (like $75 a year there, IIRC) so adding something only cost me a few bucks a year. I've had horrible experiences with State Farm and Farmer's/Foremost. Foremost almost got their insured sued with how they handled it when I got rear-ended, it took me months and a whole buncha PITA to get anything out of them. The ones who handled my medical stuff were from Farmer's and were decent enough, but the ones handling my bike and gear were Foremost (their non-auto/home arm) and were the most infuriating morons I've ever dealt with. State Farm tried to claim they weren't responsible when their insured rear-ended my wife a few years ago, had I not been in Iraq, that kid would have ended up in court in a hurry.

90% of the reason I'd want full coverage would be theft, and comp. Aside from someone taking it, or me wacking a deer, full coverage is insuring against my own stupidity. I'm already covered against other drivers' stupidity, which is my #1 concern, even during deer season... in many areas, people are even dumber than deer. :rolleyes:

I've got Progressive/USAA, liability costs me under $10 a month, even in MD. When I was in OR, I added a bunch of med pay (not a bad idea) because with good liability alone, I was below their minimum (like $75 a year there, IIRC) so adding something only cost me a few bucks a year. I've had horrible experiences with State Farm and Farmer's/Foremost. Foremost almost got their insured sued with how they handled it when I got rear-ended, it took me months and a whole buncha PITA to get anything out of them. The ones who handled my medical stuff were from Farmer's and were decent enough, but the ones handling my bike and gear were Foremost (their non-auto/home arm) and were the most infuriating morons I've ever dealt with. State Farm tried to claim they weren't responsible when their insured rear-ended my wife a few years ago, had I not been in Iraq, that kid would have ended up in court in a hurry.

Agreed about the theft protection. That is the only reason I want full coverage: to be covered if I walk outside to hop on my bike and it's gone!

I am not sure what I will do, if I can get full coverage for under $200 a year, I would do it in heart beat!

Agreed about the theft protection. That is the only reason I want full coverage: to be covered if I walk outside to hop on my bike and it's gone!

I am not sure what I will do, if I can get full coverage for under $200 a year, I would do it in heart beat!

I just checked mine, it would cost me $150ish to add collision and comp, and up my med pay from $1k to $2.5k. Not a ton, but also about triples what I'm paying. Enough that I'd be tempted to drop coverage for the winter... which sucks, because then I couldn't go for a random ride if there was a nice day during winter. :(

I'd have to call them and see what they'd be paying, my '04 has a salvage/recon title, I only paid $2200 for it. Honestly, I'd be more pissed at my mods walking off than the bike itself. :eek: If they'd only offer me $1500ish if something did happen, I'll keep my money and eat the risk myself.

Well, I had my motorcycle locked up to a light pole and just saw a notice that I need to move my motorcycle immediately or they would tow it on 4-22-13. It's not in the way of anything, but whatever.

Here is my current "theft insurance" and it cost $160 all together after tax:
1 Motorcycle Cover
2 3.5 feet 20mm steel cables
1 15ft 12mm steel cable
1 Car axle

This is the only thing I can do right now. I need to get disc locks for the front and rear. Hopefully if a thief looks at this they will just say, "Aw screw it." Haha

Last edited:
If you keep that naked conversion, I probably wouldn't worry about theft too much. :p

Kind of kidding... kinda. :p

At 26 years old with a brand new M license and a 2008 FZ6, State Farm quoted me $25/mo. That includes theft and collision but no medical. I'm not sure why yours would be more expensive for an older bike and a less crime-ridden area...

Also, those bicycle locks wouldn't last 2 seconds against a pair of 36" bolt cutters.

Only have liability on mine and it costs $75/year through Progressive. I'm single and 30 years old and haven't had a citation in over 10 years. I also have my car insured through them, so I get a bit of a discount.

Getting married is the best thing I have done for my car/motorcycle insurance rates!

I'm 34 with a clean record and pay $125/year for full coverage on my FZ6 with 500 deductibles on Comp & Collision through Progressive. This includes $10,000 in medical payments in the event of an accident which is helpful since we all know that health insurance usually only pays about 60-75% of medical costs these days if you are lucky.

I really don't worry much about theft. I usually store the bike in my basement but if it were in the driveway a thief is more likely to get shot or attacked by dogs than steal personal property out here in the country!

Last edited:
Well, I had my motorcycle locked up to a light pole and just saw a notice that I need to move my motorcycle immediately or they would tow it on 4-22-13. It's not in the way of anything, but whatever.

Here is my current "theft insurance" and it cost $160 all together after tax:
1 Motorcycle Cover
2 3.5 feet 20mm steel cables
1 15ft 12mm steel cable
1 Car axle

This is the only thing I can do right now. I need to get disc locks for the front and rear. Hopefully if a thief looks at this they will just say, "Aw screw it." Haha

A thief can buy a bolt cutter for $25 after tax. :thumbup:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308911_200308911?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Hand%20Tools-_-Cutters-_-558397&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=558397&gclid=CKCMp7-U37YCFQFp4AodhVQAbQ

Last edited:
Back