Bike would not crank, fault code 12

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So rode just less than 5 minutes away to a store, and when I got back on my bike to leave, the bike would not crank. Just the red oil light would stay on, no fault code at the beginning. The fuel pump came on, because I heard it. I wiggled my engine cutoff switch multiple times, but it's a new switch so I doubt that it was the problem. My engine sounded fine prior, no ticking and the Crankshaft Position Sensor is less than 40k miles on the clock as it was replaced. But I was very concerned with the fault code.

I started to remove my seat and go through the process of lifting my tank up to disconnect the battery and hopefully reset everything. But since I was in the parking lot, I decided to walk my bike about a 100 feet to seek some shade. For the heck, I decided to crank it up and it did.

So what do you think was the problem? Did moving the bike in neutral adjust the position of the sensor or something? I rode home immediately but now I'm scared to death to go anywhere.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ken,
I think if it's throwing that #12 it may be that the replacement CPS is okay but possibly the plug is partially separated. Can you physically trace the wires from the right side case on your engine to see if there is a plug that may be loose?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ken,
I think if it's throwing that #12 it may be that the replacement CPS is okay but possibly the plug is partially separated. Can you physically trace the wires from the right side case on your engine to see if there is a plug that may be loose?

If it's a loose wire or plug, wouldn't my engine seize while riding from all of the vibration or bumps?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's a loose wire or plug, wouldn't my engine seize while riding from all of the vibration or bumps?
That's how intermittent connections can behave. It's worth looking at the connector...:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Gramer police:
Wording is a bit aggressive there... Stop running may be a better description.
Seize is more of a end all, "she's done", as if you drained the fluids and took off across the desert. With no oil or water, the engine will seize. :/
So you did not lift the tank?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff what connectors and where should I be looking at?

Randy, I will correct my diction in the future to won't run.

Someone at work mentioned I should replace my key. Not sure if a very worn out key would cause the fault code. I went out last night to Wal Mart and it fired up to and from. Then rode to go eat and it fired up but when I stopped to refuel it didn't crank up again. After 5 minutes of pushing the bike it started up again. Fired up this morning for work too

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff what connectors and where should I be looking at?

Randy, I will correct my diction in the future to won't run.

Someone at work mentioned I should replace my key. Not sure if a very worn out key would cause the fault code. I went out last night to Wal Mart and it fired up to and from. Then rode to go eat and it fired up but when I stopped to refuel it didn't crank up again. After 5 minutes of pushing the bike it started up again. Fired up this morning for work too

CPS is Far Bottom Right; Its a TWO PIN CONNECTOR.... Right by the Sync hose (pink Stripe)
attachment.php

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The key won't cause any electrical error. Also you might check your ECU plug because that's where the CPS wires are also connected to.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
<<SNIP>>

Someone at work mentioned I should replace my key. Not sure if a very worn out key would cause the fault code.

If the key allows the switch to turn to the run position, there is nothing to be gained by replacing the key. It is now in hands of the switch to pass current to the designated systems. That said, the switch and the key tumbler/lock asm can be separated, but they are sold as a pair.

IMO - key is not at fault. More likely a busted wire somewhere that randomly makes/breaks connection.

What kind of temperatures are you seeing down there - 100°+F ??

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
 Fault code 12 from the S1 manual;

Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
 Defective crankshaft position sensor.
 Malfunction in pickup rotor.
 Malfunction in ECU.
 Improperly installed sensor.

If there is a malfunction, repair it and connect it securely.
Crankshaft position sensor coupler
Main wiring harness ECU coupler

Repair or replace if there is an open or short
circuit between the main wiring harnesses.
Between sensor coupler and ECU coupler.
Gray - Gray
Black/ Blue - Black /Blue

Same as posted above...

Last edited: