Burning smell???

aussienaked

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the day off today so took the bike for a run. About 30 mins into the ride I started to smell a smell lilke burning wood. Checked the bike and couldn't see anything wrong (not that I'd really know anyway). Before I take it to the mechanics does anybody have any ideas???

I know the smell you mean,I filled up at a different servo once and had that smell for the entire tank,other than that I have no idea sorry.

EDIT:does remind me of an old joke though.
One guy says to another guy.Do you smoke after sex ?
answer,dunno,never looked !

A eucalyptusy kind of smell? I've noticed (especially when the road has just dried out after a bit of rain) that I was getting a burning wood kind of smell.

I put it down to bits of leaf matter etc. heating up and causing the smell.

It doesn't seem to harm anything and wasn't an unpleasant stink so I just ignored it.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

Had the day off today so took the bike for a run. About 30 mins into the ride I started to smell a smell lilke burning wood. Checked the bike and couldn't see anything wrong (not that I'd really know anyway). Before I take it to the mechanics does anybody have any ideas???
I've had that happen to me a handful of times, I think we need to remember that outside smells easily affect us.

By that I mean everytime I thought it was my bike it was always a smell from somewhere else.

As my bike smelled strange, my radiator fan died. But it was a smell like overheated/burning electronic wires.

BR Robert

I find it so ironic you mention it smelt like eucalypt!!!!
I put $10 of fuel in the bike the other day, and right away as I rode home thats the exact burning smell I got for a very short while.
I just assumed that there was a leaf stuck somewhere along my headers/exhaust that was starting to burn!

I've been noticing a smell coming from my bike also after i park it and get off.
The smell is definitely coming from the bike. I checked under the seat to see if it could be something heating up from the underseat exhaust -nothing.

My bike only has about 1900 miles on it now. I never noticed it before until recently.
???:don'tknow:

Check the fuel tank drain hoses that are routed near the exhaust above the hugger. That's the problem I had. Smelled like burning oil every time I stopped the bike.

I've been noticing a smell coming from my bike also after i park it and get off.
The smell is definitely coming from the bike. I checked under the seat to see if it could be something heating up from the underseat exhaust -nothing.

My bike only has about 1900 miles on it now. I never noticed it before until recently.
???:don'tknow:

Have you been in the rain recently ?? Or ridden over a wet patch ?? Im sure you'll find the smell is just the crap that collects on the header pipe where the 4 go into 1 , usually means its time to give her a bath :thumbup:

Back