Changing Starter Moter

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the video! It's gonna rain tonight and maybe tomorrow but no rain for a few days after that. I don't have a place inside where I can work just yet. I need to get a little ramp then I can bring it in the shed and work on it. Thought I had one but I can't find it.
[video]https://www.facebook.com/sherry.west.319/videos/vb.1368501625/10212846769268545/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1491354477542897[/video] Here is little video of how it sounds, seemed to start better today, not so draggy. How does it sound? If you can hear it ok. Maybe if it's not raining when I get home tomorrow I can take for a ride around the neighborhood and take a little video when it's hot, sounded worse last night.
Gonna order a new starter and go over all the wiring while I'm waiting for it to come in. Was gonna start on that this evening but something else I had to care of came up. Where's a good place for starter? This is how I learn things right? :thumbup:
Ya'll know I really appreciate all the help!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't open that link as I'm not on FB... I wouldn't buy a starter just yet.

You need to check the battery (as I posted earlier) AND checking the running voltage. Could be a simple battery issue now..

Do your dash lights flicker or dim when CRANKING?

*Also, when the bikes running, there shouldn't be a peep coming from the starter, it's not turning (or shouldn't be)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
https://youtu.be/KsiAvLS0VSc
Hope you can see this one.
Codes too, I want to check for codes. I had seen a few posts from FinalImpact that explained it in detail.

@00:40, did geese fly out of your motor? WTF was that? Blah

Ya, for an FZ thats a bit slower.... as said, get volt meter on there and measure batt voltage:
Key off
Key on
Cranking
Idle
Running at say 3500 RPM....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It didn't sound slow cranking to me..

Maybe the geese, before they exited the engine slowed it down...

You still DIDN'T ANSWER if the dash lights dim or FLICKER when CRANKING..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL! I don't think those are geese. If there is an anomaly I'm not hearing it. I could imagine a number of sounds that may be masked in the audio but I'm not hearing s specific sound that alarms me. I hear what seems to be valve train noise but nothing really jumps out at me. The turn over speed sounds normal to me. :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess mine just eager to go! Cranks swiftly and 99% of the time is running in less than 2 seconds of cranking.

I listened from a tablet... seriously it sounded like geese flew over! =,)

We need battery voltages.....

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Lights don't flicker, nothing dims. And yeah, ducks or geese. We also have owls with 3 baby owls this year. No rain today so will get those battery readings when I get home

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lights don't flicker, nothing dims. And yeah, ducks or geese. We also have owls with 3 baby owls this year. No rain today so will get those battery readings when I get home

Haha! Geeser's (fowl) FTW! :cheer:

Thx for the entertainment!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks pretty normal although even at 14.10 I'd guess the battery is still not fully charged???
Does bike have dual headlight?

Definitely cranking faster here than previous vid. How does everything else sound?

One last thing. After he/she sits overnight, measure the battery voltage before starting....

You can do it from here, remove seat, probe the RED & BLACK wires...
Shown is Cold start, @ 1500 RPM, 14.4vdc

Just keep a mental note of what you see. Highs an lows ect..

Good job, baby steps but progress, yes?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now then, about all those birds!!!! PM me your basics location. That is so cool!!!! What a great sound to hear every day!!!!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The dropping down to 9 volts DOES concern me when cranking.. A REAL load test, for free, at any auto parts store would be done...

It does crank over quickly (I don't see an issue there)

****Randy did you watch to the very end where the voltages drop off to almost nothing?******

Justified, did you have a loose connection or WHY the change in voltage at the end??? The 14 volts is great, just at the end, WTH?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Drop was a product of vibes and not enough hands I'd guess... hence her comment.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I need clippies on my meter :) or another hand, maybe 2. They had fallen off the battery posts

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, bike sat overnight and here's what I got...key off 12.98, key on 12.74, starting it dropped to 7.96 at the lowest then raise the rpm and back up to 14.27. Was kinda draggy tonight starting up but other than that sounded pretty good

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked online and just bought this battery last Sept. Think when it drained the other day messed it up & just get another?